License Plate Question

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I'm just wondering if any of you guys can help me out with a question. I have a 03 Toyota 4runner. I'm looking to get one of the hitch mounted cargo carriers for it. I've looked at several that fold up when not in use, and really like this idea. If I get one, it will stay in for months at a time. My concern is that with it in the up position, the license plate will be difficult to see. I'm afraid I may be hassled by the local police because of it. Do you think I'll have any issues with this? Thanks!

This picture shows what I'm talking about.
folding-cargo-carrier-2.jpg

mustangray

Established Member
I'm just wondering if any of you guys can help me out with a question. I have a 03 Toyota 4runner. I'm looking to get one of the hitch mounted cargo carriers for it. I've looked at several that fold up when not in use, and really like this idea. If I get one, it will stay in for months at a time. My concern is that with it in the up position, the license plate will be difficult to see. I'm afraid I may be hassled by the local police because of it. Do you think I'll have any issues with this? Thanks!

This picture shows what I'm talking about.
folding-cargo-carrier-2.jpg

I don't know about your state but in California it's illegal to block your lic.plate in anyway.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Yep, that's what I'm afraid up. On my 4runner, the plate is higher up than the one in the pic, but still will be at least partially blocked by the carrier.
IMG_0453.jpg

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
id say if its like the pic with an open screen, youd be ok. if you get stopped say you can see the plate,and didnt know it would cause any trouble. offer to fold down the carrier and remove either now or when you get home.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
OK, stupid question, but what do they do about people pulling trailers? (I pull a trailer about every day.)

All an officer needs to do is pull up beside you. There is a suufficient amount of gap between the towing vehicle to clearly see the plate. There cannot be an obstruction around the plate, the numerics must be clearly seen.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
The hitch carriers always present a problem for both the officer and the owner of the vehicle. A license plate must be clearly seen, with no obstruction. I have seen some folks attach it to the carrier, but at night remember it must be illuminated by a white light. Have I stopped for it, you bet. Never issued a citation for it though.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

I have seen a kit for these that relocate the plate to the carrier. They are on a hinge so when the carrier is up the plate is horizontal and parallel with the ground and when the carrier is down the plate is still horizontal and parallel with the ground. They also relocate the white light. I saw this the other day on one used to carry an electric scooter.

Regardless of the state, that is probable cause for a traffic stop.

OK, stupid question, but what do they do about people pulling trailers? (I pull a trailer about every day.)

In most states trailers must be registered and have a license plate.

id say if its like the pic with an open screen, youd be ok. if you get stopped say you can see the plate,and didnt know it would cause any trouble. offer to fold down the carrier and remove either now or when you get home.

Offering to remedy the situation after the stop might work in some situations but it doesnt avoid the problem. The screen being in front of the plate is a problem. For instance, in Florida, even a clear cover is unlawful.

All an officer needs to do is pull up beside you. There is a suufficient amount of gap between the towing vehicle to clearly see the plate. There cannot be an obstruction around the plate, the numerics must be clearly seen.

While that is likely true in some states, in others like Florida, the plate must be clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle regardless of whether the officer can discern the plate from another angle.

The hitch carriers always present a problem for both the officer and the owner of the vehicle. A license plate must be clearly seen, with no obstruction. I have seen some folks attach it to the carrier, but at night remember it must be illuminated by a white light. Have I stopped for it, you bet. Never issued a citation for it though.

Agreed.

olefafl

Established Member
In most states trailers must be registered and have a license plate.

While that is likely true in some states, in others like Florida, the plate must be clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle regardless of whether the officer can discern the plate from another angle.

I know I need a plate, but the trailer will block the tag.

So what do people who pull trailers do in FL?

olefafl

Established Member
The trailer has it's own tag.

The truck also has a tag that the trailer is blocking. In FL you can't block tags.

So you can't pull a trailer in FL? Or do they not care about a trailer blocking tags, but do care about a cargo rack blocking tags?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Except the trailer's tag is not in any way related to the truck's tag. The truck's tag is still obscured.

The trailer tag still allows for identification and investigation. There is likely an exception for the truck tag if they are pulling a validly registered trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread