LFP Extreme Rebuild Kit...

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
Hey everyone, seeing as though my tranny took a dump I'm going to rebuild it. I was looking into getting the LFP Stage 2 kit. Has anyone had experience with it? Any other rebuild kits I should be looking into? Thanks! :beer:

SADF

Established Member
Hey everyone, seeing as though my tranny took a dump I'm going to rebuild it. I was looking into getting the LFP Stage 2 kit. Has anyone had experience with it? Any other rebuild kits I should be looking into? Thanks! :beer:

What does it do, make it stronger?

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
Is there nobody that has input?

Yes SADF, it's a rebuild kit that makes the transmission stronger. Somewhat of an alternative to a built transmission.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
i had the kit before i just went with a built unit. it looked like it was a pretty compelet kit. i think LL had it on ONE of his trucks he had at one time. think it was his black one

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
i had the kit before i just went with a built unit. it looked like it was a pretty compelet kit. i think LL had it on ONE of his trucks he had at one time. think it was his black one

Thanks for the reply SRT... Why did you go built? Did you tranny let go after the rebuild? What kind of power were you making? Thanks again! :banana:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the reply SRT... Why did you go built? Did you tranny let go after the rebuild? What kind of power were you making? Thanks again! :banana:

i never installed the LFP kit. i had it still in the box and i went with the JLP unit since it was just easier in the long run for me. and i think it turned out cheaper this way too

steeltoe

Established Member
Have you considered the Johnny Lightning Trans, its pretty cheap I think.

Its 2 grand I think. The only reason why I think more about the rebulid kits is my transmission case and the internals are still good. I'm goin to just rebuild now while I the motor out so I have less down time.

LTNBOLT

Blown Member
Established Member
I put the original LFP kit in mine before there were stages. It was around $450 back then if I recall. I paid a local trans shop $1000 cash to put in a 2400 stall torque converter that I had and rebuild the tranny with the LFP kit.

My transmission was fine at 65,000 miles but it didn't seem right pulling it and not rebuilding it. I didn't know how good of shape it was in until the rebuild. The tranny guy said the kit was complete and he didn't really remember going to his parts bin for anything. He also said my tranny didn't really need rebuilding which I could tell from my old parts. There were very few minor burn spots on any of the steels and the clutches all looked good.

The kit has been in for 30,000 miles now and is still going strong. It had 470-480HP for 10,000 miles and around 540HP with a built engine for 20,000 miles. I thought it was going south for quite a few thousand miles but I replaced the old FTVB with a CircleD VB about 5,000 miles ago and it is better than when it was first built. It barks my drag radials at 1/3 throttle on the 1-2 shift. The FTVB had about 45,000 miles on it and for the last 10,000 miles it was in the tranny the 1-2 shift was flakey. I guess it wore out or had a sticky valve.

The original LFP kit gets a :thumbsup: from me.

P.S. The Art Carr 2400 was a POS that originally went in with the build (out of balance to name a few of it's problems). I had a PI put in when the built engine was installed.

Last edited:

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
Have you considered the Johnny Lightning Trans, its pretty cheap I think.

I have looked into it but unfortunately I'm trying to get the best within my budget... I cant afford the $2200 + shipping right now for a tranny. Luckily my father in law rebuilds transmissions and has been doing so for the past 30 years, hence the rebuild kit.

In any case I decided to drop my hard earned coin on the Circle D rebuild kit... Nothing against LFP but I heard a few bad things about their customer service and the last thing I need is a delay in getting my parts or getting an incomplete or defective kit. Circle D is top notch and I haven't heard of a single bad thing about them. The peace of mind is worth the extra $100 or so that I paid for the Circle D kit.

Thanks again for all your help guys! :beer:

LTNBOLT

Blown Member
Established Member
The peace of mind is worth the extra $100 or so that I paid for the Circle D kit.

If it's only that much difference in price between the newer LFP kits and the Circle D then I think you made the right choice.

The Circle D VB I bought used is kicka$$ compared to the FTVB even when I installed the FTVB new. I've heard nothing but good things about Circle D.

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
I am in the same boat as you with the trans poblems. If you dont mind me asking, how much did the Circle D kit run you?

The kit normally runs $1100 but since I didn't need the valve body parts and I'm a member of NLOC I was able to get it for $925+Shipping and Tax since I'm in Texas. Came out to $1025 & Change.

Come to think of it though the valve body parts were only and extra $75. I think I'll be ordering it tomorrow anyways since they don't ship it until after 1pm. lol.

BoosT_AddicT

BOOOSTIFIED!
Established Member
If it's only that much difference in price between the newer LFP kits and the Circle D then I think you made the right choice.

The Circle D VB I bought used is kicka$$ compared to the FTVB even when I installed the FTVB new. I've heard nothing but good things about Circle D.

Actually it ended up being $1025 versus $850 shipped for the LFP Stage 2 kit. But I paid tax so it would have been $950 shipped for the Cicle D kit. It's exactly $100 difference.

I'll let you all know how the kit works out... I'll take many pics too. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread