Lexus ls400, thoughts?

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Update: 2000 ls 400. 99.6k miles. 2 owner. Asking $9065. Timing belt was done at 57k miles. How are the transmissions in these? Thoughts on price?View attachment 1737276View attachment 1737277View attachment 1737278View attachment 1737279View attachment 1737280View attachment 1737281

Sent from my motorola one 5G using the svtperformance.com mobile app
A 98 ls400 with 70k just sold yesterday for 18k on bat. I’d say the price is good! If you don’t want it let me know, hahaha. As long as maintenance has been done on the trans it should last quite a long time.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Update: 2000 ls 400. 99.6k miles. 2 owner. Asking $9065. Timing belt was done at 57k miles. How are the transmissions in these? Thoughts on price?View attachment 1737276View attachment 1737277View attachment 1737278View attachment 1737279View attachment 1737280View attachment 1737281

Good price for sure and looks like a nice car, the engine and trans are both reliable. You can make an account on drivers.lexus.com, insert the VIN and they'll give you all the dealer service history for free, as well as all the options. I did this with my 95 SC400.

jmsa540

Established Member
Correct, and I've done this

Thank you.
Good price for sure and looks like a nice car, the engine and trans are both reliable. You can make an account on drivers.lexus.com, insert the VIN and they'll give you all the dealer service history for free, as well as all the options. I did this with my 95 SC400.

jmsa540

Established Member
Picked her up.

2000 ls400. 2 owners. All maintenance records. 100k miles. All stock.
827274686.jpeg
1691805524.jpeg
1292575458.jpeg

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Picked her up.

2000 ls400. 2 owners. All maintenance records. 100k miles. All stock.View attachment 1738884View attachment 1738885View attachment 1738886

Solid car. The engine in the 98-00 are the first gen version of the engine found in the LS430. Big step up from the original 1UZ. Never had any real issues with this gen.

Front lower ball joints, cooling system parts (radiator and heater shut off valve come to mind) and the drive shaft damper couplers are a few of the things that may need attention. Also, the shift shaft seals will leak, causing a condition where the inspection looks like the trans pan RTV failing is the cause of the leak. Its BOTH shifter shaft seals. The one on the drivers side is covered by the PRNDL switch. Replace both, clean off and reinspect to see if pan gasket also is leaking

Failed radiator cap is a big issue that can go undetected but cause a lot of cooling issues. Id replace it with Lexus OEM only.

Throttle body is a hybrid drive by wire/cable drive unit. There was a warranty enhancement on those while I was a technician. Not sure if the coverage is still there but a check with your local Lexus dealer could be beneficial. Also, be VERY careful when purging coolant from the plug on top of the T body. Too much torque when reinstalling can literally break the aluminum around it... ask me how I know. I actually kept a few spare housings from ones I replaced to cover my ass if I did break the housing again lol. Very similar to LX470 throttle bodies.

Occasionally, we saw that the rear trunk harness had a break in a few wires and caused some electrical gremlins. Was just a smidge too short on some units, probably an out of spec batch from the supplier in Japan. We would take the harness and add a foot extra wiring to all wires once we found the broken wire.

Also, the rear bulb malfunction indicator is sensitive. Some bulb brands, even when all are functioning after replacement, can trigger the warning on the dash. Lexus spec replacement bulbs will solve it.

jmsa540

Established Member
Excellent information!
Solid car. The engine in the 98-00 are the first gen version of the engine found in the LS430. Big step up from the original 1UZ. Never had any real issues with this gen.

Front lower ball joints, cooling system parts (radiator and heater shut off valve come to mind) and the drive shaft damper couplers are a few of the things that may need attention. Also, the shift shaft seals will leak, causing a condition where the inspection looks like the trans pan RTV failing is the cause of the leak. Its BOTH shifter shaft seals. The one on the drivers side is covered by the PRNDL switch. Replace both, clean off and reinspect to see if pan gasket also is leaking

Failed radiator cap is a big issue that can go undetected but cause a lot of cooling issues. Id replace it with Lexus OEM only.

Throttle body is a hybrid drive by wire/cable drive unit. There was a warranty enhancement on those while I was a technician. Not sure if the coverage is still there but a check with your local Lexus dealer could be beneficial. Also, be VERY careful when purging coolant from the plug on top of the T body. Too much torque when reinstalling can literally break the aluminum around it... ask me how I know. I actually kept a few spare housings from ones I replaced to cover my ass if I did break the housing again lol. Very similar to LX470 throttle bodies.

Occasionally, we saw that the rear trunk harness had a break in a few wires and caused some electrical gremlins. Was just a smidge too short on some units, probably an out of spec batch from the supplier in Japan. We would take the harness and add a foot extra wiring to all wires once we found the broken wire.

Also, the rear bulb malfunction indicator is sensitive. Some bulb brands, even when all are functioning after replacement, can trigger the warning on the dash. Lexus spec replacement bulbs will solve it.

Users who are viewing this thread