License plate lamps

66GT350

Established Member
OK...I admit it, I must be a moron. I have to replace the pass side bulb and I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to remove it. The little phillips head screws on the bulb assembly just seem to turn, but don't loosen. What am I missing here? I ran up to A-Zone to get a manual but they were out and I did a search on here and couldn't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

stevieb

Established Member
If its like the 03, open the trunk and grab the harness plug in back of the light and turn 90 deg. it should come out. Then just pull the bulb out of the socket.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
You're doing one of the first things I had to do when I got my Cobra. Those cheap little plastic screws are stripped! I bought two new light assemblies from Ford. They came with new screws (one of my old ones was melted!?!).

I put a very thin bladed screwdriver underneath the head of the screw and pried up, while SLOWLY turning the screw - eventually, it'll come out.

Had the same damn problem with that cover that goes across the radiator, from headlight to headlight.

Some folks like to tighten things up too tight ...

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
On the '95, you have to remove the light assembly to replace the bulb - there's not a large enough access hole inside the trunk lid.

Dan

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
If you get new light assemblies, you may have to get the screws and plastic nut plates separately - can't remember ... can't find the receipt.

Dan

blk96SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Dano
You're doing one of the first things I had to do when I got my Cobra. Those cheap little plastic screws are stripped! I bought two new light assemblies from Ford. They came with new screws (one of my old ones was melted!?!).

I put a very thin bladed screwdriver underneath the head of the screw and pried up, while SLOWLY turning the screw - eventually, it'll come out.

Had the same damn problem with that cover that goes across the radiator, from headlight to headlight.

Some folks like to tighten things up too tight ...

Yep, I did it exactly like this! Replaced the covers and all. Cleaned it up very nicely. If I remember correctly the covers werent as cheap as I thought they would have been. Dealerships suck ass!

raven69david

Blown & Cammed
Established Member
Dano said:
I put a very thin bladed screwdriver underneath the head of the screw and pried up...

That worked for me. They really don't screw in, it appears as if they were made to be pried out. Anyway, i did it slowly and nothing got fouled up. I put my hand through the back of the trunk lid and pushed the assembly out. Replaced the buld and voila...i got both rear license plate bulbs burning.

The Ford part # is C7SZ13466B. 1 tiny little bulb cost $1.17 with tax! :bash: :bash: :bash:

SvtKobra96

Vettemeister
Established Member
yea i had them go out on my car too..the screws were stripped. both of them! and i just left it that way. cops never bothered me about it since when they pullup behind you with their lights.. they cant tell if they work or not.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Ha-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... your cops aren't very smart (or maybe they are blind)! License plate lights stand out like a sore thumb, and if the police where you live aren't doing anything about them not working, it's not because they aren't visible. jmo

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread