License Plate Return

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Some work buddies and I were discussing this.

I have a car that has recently expired registration and plates from MA. I moved to CT at least a 1.5 years ago. My daily driver is a CT registered car. This MA car will hopefully be sold soon, but it's not driven.

My question is, do I have to return my MA plates to the registry of Motor Vehicles in MA. Or can I just forget I even have them, and just pull em off the car before its sold?

I'm told in CT, there is a number of different fees and fines including a 200 dollar fine for not returning expired plates. What about MA?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Some work buddies and I were discussing this.

I have a car that has recently expired registration and plates from MA. I moved to CT at least a 1.5 years ago. My daily driver is a CT registered car. This MA car will hopefully be sold soon, but it's not driven.

My question is, do I have to return my MA plates to the registry of Motor Vehicles in MA. Or can I just forget I even have them, and just pull em off the car before its sold?

I'm told in CT, there is a number of different fees and fines including a 200 dollar fine for not returning expired plates. What about MA?

You must return the plates to Mass., as the plates are the property of the state.

Lawman

Established Member
I had a situation once where I traded in a car, and the dealership did not turn in the plates.
Three years later, when I attempted to renew my drivers license, the clerk advised me that my license was suspended because of an insurance lapse on my previous car, and it was going to cost me $750.00 to get my license renewed.
I had to contact the dealership, they faxed all of the paperwork, and the record was cleared.
Moral: when you trade in your car, or privately sell it, remove the plate, and turn it in, as it is the property of the state.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Huh...when I got new plates in TX they just mailed them to me, they didn't ask for the old ones back... :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread