Lifters: ever get tennis/golfers elbow or biceps strain?

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
a little over a month ago i tried to shift some weight on the squat rack (don't ask why, idk) and felt a pop in my right elbow. now it flares up with any type of pulling type motion (lat pulldown especially). it feels like a burn/sharp pain like it has to crack in the bicep, inner elbow and upper forearm areas.

gave it a few weeks off, and it seemed to go away. then yesterday i was doing the brakes on my car of all things, and apparently pulling on a breaker bar was enough to flare it up :fm:

anyone ever deal with this? it's driving me nuts.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Yep!
It's one of those injuries that requires rest and that isn't in my lifestyle
I grin and bear it when it flares up

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Just got to get it checked out. I recently had to take a lot of time off because of a tear in my shoulder. That's because I ignored the signs.

KurtDog

Established Member
I had something like that in my elbow. My dr said it was bursitis from over-usage. It would hurt like hell when I used it and there was lots of fluid in my elbow.

The only cure was lots of rest. Ice helped out a bit as well.

JMoraru

Established Member
I also suffer from elbow pain in the gym. A few weeks off made it better, but it isn't 100%. It depends on the movement. I could easily pick up 100lb dumbbells for bench press, but shaking someones hand would hurt like hell gripping for some reason. My right arm suffered from it much more than my left. The only movements that really would kill both elbows were skull crushers and cable extensions. Skull crushers especially felt like someone about to tear the tendons out of my elbows.It really made it difficult to go remotely heavy with my right arm for curls and triceps exercises. I got to the point where i just do my best to push through it.

As others have said, time is about the only thing that makes it better. I tried to take a week off, but that wasn't enough. A few months later I took almost a month off due to moving and other things and it has improved substantially.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Once. Took a few months to heal up. I rested it for a month and it didn't get better so I said screw it and went back to exercising and it healed on its own well over a month later.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
OP needs to cut back on fapping and quit blaming the gym. :haha:

Extra strength Tylenol and rest has helped a lot in the past when I would get it. Icing after the gym for a few months after it initially healed seemed to help keep it from continually flaring up again.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I just jacked up my left elbow about two weeks ago. Ive been trying to rest it by not lifting but I couldnt do it. I'm hoping it goes away in the next week or so.

snakedoctor

Established Member
I had that problem and a guy at the gym gave me a recommendation. He said get a can of del monte asparagus, they're thinner than a regular can of vegetables and a little bit taller so you can grip it better. He said grip the can and do overhanded forearm exercises and that will help if you're having a flare up. To keep from getting flair ups he said to do the same type exercise but with a 5 lb sledgehammer(different motion-gripping the handle, thumb up)

paluka21

Established Member
a little over a month ago i tried to shift some weight on the squat rack (don't ask why, idk) and felt a pop in my right elbow. now it flares up with any type of pulling type motion (lat pulldown especially). it feels like a burn/sharp pain like it has to crack in the bicep, inner elbow and upper forearm areas.

gave it a few weeks off, and it seemed to go away. then yesterday i was doing the brakes on my car of all things, and apparently pulling on a breaker bar was enough to flare it up :fm:

anyone ever deal with this? it's driving me nuts.

Had the exact same symptom and issue last year when I was doing dumbbell press. Was curling the weight to get it above my chest when I felt a pop in my left arm, causing pain above and below the crease in my arm where my lower bicep and forearm come together at the inner arm. I stretched, ignored the pain, and it subsequently got worse. Being stubborn, I never went to the doctors, but ended up taking 10-12 months off weights because it would hurt each time I tried to do curls, pull downs, or any kind of motion where I used my bicep/upper forearm muscles for weight support.
I just started hitting weights again, although still not 100%, it took all this time for it to properly heal. Perhaps yours isn't this bad.

Last edited:

03cobraracer

Established Member
I have this also if I do pull-ups or anything else straining the elbow I get pain in my elbow. Idk how it happened but I'm not lifting as much right now trying to give it a break. Just sucks being in the army and doing pt I can never really give it a rest

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
I would probably rest it for a week and then go lighter with the weights for one more. Keep some ice on it and some Tylenol after your sessions. See how you feel after that. Based on the description you gave it doesn't sound like what I would consider tennis elbow which can be trained through.

If you think there is any possibility that you injured your bicep you need to stop all pulling motions before you tear it and you're going into surgery and out for a year.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
Probably got tennis elbow trolling all the GT500 owners in Hellcat threads. Next time use the left hand for the mouse. lol, GJ. :burn:
:lol:
OP needs to cut back on fapping and quit blaming the gym. :haha:

Extra strength Tylenol and rest has helped a lot in the past when I would get it. Icing after the gym for a few months after it initially healed seemed to help keep it from continually flaring up again.
:lol: well being that the right arm hurts but i'm a natural lefty....
Tore my biceps tendon last year. Not fun. Not fun at all. Give it some rest OP.
ouch. yea that worries me.
I had that problem and a guy at the gym gave me a recommendation. He said get a can of del monte asparagus, they're thinner than a regular can of vegetables and a little bit taller so you can grip it better. He said grip the can and do overhanded forearm exercises and that will help if you're having a flare up. To keep from getting flair ups he said to do the same type exercise but with a 5 lb sledgehammer(different motion-gripping the handle, thumb up)
interesting.
Had the exact same symptom and issue last year when I was doing dumbbell press. Was curling the weight to get it above my chest when I felt a pop in my left arm, causing pain above and below the crease in my arm where my lower bicep and forearm come together at the inner arm. I stretched, ignored the pain, and it subsequently got worse. Being stubborn, I never went to the doctors, but ended up taking 10-12 months off weights because it would hurt each time I tried to do curls, pull downs, or any kind of motion where I used my bicep/upper forearm muscles for weight support.
I just started hitting weights again, although still not 100%, it took all this time for it to properly heal. Perhaps yours isn't this bad.
yup, i do incline dumbell and when i curl it up to get the weight over my chest i feel it.
I have this also if I do pull-ups or anything else straining the elbow I get pain in my elbow. Idk how it happened but I'm not lifting as much right now trying to give it a break. Just sucks being in the army and doing pt I can never really give it a rest
pullups kill. i've been avoiding those at all costs. those and wide grip pulldowns. close grip doesn't seem to bother it as much however.
I would probably rest it for a week and then go lighter with the weights for one more. Keep some ice on it and some Tylenol after your sessions. See how you feel after that. Based on the description you gave it doesn't sound like what I would consider tennis elbow which can be trained through.

If you think there is any possibility that you injured your bicep you need to stop all pulling motions before you tear it and you're going into surgery and out for a year.
yea i've been in denial a bit lol. i know the only way to really help is a prolonged rest period. i just can't get myself to do it lol.

odom4V

Established Member
If it doesn't get better with rest get it checked out. Friend of mine got bursitis from lifting and tried to keep going and avoid the dr. Ended up needing surgery to correct it.

Mach828

Established Member
Yes. The main reason for me was due to poor form, not only in lifting but even daily tasks you use your joints for.

First, let it heal so it doesn't get worse. In the past I've just used the opposite hand for everything I can for a few days to a week, and it seems to heal quick. I then avoid the exercises that caused any slight joint pain for a while.

As a lifter, and doing mechanic work, plus daily activities you are putting much more strain on your joints than the average person. I haven't gotten it again in years after I became more conscious about really using my muscles to do the work, and not being lazy and letting my joints take some of the weight. This is especially true when you let your form slack when you are trying to lift a heavier weight, or do an extra rep when your muscles are fatigued.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have had chronic shoulder/bicep issues with my right arm for several years, comes and goes. I don't think anything is torn, so I have not gone to a doctor, deep tissue massage in those areas and shoulder blades seems to help the most. I have also lowered the weight with chest and shoulder exercises. With regard to pull-ups, found switching to a closer neutral grip pull-up on my pull-up/dip station barely causes any discomfort. Definitely less strain on the arm muscles, your back does more work.

Users who are viewing this thread