lightbar brake light relay

whi tri

Established Member
So I searched with no luck but what I am looking for is a scematic or place to buy the relay for the lightbar brake light. It will make the brake light on the lightbar no work with the top up. Thanks

John M

Blue Oval
Established Member
I think they make cut off switches just for that, if you wanted you could wire in a momentary switch to make it work
hope this helps
conv  top.JPG

SlowSVT

Established Member
Get an automotive relay rated at 2x the amperage you are expecting to pull from the lightbar. It's a brake light which will get cycles 1000's of times so the larger contacts on the bigger relay will hold-up longer from all the arching it will be subjected to everytime the contacts are closed. Tap the hot wire that feeds one of the brake light to turn the relay on. Then find a "hot" wire to power the lights just make sure there is a fuse as close to the power source on this connection. Resist using cheap clamp-on wire splices. Cutting and stripping the wire then slide shrink sleeve over then solder the the joint will be the most reliable connection never jury rig the electrical system that will come back and haunt you in spades.

Tip: Some relays come with a suppression diode or capacitor shunted across the coil leads to prevent a power spike back into the harness when the power is suddenly removed collapsing the field around the coil just like what drives your spark plug. Sometimes that can cause problems with electronics. No mandatory but a nice feature to have. Potter & Brumfield (Tyco Electronics) sells OEM quality relays which you can buy from Nerwark Electronics. I think a 40 amp unit should be plenty. You can even buy ganged connectors to plug into the bottom of the relay rather then individual Fast-on's.

Good luck

whi tri

Established Member
Ok I really do appreciate the feedback and because of my kids being sick I'm finally getting back to the forums. So with the above relay what is going to kill the power to the relay when the top is up. I'm going to need a micro switch somewhere so it can cut power.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ok I really do appreciate the feedback and because of my kids being sick I'm finally getting back to the forums. So with the above relay what is going to kill the power to the relay when the top is up. I'm going to need a micro switch somewhere so it can cut power.

A micro switch is the way to go to cut the power to the relay

Newark Electronics and Digi-Key are a good sources for electrical components

The aircraft wire is the absolute best you'll find find if you don't mind white only. Aircraft Spruce sells aircraft MIL spec wire by the foot.

Users who are viewing this thread