light oil in radiator,but no coolant in oil,oil cooler at fault?

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
There has been a small amount of oil showing up in the Radiator, floating on top, But absolutly no coolant in the oi.l Could it be a leaking oil cooler?

muttley

-Neal-
Established Member
I have the same thing. I took the hex bolt out to check it out. There's a small o-ring in the middle of that bolt.Mine is slightly pinched on one side. It seemed a bit loose too, but maybe that is how it is designed to fit. at any rate, I think this is a very common problem. lots of posts about this. I tightened the bolt up since it was slightly loose. Have to drain/refill and keep an eye on it..If it doesn't work, I'll replace the o-ring. good luck with yours! more likely the oil cooler is the problem.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Well I didnt get to do much work today,but I did get the oil filter off. The good news is that there was absolutly no trace of water in the oil so hopefully I can tighten it up tommorow and be good. I have to go buy the correct allen head, flush the cooling system,then we will see. Thanks for the help on this guys .

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ok so the hex bolt was VERY loose. I decided to dial my torque wrench back to 10lbs to see just how loose before I torqued it to spec (43lb-ft). It was around 15ft-lbs.So I torqued it down, put in flushing agent and now its time to drive around then flush again tonight.I will have the finale vertict this week.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
one more bump for this.. a little snot in my degas bottle too. going to pull off the cooler tonight.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
one update...I pulled the oil cooler and replaced the o-rings and gasket. I found a rough section of the cooler mouting block to engine block gasket (the funny shaped one with the 3 holes in it). There was a corresponding rough spot on the mating surface of the block too. I sanded it smooth and replaced the gasket. From what I can tell, other than a crack in the cooler housing, this is the only place where oil can transfer to the water passages. I ran my car at 3 track days so far and I haven't lost any measurable amount of oil. I had been losing .5 - .75 quarts per weekend.

I still have some oil in the plastic reservoir but the amount doesn't seem to be increasing. It is just a little bit (teaspoon) every time I check.

Anyone know of a good cleaner to get the oil out of the cooling system? There seems to be a lot sticking on the inside walls of the plastic reservoir. Maybe a good time to upgrade to the aluminum one from Canton?

By the way, the oil shaft o-ring is only available with the shaft and costs over $50. The other o-rings and the gasket are cheap.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wel lit looks like my problem was most likely a head gasket. Got to start pulling it apart tommorow to know for sure.

'03 Sonic Blue

"So blue you can hear it"
Established Member
My oil cooler leaked a few years ago. I was afraid it was a head gasket also, but based on the position of the oil passage to the heads, felt that it was very unlikely.

I removed the oil cooler, made up a plate to cover the oil passage holes that go to the block, connected a compressed air line to one of the 1/8 inch pipe ports to pressurize the oil side of the cooler and put it in a bucket of water. Pressurized to about 100 psi. Air bubbles coming from the water inlet/outlet confirmed an oil cooler leak.

There's a thread on it somewhere here.

--Mike

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Thank you for the input. The oil cooler was indeed leaking. I fixed it and then pistons 7 and 8 dropped to 120 psi each,motor comes out next month to see what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread