lightning collector status?

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
so here is my situation. i am going to put my lightning back on the road now that my rebuild is done. but in doing so i am looking into registering and insuring it under a collector stauts for here in new jersey. the only problem is that the insurance company is requiring some sort of literature or articles stateing the trucks "collector status". i imagine the build certificate from svt will do but i'm looking for at least a couple more items. so this is where i ask if any of you guys can help me out and point me in the right direction.

thanks
-ed

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Well for one... the Powered By SVT book by Jim Campisano.

I believe the website is still up Ford SVT? I'll have to see if I can still
find the link.

speedfreek88

-Skinny Pimp Racing-
Established Member
search for Powered by SVT book on google. get your build number and certificate... tell them to F*** off its a lightning!

2000txsvt

Established Member
I've been getting collector car insurance quotes lately. If your company is asking those questions you mentioned don't use them. So far my quotes are ranging from $650/year down to $350 per year for the same coverage. This is compared to almost $900 per year for my regular car insurance which would only cover half the value that the collector car insurance will cover. I've been getting quotes for 35K where I'm sure the most regular insurance companies pay out would be in the 15K range.

The only thing I don't like is that none of the collector car insurances will cover you when racing. One even said they won't cover you at all if you ever intend to race. My current insurance doesn't have a racing exclusion which I'm told is fairly unusual.

The legitimate collector car insurances I talked to have the Lightning listed on their list and just asked for photos and some details of modifications upon enrollment. Some of the more crappier companies like Gieco classic car want you to get an expensive appraisal and they still cost almost as regular insurance.

00SVTStrike

Established Member
I never realized youc ould put that on newer vehicles. Maybe I should have done that with my #0005 L .....Or at least have kept it.. :cryying:

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
thanks for the replies guys. i saw the wikepedia thing and the ford svt registry one and the thing to get the build certificate as well. those few should pretty much cover the collector status issue. i mean if they werent of some collector like nature then why would they offer a registry and build certificates. i dont know of any of that being offered for an every day vehicle.
as for the insurance company. the one i was looking at is here in jersey (american collectors insurance) and seems pretty reputable. they were saying something like 450ish for a year coverage with vehicle value at around 25-30k and standard deductables. the other advantage to this is that the truck will also be eligable for collector registration. which make it exempt from standard motor vehicle inspections, such as emmissions and tinted windows. i think however they do have mileage limitations but that is really no problem for me. the truck is an 02' with 28k on the clock. i'd be lucky if i put on 5 of it on in the last three years.

thanks

Scarpino

Established Member
i'd be lucky if i put on 5 of it on in the last three years.

thanks[/QUOTE]

:eek: :bs:

I had to raise that one...but it is a seriously low mile vehicle...I wish I could say the same thing! I Find myself say" No..I'll drive" even to check the mail!:rockon:

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
i'd be lucky if i put on 5 of it on in the last three years.

thanks

:eek: :bs:

I had to raise that one...but it is a seriously low mile vehicle...I wish I could say the same thing! I Find myself say" No..I'll drive" even to check the mail!:rockon:[/QUOTE]

well ever since i started my new job about three years ago the truck sits more than it's driven. i work at an asphalt plant and the yard is exremely muddy and dusty. i drove it my first week and said f this and bought a daily beater. between work and the family stuff there is only seldom occasions that i get to drive it (me my wife and 3 kids in car seats would be tough to fit). maybe to get parts a trip to the track every now and again and some random joy rides (one which led to the early demise of my stock block, which was last nov.) i seem to remember that when i got my job i had 25k and change on the clock now there is 28432 so that isn't even 5k. not only that, i do have to break up some of the use between the truck and my 87' lx so now maybe it is more believable that i have such low usage on the truck. trust me i wish i could use it more, especially now because i have to break in the new motor. with that kinda use it will take me a year to get 1000 on it.:rolling:

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
Will any insurance cover you at the track?I got statefarm.I always wondered this incase I get in a wreck at the track should I forget to even mention it?

LINOGT

Established Member
thanks for the replies guys. i saw the wikepedia thing and the ford svt registry one and the thing to get the build certificate as well. those few should pretty much cover the collector status issue. i mean if they werent of some collector like nature then why would they offer a registry and build certificates. i dont know of any of that being offered for an every day vehicle.
as for the insurance company. the one i was looking at is here in jersey (american collectors insurance) and seems pretty reputable. they were saying something like 450ish for a year coverage with vehicle value at around 25-30k and standard deductables. the other advantage to this is that the truck will also be eligable for collector registration. which make it exempt from standard motor vehicle inspections, such as emmissions and tinted windows. i think however they do have mileage limitations but that is really no problem for me. the truck is an 02' with 28k on the clock. i'd be lucky if i put on 5 of it on in the last three years.

thanks

let me know how this goes:??: I'm in the same boat, I used my truck maybe ones a week on my day off.

Charlie41

SiFi junky
Established Member
Will any insurance cover you at the track?I got statefarm.I always wondered this incase I get in a wreck at the track should I forget to even mention it?

They will drop you like a hot potato! Get separate insurance for the lightning. Try some of the specialty insurance company's listed on the NHRA site.

Charlie

2000txsvt

Established Member

Its usually buried in the policy. My former State Farm had it in there, but my Farmers insurance doesn't. You certainly don't want to mention it otherwise they might add that exclusion in there if you didn't have it already.

Users who are viewing this thread