LFP reservoir not fitting... or am I just crazy?

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
I put my LFP reservoir on my car tonight and the radiator bolt mounting plate is a good inch away from the hole the bolt should thread into. Should I be using a larger (non-stock) bolt?

Thanks.

vobraman

Established Member
I used the same stock bolt...had no problem. I started all 3 bolts at the same time. If I remember it was off and then as you tightned them down, they came up correctly. Good luck..if you need pic's to compare send me a pm.
later

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
dougwg said:
Drill a new hole :shrug: or send it back for a replacement

The problem isn't how the hole lines up. It's that the hole on the LFP is too far from the receiving hole/tab on the radiator bracket. It seems as though the tab on the lfp unit should be flush against the side but it is in about an inch (the distance it is missing the hole)

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
Thomas Morgan said:
pics son pics

they make the world go round

Don't have the car in front of me right now so I mocked up a diagram.

The blue line is the tab on the LFP unit and the red line is the radiator support that the bolt is supposed to thread into.

lfp.gif

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
Called LFP and was told to buy a longer bolt. Guess I'll do that. Just found it odd that I hadn't seen anyone else w/ this problem.

U1arunit

10 Second Club
Established Member
If the gap is that large, besides a longer bolt, you are going to need to use a spacer (pipe or some kind of tubing)to take up the gap or you will bend the tab on the tank trying to tighten it up.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
Had the same issue but started that bolt first then tightened them all down slowly and it fit like a glove.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
I did the test fit for the tank. There should have been a 1/4 inch spacer included with the tank, so that you can use the stock bolt with the spacer. This change was made to allow the folks that wanted to run a wider LFP race radiator. If you install the thicker race radiator, you don't need the spacer. Another tip when installing the tank is to loosen the top radiator support brackets. This allows you to move the radiator around for easier adjustment.

SVTboy

Established Member
I have the same problem with mine, the tab is about an inch away and it didn't come with any spacer... Another problem with mine is that it leaks around the outer edge of the cap (fuel cell style). Anybody have this problem as well? I have it filled only half way but it still leaks, it looks like sh** when you open the hood and see traces of antifreeze down the front of it, any suggestions... :shrug: Not trying to jack your thread just throwing it out there, thanks

Fdawg97lx

Established Member
Richo said:
I did the test fit for the tank. There should have been a 1/4 inch spacer included with the tank, so that you can use the stock bolt with the spacer. This change was made to allow the folks that wanted to run a wider LFP race radiator. If you install the thicker race radiator, you don't need the spacer. Another tip when installing the tank is to loosen the top radiator support brackets. This allows you to move the radiator around for easier adjustment.

if this was the case they should have made the top 2 mounting holes longer so u can slide it back and forth. that way it would fit with the stock radiator and the race radiator.

goodquest

Established Member
I purchased a LFP reservoir after reading that there were no problems. IMHO it should be a complete kit, not you go find the parts and it should work.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
gmynko said:
Send it back and get a P-Fab - a really good IC resevoir.

and wait an eternity for that pfab unit to ship...the LFP unit is just as good, and the solution/workaround provided is a reasonable one...

Users who are viewing this thread