lighter front brakes! help

13GT500SG

Established Member
I need to lose some weight off of the front of my car. What better then losing rotational mass?! So im not road racing the car but would like a lighter brake setup that still has good stopping power. I was thinking about changing my brakes out for 2013 gt brakes but do not know the weight. Can anybody give me weights of various front brake kits. Rotors and calipers. Any other ideas for lighter brakes?

qachargh

Established Member
I think in SID's coverage of the NAIAS there were some photos of Ford Racing two-piece slotted rotors for the GT500. No clue on release or pricing though. I looked on the Ford Racing website and through their catalog and saw nothing about them.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Yes very true. I was just thinking itd be lighter bc they are smaller.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Unless you're becoming a hardcore racer or the car is going to become a drag car.

There really is no point to saving a couple pounds.

13GT500SG

Established Member
Weight is huge. If these cars weighed 350 lbs less they would be monsters!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Weight is huge. If these cars weighed 350 lbs less they would be monsters!

You're missing my point.

You can lose weight in other areas.
Seats, sound deadening, radio, speakers, carbon fiber hood and fenders, I could go on and on.

If you are going to drive your car on the street- adding smaller brakes than what was designed for the car was just silly.

You're not going to lose 350lbs in brakes, hell you might not even lose 35lbs.

Extreme281

Banned
I understand that but 40-50 here and there adds up quickly

I have a company thats building me ceramic brake rotors for mine , i will let you know in time how much ,no one has 2 piece rotors avaliable just yet .I believe DBA or Rb performance brakes might build something for you. Rotating weight is a really good place to shed weight amongs other things ,goodluck

shelbysvt

Established Member
I understand that but 40-50 here and there adds up quickly

He doesn't get it that you are doing other things as well. Or that 1 pound of rotational mass is equal to around 3x of non rotational mass. Hence the whole unsprung vs sprung thing.

Right now there are no lighter brakes for a gt500 that stop as well or better than the stock set up on a 13. Ford racing has a drilled 2 piece 15 inch front pair that was at SEMA, but it has yet to come up in the catalogue.

Also willwood has a carbon ceramic set of rotors for around 12k that would shed the most weight and be the best rotors you could get on a mustang.

Wilwood also has a 2 piece 14 inch set that is used on the current 2013 super snake, but I cannot speak if they are better or worse than the stock set up. It is 6 piston front and 4 piston rear.

But if you want to lose more weight off the rear, lithium battery, steeda radiator bar, and new lighter wheels will do a lot as well. You could save about 100 pounds off the front end with just these 4 things, half of it coming from rotational weight.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Why not take them out completely? Talk about weight savings..

VnFwMkFxc05SQk0x_o_robot-chicken-fred-flintstones-brake-pads.jpg

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
He doesn't get it that you are doing other things as well. Or that 1 pound of rotational mass is equal to around 3x of non rotational mass. Hence the whole unsprung vs sprung thing.

I'm sorry. I missed where he said he's doing other things as well?

Smaller brakes on a street car is just plain dumb.

13GT500SG

Established Member
No smaller brakes on a roadrace car is plain dumb.... thats about it! Stopping is overated anyhow... ;-)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like 10# total the way it's worded. OP have you tried to call a manufacturer? If you talk to wildwood I'm guessing they would work with you on making a set. Would benefit them also in having a part ready for all of us for replacements down the road.
-J

13GT500SG

Established Member
Yea I thought about that. Im going to try and trade with someone down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread