Lifter tick

whiplash920

Established Member
I seem to have an occasional ticking if I listen down by my front drivers side tire. Thought might be a lifter.

If it is, how serious an issue is this. I think I have heard this on and off for a couple years now. Car has vmp 800 hp kit.

Is there a product that I can add to my oil that may safely eliminate this if it is a lifter?

Thanks for the help in advance.

paluka21

Established Member
The tick is probably considered normal. Some people have eliminated the "tick" by swapping oil brands and weights. What are you using currently?
I switched from Motorcraft 5w50 to Amsoil 5w50 because of the same tick/tapping in my 14, but am going to try Amsoil 10W40 next because of many of the recommendations on oil weight/viscosity vs the type of driving you do with the car. Others have also eliminated the tap/ticking with a 10w oil over the 5W.

whiplash920

Established Member
Was using amsoil 0w40, just changed oil last weekend to amsoil 5w50...amsoil oil filter.

Ticking is non existant at startup then barely noticeable after running awhile. Might even be injectors...just not sure.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The Amsoil Oil filter is known to contribute to the tick noise. Its a decenr filter and doesnt starve the engine of oil but somehow during low engine speed it can cause the rick noise.

Try swapping to the Ford Racing filter and see if that helps. Im using the amsoil filter as well and will be making the switch soon.

mikes35

Established Member
I've got a tick in mine on the passenger side down near the wheel well. I had it running on the lift the other day and discovered it is a leaking cat. Are you sure it's not a leaking exhaust or a ticking injector?

Users who are viewing this thread