Light & blown vs heavy with roots type blower!

Crusader

Established Member
I have my 01 up for sale for the 03 but I just can't make up my mind. The 01 is light, fast, handles like a dream, and if I put a blower on it, I believe it would be incredibly fast and still light. And then there's the ultimate temptation of the 32 Valve Cast Iron 03... Heavy, but lots of low and midrange torque with the roots type blower. So the question is, would the lighter 01 with a centrifugal blower be quicker or would the heavier 03 with a roots type blower be quicker? I know that the 03 is quicker than the 01 as far as "stock" or from the factory. But my 01 is fast already, If I put exhaust mods and a blower then what?? Man If my 01 don't sell and I don't get that 03 that I have reserved at MSRP... I don't think I'll care! What?? :p :bored: :coolman:

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
a 01 cobra with a centrifugal blower will probably make about 85 to 100 more horsepower than a 03 cobra. the point is it would run circles around it. and still be lighter. but the whole idea of the 03 is that you get a blown car,that's easy to modify,all the power you need and the potential to make more that you don't need. you can supercharge your 01 but the warranty is gone. it's also a much better deal to buy the 03. to even consider the work needed to make your car match up to a 03 would be some serious dough. it's up to you in the end.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Crusader
I have my 01 up for sale for the 03 but I just can't make up my mind. The 01 is light, fast, handles like a dream, and if I put a blower on it, I believe it would be incredibly fast and still light. And then there's the ultimate temptation of the 32 Valve Cast Iron 03... Heavy, but lots of low and midrange torque with the roots type blower. So the question is, would the lighter 01 with a centrifugal blower be quicker or would the heavier 03 with a roots type blower be quicker? I know that the 03 is quicker than the 01 as far as "stock" or from the factory. But my 01 is fast already, If I put exhaust mods and a blower then what?? Man If my 01 don't sell and I don't get that 03 that I have reserved at MSRP... I don't think I'll care! What?? :p :bored: :coolman:

why not just get the roots kit and put it on the '01? no diff in config of the new engine is there? just component matls right?

lightning Jeff

Established Member
I was down at JDM last month and they had an 03 cobra there that they were getting ready for testing. They drove it to the track and with street tires it ran a 12.60 at 110 stock. This was not a great driver running it. The 03 has alot more power that a chip and a pulley will free up. plus it has the manley rods. The guy fromm MM/FF there said it may be a one year car. Looks very nice in person. :thumbsup:

Crusader

Established Member
Jason,
I've dropped the price on my 01 to 26,100. But it's not a vert, I bought the coupe for added frame stability and safety. The car has no mods except a K&N air filter.

JohnnysCobra

Established Member
Jason,
I've dropped the price on my 01 to 26,100. But it's not a vert, I bought the coupe for added frame stability and safety. The car has no mods except a K&N air filter.

I thought this price was a little high for an 01 cobra...After seeing that the post was from 02 it makes a little more sense

Users who are viewing this thread