Lifter issue.. Help guys!!!

530stangs_22

First On Race Day
Established Member
hey guys im looking into getting a 97 cobra for a really good deal but the owner says there is a lifter issue. i havent seen it yet. gonna go look tomorrow. he said it drives fine still. if i do decide to get it how much am i looking at to get this issue fixed? thanks guys a quick response would be awesome and greatly appreciated! :beer:

Last edited:

White96svt

Established Member
It really depends on if you do the work or not. If you do the work yourself, it won't be too expensive as lifters aren't that expensive. If a shop does it, you looking at adding labor to that. Depending on their hourly rate, it could be a few hundred dollars plus the parts. One thing you will want to look into is a possible guide issue. These motors are somewhat known for having guides wear and they would cause an audible tick similar to a lifter. If that's your problem, then that's a whole different can of worms. The head would have to come off and bent sent to a machine shop to replace the guides. Hope this helps. Good luck.

CzchMex

Established Member
It really depends on if you do the work or not. If you do the work yourself, it won't be too expensive as lifters aren't that expensive. If a shop does it, you looking at adding labor to that. Depending on their hourly rate, it could be a few hundred dollars plus the parts. One thing you will want to look into is a possible guide issue. These motors are somewhat known for having guides wear and they would cause an audible tick similar to a lifter. If that's your problem, then that's a whole different can of worms. The head would have to come off and bent sent to a machine shop to replace the guides. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Guides on a head?... I only know of the chain guides in the front. How would the guides on a head need to be machined to fix the tick?

Oh and I have a tick. Yep it runs fine but it is annoying as :cuss: I plan on doing the work myself and the parts aren't that much. Lash adjusters, or you lifters, will run about $300 for all 32. The timing components will range from $100-500 depending on what all you need to change (usually not much). It is just a day or two of work if you do it yourself I hear.

CJK440

Established Member
OP, how many miles? Like was said, a tick on these motors could be more than lifters. Lifters (lash adjusters) are cake to R&R compared to any other issues.

Czch, he means all 32 valve guides. Fixed either by new guides or O/S valves (if they are offered). Either way for a B head, probably cheaper to upgrade or find another pair.

svtcobralover

Established Member
Depending on the price of the car is what would make or break me. I sold my 96 cobra fully built with 03 cobra seats for $2800 because it had a bad tick. The price on all the timing components was $500. I pulled the motor and took it to my firends shop but didn't want the risk of fixing the problem and then it could be a bearing issue. So I sold it. My best recommendation to you is if you buy this and the tick is more than what the seller thinks it is, be prepared to throw $3k easy if you want to fix it further.

530stangs_22

First On Race Day
Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys. The car has 150k on it. He posted the ad for 3200 but I talked him down to 2700. I will be taking it to a shop probably.(if I get it) Don't have much experience digging into mod motors and don't want to cause anymore damage than there already is. So if I do get it I'm looking at like a grand in parts and labor?

White96svt

Established Member
Guides on a head?... I only know of the chain guides in the front. How would the guides on a head need to be machined to fix the tick?

Oh and I have a tick. Yep it runs fine but it is annoying as :cuss: I plan on doing the work myself and the parts aren't that much. Lash adjusters, or you lifters, will run about $300 for all 32. The timing components will range from $100-500 depending on what all you need to change (usually not much). It is just a day or two of work if you do it yourself I hear.

Like CJK440 said, I'm referring to the Valve guides. They are known to be an issue. If it is an issue with a guide, the heads will have to be pulled off and the guides will need to be replaced. That can get expensive. If it's in good condition, 3K isn't a bad deal. Pull the motor, build it, boost it, and have fun!! :rockon:

CJK440

Established Member
$2700 and it runs? Grab it.

I just bought a 150k mile one with a seized motor for $2400.

CzchMex

Established Member
Sucks that I spent a lot more than that for my 61k cobra that developed a tick after I bought it. I hope it's not guides then

Users who are viewing this thread