Light Mod Recommendations

acroholic

Established Member
Just got a new GT500. I am not a mechanic, but have done catback exhaust installs, air intake replacements, subwoofer installs on Corvettes and Vipers I have owned. I know I'll probably want to do some mods I can do in my garage that do not involve sc pulleys or plugs or exhaust replacements right now.

From brief research on this forum, I thought maybe a replacement throttle body, air intake and a tune? Can I get some recommendations for which of each type to do, or other mods that don't involve taking the engine proper apart?

I will probably go with a Lund tune for sure, but didn't know the best air intake brand replacement, what TB to get, what air filter, etc. I see Lethal offers several power packs, but which one do I want given I don't want to get into the engine proper (at least not yet).

I'm not a drag racer, just a suburban guy that likes to go really fast once in a while, hehehe! Any and all advice is welcome. I know I really don't need to squeeze extra HP/torque out of this monster, but more is always better!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Reach out to Van @ Revan racing.
Best guy I have worked with regarding these cars. He has some great packages for the 13 Shelby and will build a combo to fit your needs and budget.

I do recommend changing the tires before adding any more power.

Good luck!

Husky44

Established Member
I have about 3k on mine with no mods. From what I read on your other thread, you haven't really got a chance to experience your car yet other than a rainy drive home, so I'll offer my suggestions based on what I plan to do with mine:

Adding power to this car doesn't make sense to me until I'm getting full use of the power I have. My first mods are going to be all about getting better traction. Still researching what combo of tire brand, size, and suspension mods is going to make that work for my driving needs (which sound much like yours). I have the luxury of time to do that research because my roads won't be Shelby-ready until April.

Slowponycar

Established Member
Reach out to Van @ Revan racing.
Best guy I have worked with regarding these cars. He has some great packages for the 13 Shelby and will build a combo to fit your needs and budget.

I do recommend changing the tires before adding any more power.

Good luck!

Agreed :beer: I have dealt with Van, Great Guy :beer:, he is helping me with my setup. I have 5600 miles on mine now. :banana: http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-2013-shelby-mods-make-you-go-mother-god.html
A good thread about modding the 13, BirdDoc's car is pretty :bowdown: Badass.:rockon:

In my opinion, I would drive the car stock (maybe change the tires) this spring/summer until you get used to it and then call Van and go from there.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Many of us installed Bob's Oil Catch Cans and are pleased with how much oil seems to be kept from entering the blower after spirited driving. There may be some disagreement on how necessary they are, but when you see the oil they are pulling out, why the hell NOT use it? I think the top of the line upgrade kit is only $199, depending on what you want. That's pretty damn cheap insurance in my book! There are several threads about it in this section, including pics.

I bought the catch cans, Redline paint matched hood props, and Roush side splitters. I see all of these mods as preventative measures, similar to what you may be thinking. The props lift and close your hood more easily and prevent chipping paint with the prop rod, and I put the side splitters on to protect my painted rockers from the sticky tires kicking up rocks and road debris. That's my round 1 at least. lol

Willie2

Established Member
Many of us installed Bob's Oil Catch Cans and are pleased with how much oil seems to be kept from entering the blower after spirited driving. There may be some disagreement on how necessary they are, but when you see the oil they are pulling out, why the hell NOT use it? I think the top of the line upgrade kit is only $199, depending on what you want. That's pretty damn cheap insurance in my book! There are several threads about it in this section, including pics.

I bought the catch cans, Redline paint matched hood props, and Roush side splitters. I see all of these mods as preventative measures, similar to what you may be thinking. The props lift and close your hood more easily and prevent chipping paint with the prop rod, and I put the side splitters on to protect my painted rockers from the sticky tires kicking up rocks and road debris. That's my round 1 at least. lol

wait, yours came in?!?!?!?!

IM3CPO

Established Member
Easy mods

I would do a resonator delete, blue air raid filter, and catch cans for sure. Maybe add the hood struts as well... But I would get some miles on the car before doing much more than that...

Shhhh

Established Member
TB,CAI and get it dyno tuned. Dont waste your time with email tunes. I had almost all the mods in my signature on my car before I hit 100 miles on the car. Might as well start early hahaha. You can always add an upper/lower pulley, idler if going with an upper, Off road X/H pipe, catback, shifter, ported blower, ect. later on if you want.

I'd recommend Mo's Speed Shop in Dallas,GA because of Jeff Harris(Former MPH:Moduler Power House employee) tuning the vehicle. There are a few reputable places throughout Atlanta and people will swear allegiance to their own shop.

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I have about 3k on mine with no mods. From what I read on your other thread, you haven't really got a chance to experience your car yet other than a rainy drive home, so I'll offer my suggestions based on what I plan to do with mine:

Adding power to this car doesn't make sense to me until I'm getting full use of the power I have. My first mods are going to be all about getting better traction. Still researching what combo of tire brand, size, and suspension mods is going to make that work for my driving needs (which sound much like yours). I have the luxury of time to do that research because my roads won't be Shelby-ready until April.

I'm in the same boat and think this ^^ is great advice. There are, however, several minor (non-performance) mods I recommend considering including Redline Struts, Jaeger Stone Guards, Resonator Delete, and an Airaid Filter.

Mxfrench

Established Member
I have installed JLT carbon fiber tube, two catch cans *black* from powder coat in florida and airad blue filter.I can hear the SC sooner

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
wait, yours came in?!?!?!?!

Lol, I wish. It's supposedly just one state away as of my last report today. I used the word "Us" in my reply because I've already purchased all those things I listed. I've been staring at them for a month. :bash:

Hungdaknees

Established Member
I did the 680rwhp from lethal performance
-JLT Big Air Cold Air Intake 127mm Carbon Fiber
-custom tune from Lund Racing
-NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
-Ford Racing Cobra Jet Monoblade Throttle Body
And all I can say is it woke this beast up the only bad thing is had to send the throttle body back twice because it was sticking don't go with the oval go with the twin 65mm

farmboy90

Established Member
I have an essentially brand new JLT Carbon Fiber intake and filter for sale. It is part of Van's 13-6 kit. PM me for a good price on it!

acroholic

Established Member
Well guys,
Thanks for all your responses. I think the "wait 'till you drive it a while" responses were the best for me right now, so I've ordered the following:
-Redline elite hood struts. They have a rear trunk kit now too, got that as well.
-Jaeger Bros front flaps.
-From Revan: Airaid blue filter (non oiled), FMS Resonator delete, and Bob's ultimate passenger side oil separator. Seems the driver side isn't necessary, really.

These ought to keep me busy for a bit.

One question: the Redline struts call for 15 ft/lb of torque for the holder that goes into the hood holes. Do I really need a torque wrench for this or should I just tighten so far, etc?

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Thinking the same thing as the first post. Add the Airaid Non-oiled Blue Filter, FRPP Res. Delete, won't need a Tune and probably won't effect the warranty. My question is what about the FRPP 65 MM TB WITHOUT a Tune??? Is it worth it, will it make any difference, [any worthwhile gain?], would it even work?? $ 700.00 investment.... As it's a Ford part, warranty might still be in play. 1st Mod, Hood Struts, either Redline, or NXT, no drill... Thanx

Last edited:

acroholic

Established Member
My question is what about the FRPP 65 MM TB WITHOUT a Tune??? Is is t worth it, will it make any difference, [any worthwhile gain?], would it even work??

I haven't seen a single power pack offered with a replacement TB that doesn't have a tune with it. I would guess that you need a tune if you are replacing the stock TB with a higher flow one.

svt 500

Established Member
Thinking the same thing as the first post. Add the Airaid Non-oiled Blue Filter, FRPP Res. Delete, won't need a Tune and probably won't effect the warranty.

I ask a tuner about doing just the filter and res delete and he thought it might lean it out and didn't want to say yes or no to doing it without checking the tune yet alot of guys on here have done it so I'm at a 50/50 on what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread