Life span r888

VNMUS03

Established Member
Here's a pic of the actual hole. If it's repairable I'll find someone to do it.
a4421330cb088983230ff290e149afde.jpg

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
As stated above, perhaps consider not using an R888 for a daily driver.
I wont go into detail since you didn't ask, but I had two accidents on competition tires in my old Mach 1.

svtshadow

Banned
As stated above, perhaps consider not using an R888 for a daily driver.
I wont go into detail since you didn't ask, but I had two accidents on competition tires in my old Mach 1.

Most of this accidents are drivers fault as far as skills is concerned. I drove my cobra last winter in the snow with almost bald sumitomo tires and did not have an incident or event.

R888 you can drive them in the rain, dry etc. Comes down to the drive

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
r888 is a total different animal than a DR, comparing the two is just dumb

I agree they're very different. My two sets before my R888s were Proxes TQ drag radials (arguably one of the better mannered DRs) and the R888s are WAY better. Besides the very rapid drop off in traction in the cold there is more grip than anything I've tried all around, even in the rain.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
I have not personally ran them yet, waiting on my NT05R to wear down and then I am switching. But I had a close friend that ran them on his 700whp Cobra and he says they lasted him about 10k miles. He lives in Hawaii and says they perform pretty well in the rain, but do get kinda sketchy in heavy downpour, but they are slicks so that is to be expected.

Not sure about the other guys saying you should rethink using a competition tire for daily driving, other than the quick tire wear and the lack of traction in the cold /rain / before they come up to temp, I can't really see any other disadvantages. You shouldn't have any issues in Oxnard. If you are a level headed driver, and know that a cold slick has severely limited grip and could cause you to spin, then I don't see why you would have a problem with them.

I would like to see the Mach 1 guy elaborate on why a competition tire caused him to have 2 accidents though...

Last edited:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I would like to see the Mach 1 guy elaborate on why a competition tire caused him to have 2 accidents though...

Sure.

The first time I was driving in the late fall in New England while roads were still clear. It was early morning and it was cold enough that everything was frosted. I got a few minutes into my drive and traffic started to slow down in a 50mph zone. I hit my brakes and started to slow for upcoming traffic, but before I got there it started to move again and suddenly came to a stop (I think there was nearly an accident up front due to a school bus). I tried to hit my brakes harder for the unpredicted stop and with my tires well out of operating temperatures my stopping distance was drastically reduced. I felt like I had butter for wheels and lightly slid into the back of an SUV.
Circumstances being what they were, I didn't predict traffic stopping the way it did and I simply wasn't able to keep up using that compound of tires in that kind of cold.

The second time I was only doing around 40-50 miles per hour in a 50mph zone. It was raining pretty hard and I had reduced my speed to account for the rain. Going around a long corner, the rear end hydroplaned. I tried to regain control but the rear came around and put me into a sideways slide which sent me onto the shoulder where I went head first into a stone wall and rolled the car. And that was the end of that car. I might have hydroplaned on another tire, but the larger contact patch and smaller tread depth certainly didn't do me any favors. The police officer that arrived at the scene swore I must have been speeding to flip the car, luckily the BMW that was directly on the side of me when I started to hydroplane stopped and vouched for the fact that I was driving fine.

Woody6799

Established Member
I have not personally ran them yet, waiting on my NT05R to wear down and then I am switching. But I had a close friend that ran them on his 700whp Cobra and he says they lasted him about 10k miles. He lives in Hawaii and says they perform pretty well in the rain, but do get kinda sketchy in heavy downpour, but they are slicks so that is to be expected.

Not sure about the other guys saying you should rethink using a competition tire for daily driving, other than the quick tire wear and the lack of traction in the cold /rain / before they come up to temp, I can't really see any other disadvantages. You shouldn't have any issues in Oxnard. If you are a level headed driver, and know that going WOT on a cold slick could cause you to spin, then I don't see why you would have a problem with them.

That's the exact reason I wouldn't run them on a daily... temp variations and heavy rain/snow driving conditions with hydroplaning risks etc. For a DD I would go with a good all season tire or sport oriented tire. There is just too much risk. Plus getting 10k out of a DD tire is nothing and insanely expensive.

31BCobra

#60 04' Cobra - Torch Red
Established Member
Sure.

The first time I was driving in the late fall in New England while roads were still clear. It was early morning and it was cold enough that everything was frosted. I got a few minutes into my drive and traffic started to slow down in a 50mph zone. I hit my brakes and started to slow for upcoming traffic, but before I got there it started to move again and suddenly came to a stop (I think there was nearly an accident up front due to a school bus). I tried to hit my brakes harder for the unpredicted stop and with my tires well out of operating temperatures my stopping distance was drastically reduced. I felt like I had butter for wheels and lightly slid into the back of an SUV.
Circumstances being what they were, I didn't predict traffic stopping the way it did and I simply wasn't able to keep up using that compound of tires in that kind of cold.

The second time I was only doing around 40-50 miles per hour in a 50mph zone. It was raining pretty hard and I had reduced my speed to account for the rain. Going around a long corner, the rear end hydroplaned. I tried to regain control but the rear came around and put me into a sideways slide which sent me onto the shoulder where I went head first into a stone wall and rolled the car. And that was the end of that car. I might have hydroplaned on another tire, but the larger contact patch and smaller tread depth certainly didn't do me any favors. The police officer that arrived at the scene swore I must have been speeding to flip the car, luckily the BMW that was directly on the side of me when I started to hydroplane stopped and vouched for the fact that I was driving fine.

Right, so using a competition tire improperly outside of it's operating range caused you to have two accidents. Someone's oversight on surface temperatures does not mean that the tire was at fault. That's like blaming guns for killing people.

That's the exact reason I wouldn't run them on a daily... temp variations and heavy rain/snow driving conditions with hydroplaning risks etc. For a DD I would go with a good all season tire or sport oriented tire. There is just too much risk. Plus getting 10k out of a DD tire is nothing and insanely expensive.

Which is exactly why I said as long as the person is not being a complete bonehead. IF they are smart, and don't do stupid things, then stupid things won't happen. At least ones that are not your fault. OP lives in Oxnard Ca, at least based off his location info. So it is reasonable to believe that temperature variations including rain and snow are not going to happen very often. Having a competition tire in that kind of climate is a completely reasonable thing to do.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Right, so using a competition tire improperly outside of it's operating range caused you to have two accidents. Someone's oversight on surface temperatures does not mean that the tire was at fault. That's like blaming guns for killing people.

Which is exactly why I said as long as the person is not being a complete bonehead. IF they are smart, and don't do stupid things, then stupid things won't happen. At least ones that are not your fault. OP lives in Oxnard Ca, at least based off his location info. So it is reasonable to believe that temperature variations including rain and snow are not going to happen very often. Having a competition tire in that kind of climate is a completely reasonable thing to do.

No, that isn't the same as blaming guns for killing people. That is the same as carrying explosives around and being blown up on accident. There is a risk associated with it. I am suggesting he not take the risk.
Stupid things? Like fitting a competition tire on a vehicle that will be driven daily for a source of transportation? And when he is short on time and it is pouring out? Or a freak cold snap causes Oxnard California to get a little chilly?

I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm not saying he is going to get in an accident. I'm not saying he can't mitigate the risk by taking caution.. I am saying that he is taking a risk by putting the tire on a daily driver. I don't see the need personally. I would put them on my weekend car still. And even then, there is a risk of being caught in freak rain. I could slow down, I could not drive. But when I need to wake up and drive to work, I wouldn't want to know that I have to always account for my tires.

Users who are viewing this thread