Lighting / TrailBlazer SS comparison

Bird

Old and tired............
Established Member
Lightning / TrailBlazer SS comparison

Feeling a little down last night because of cancelled t-n-t at the track due to earlier rain - wanted to go better my previous times, but got a nice surprise. Wife finally brought home a TB/SS from the dealership for me to check out - I really gotta say, this thing was nice. Ride was smooth and predictable, handling was good, power was extremely noticable, fit and finish were quite commendable. Overall - a very good impression - not bad at all for a hi-perf SUV.

Now for the fun part - taking it out on the road - WOT blasts in this thing are decieving. You mash the go pedal, enjoy the ride and then look down at the speedo and wonder how it got there that quickly. Sure didn't feel like it......

OK, now the comparison part - Lightning is better handling (thanks TVS), but rides a little stiffer, quality is pretty close to the same with more high tech in the TB/SS. Not quite as much driver room in the TB, but that's not what most 'normal sized' people would notice.

It's time for the really good part - the race...............
Got my neighbor and we took them out (he's a pretty good racer, but I won't let him drive the 'L' by himself - I'd lose it). We did a few different senarios - dig, roll, etc.

Results: Raped him like a fresh young virgin just incarcerated in a maximum security prison - actually thought I could hear the TB/SS screaming in pain (probably not - my blower/exhaust was way too loud). All of this was on the F-1's, but still had the T-bars on, so the dig wasn't bad at all. One time he even tried jumping me from a roll - nope, didn't work - he was soon in my rear view and fading, just like all the other times.

Conclusion: I liked it and would seriously consider getting one if I was in the market - I've always liked the TB's she normally drives, but this is even better.

Now, if only I could get her to bring a Z06 home for the weekend to play with.................... :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Bird

Last edited:

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
I take she works at a dealership. Those TB are really nice. I like the look and for a full-size SUV not bad on power.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
i like them as well. although if i needed an suv id prefer to go with the gcsrt8, but the tbss is still a nice ride. on average they are running low 14's in stock form.

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
you're only mod's are an exhaust and tune and you ran a 12.5???? i must be missing something here. not saying stock for stock out L's wouldnt walk all over the tb/ss's but a 12.5 seems mad low for so few mods

Bird

Established Member
SkippyMcGee said:
you're only mod's are an exhaust and tune and you ran a 12.5???? i must be missing something here. not saying stock for stock out L's wouldnt walk all over the tb/ss's but a 12.5 seems mad low for so few mods

Been a while since I updated my configuration on my signature - running a pulley, one of those ported blowers that kill power and a C&L upper - just recently retuned since those last numbers were posted a month ago with basically these same parts, so those numbers are going lower as soon as I can get back to the track.

Bird

ps. There - it's fixed now

Last edited:

TXRickC

Established Member
We recently picked up an 2006 2WD TBSS to replace our Mach 1. I'ts rated 395hp / 400tq and weights in close to a Lightning. Been reading on the TBSS related sites 13.7-14.2 stock ar the 1/4 miles times (2wd being slightly faster since it's lighter than the AWD option although the AWD version could get a better 60ft)
040706asm.jpg

boca ron

Banned
yup, you got a good one, prolly built on a wednesday, for so few mods its hard for guys to see how your running so good especially the trap speed is awesome at over 110 alot f kb guys are not running that speed ,, keep us posted on new times.

Bird

Established Member
boca ron said:
yup, you got a good one, prolly built on a wednesday, for so few mods its hard for guys to see how your running so good especially the trap speed is awesome at over 110 alot f kb guys are not running that speed ,, keep us posted on new times.

Actually, built on a Tuesday 08-07-2001 - with the factory blower/upper, it still went 108 mph previously, but now I'm running that 'power killing ported blower'...............lol (must be that C&L upper that did it)

Bird

boca ron

Banned
power killin yeah right mine killed power to 11.5 @ 119 stage 3 stiegey hehe i guess we wer erained out last night too went and stuck in 15 gal of 110 and called track till 1 hr past gate opeening and got no answer so didnt go ill try agai tommorow

URBAN COWBOY

CITY SLICKER
Established Member
TXSVTLIGHTNING said:
We recently picked up an 2006 2WD TBSS to replace our Mach 1. I'ts rated 395hp / 400tq and weights in close to a Lightning. Been reading on the TBSS related sites 13.7-14.2 stock ar the 1/4 miles times (2wd being slightly faster since it's lighter than the AWD option although the AWD version could get a better 60ft)
040706asm.jpg

Damn, I didn't even know GM had made this thing. I do remember reading about it awhile back in Truck Trend mag. Pretty nice SUV. Ford should have made the Adrenalin to compete with it.

URBAN COWBOY

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
Not to get off topic, what are your #s boca ron? 11.5 at 119! NICE!
The ss is a nice ride, a guy down the block got one and he knows I got a L. Im just waiting to get my truck back. :)

SkippyMcGee

Established Member
Bird said:
Been a while since I updated my configuration on my signature - running a pulley, one of those ported blowers that kill power and a C&L upper - just recently retuned since those last numbers were posted a month ago with basically these same parts, so those numbers are going lower as soon as I can get back to the track.

Bird

ps. There - it's fixed now

ahhh now i gotcha... that makes a whole lot more sense

TXRickC

Established Member
apples vs. oranges but-
I'd be willing to bet a warm weather day a stock 2wd SS and a stock Lightning would be a good match,
but in cold air the Lightning hands down :)

brucewrs

UDLOSE
Established Member
TXSVTLIGHTNING said:
apples vs. oranges but-
I'd be willing to bet a warm weather day a stock 2wd SS and a stock Lightning would be a good match,
but in cold air the Lightning hands down :)

Miamijdm has one and was running low 14's at the track.He still had the temp plate on it..Not a bad looking ride....You cant put a lightning in the same category.. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread