LEXiiON's 2013 GT500 retrofit thread

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Hello SVTP'lers,

some of you may have followed the post I made in the 2013GT500 cluster retrofit thread. I decided to make a build thread to describe the complete transformation of my car.

A couple of words: I understand, that there will be folks that completely disagree with what I am doing here. That's ok, but please do not turn this thread into a "clone" discussion. If you like, create a new thread in the appropriate forum and I am happy to comment.

Ok. Let's start in the beginning. I bought the car back in September 2010 brand new. This is how it looked. My first Mustang ever. Pretty good deal and I was happy as a little kid during Christmas.

Original.jpg

Over the last 5 years it transformed into this (I cloned everything. Even the fuel label in the fuel door - there is nothing except the engine and VIN that distinguishes this car from a real one - and I am working on the engine :D ):

Winterreifen.jpg

I have to admit, the intention of cloning a 2013GT500 came very late in the game. Basically when we figured out, that the 2013 GT500 cluster retrofit would only work 100% on a 2010, if the PCM is swapped, I decided late last year to go for it. This Mustang was supercharged, ready to be sold for a GT350, but then I came across some cheap parts for my build and decided to move ahead.

I was adding mods to it since the beginning. Some of the work I did was adding the 2013 Headlights (my own custom wiring in early 2013) the 13.8" rear brakes in Jan 2013 - (here is the how to: View attachment Ford Mustang 2013 GT500 Rear Break Install Guide for Mustang GT 2005.pdf) seats skins, exhaust (with welding in the reducers to 2.5") - basically slowly over time all the parts from the GT500.

What's missing now? The drivetrain, the Bilsteins and swapping the 4 piston brembo's to the 6 piston ones.

And here is where I am. The Brembo upgrade is for later, the Bilstein will be done, once the drive train is completed (I have the VDM - vehicle dynamics module - and the wire harness needed will include the plugs for the electronic dampers).

I am very close to the drivetrain conversion. I have all major parts, missing is only:

Engine bay harness - The one I got with the engine is cut at too many locations
Body harness
Dual Fuel Pump from a 2010-12 GT500 (can't use the 13-14 as they use the coyote plastic tank and have an angled head)
Brake Booster
Clutch kit

This thing is the best to look at. 225miles, not even broken in. I had to swap the battery harness on the engine, as they have torn some wires and bent the tabs while removing it from the wreck. Otherwise it is pretty complete. Starter motor will come Wednesday. As my car is a 2010, the EVAP is different. Basically the EVAP purge valve on the 2013 GT500 is located on the supercharger. the existing EVAP valve on the drivers side in the engine bay will be removed with all hoses and the new EVAP hose from the fuel line to the TVS supercharger will be used (P/N BR3Z-9G271-C).

Engine_1.jpg

Transmission is off a 2012 GT500 and I added Tob's adapter to fit the 2013 CF driveshaft. I sourced the intercooler and the engine actually came with all IC hoses and the pump. I have the OE midpipe and got new OTA's as I had to cut mine for the reducers. VDM, SJB, Amp, FPDM's are all sourced. The only custom wiring I have to do, is add the two wires to the drive mode switch. I will do that, while the dash is out.

Well, yes, the dash has to go out. The body and engine bay harness are going to certain extends behind the dash. That give me the opportunity to finally add the dual climate housing, that I didn't do when retrofitting the NAV.

I will continue to add the progress on this project.

LEXiiON

Last edited:

89Saleen215

Established Member
Funny...I thought about doing something similar in '08 with a 2005, but after I priced the engine, trans, computer, and etc...I just went a bought a GT500. You must have gotten a really good deal on all the parts to make it worth the while or you just love a good challenge ;)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Complete dedication to you ride. Lexiion, you sir are a true gearhead. Wicked ride, and glad to have guys like you in the Ford family!

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Can't wait to see you make the electronic Bilstein's work. You may be the one that finally opens the floodgates. Good luck!

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
The starter came in today. Man that thing is tiny..

image.jpg

LEXiiON

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The beauty of having a naturally low compression engine is thst its easier to crank over. :)

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
The beauty of having a naturally low compression engine is thst its easier to crank over. :)
Ha! Probably true :) .. I was just surprised how small it is.. On the other hand less weight is always better

LEXiiON

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Interesting project you have going there! Perhaps I overlooked but did you manage to get a set of recaros as well? Other than the engine itself, getting a hold of those could be one of the most expensive things. I was interested in getting a set for my 2010 until I learned it'd cost me about $4k lol. yikes.

I've always assumed the work it'd take to get that cluster gauge working on a 2010 is not even worth the time and money, but that's awesome you got it working. I believe 2011-12 guys have it a bit easier due to the electronics their cars have.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Interesting project you have going there! Perhaps I overlooked but did you manage to get a set of recaros as well? Other than the engine itself, getting a hold of those could be one of the most expensive things. I was interested in getting a set for my 2010 until I learned it'd cost me about $4k lol. yikes.

I've always assumed the work it'd take to get that cluster gauge working on a 2010 is not even worth the time and money, but that's awesome you got it working. I believe 2011-12 guys have it a bit easier due to the electronics their cars have.

Recaros are on my list, but difficult to find with silver stripes. The cluster works, we just abandoned boost and AFR due to the analog converter difficulties and track apps will never work with the 2010 pcm. The 11+ folks have an advantage here.
Last year around this time I never thought about swapping. But hey, I got most of the parts very cheap, including the 5.8 so I decided to move ahead.
LEXiiON

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Very nice job man.

Where did you get the stripe kit if you don't mind me asking.

First I wanted to go with a set from bmc. But then a local shop was doing them including install for the same price. So I went with them. There are two things that I am absolutely horrible at: Vinyl and Paint. So I leave that up to folks that know what they are doing ;-)

LEXiiON

C.Stanley

Infidel
Established Member
First I wanted to go with a set from bmc. But then a local shop was doing them including install for the same price. So I went with them. There are two things that I am absolutely horrible at: Vinyl and Paint. So I leave that up to folks that know what they are doing ;-)

LEXiiON

Thanks for the reply. I suck at vinyl as well. Will your local shop ship vinyl? The place I use has messed them up twice.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks for the reply. I suck at vinyl as well. Will your local shop ship vinyl? The place I use has messed them up twice.

I don't know. Maybe you just give them a call? It's Exclipse in Lafayette, CO

LEXiiON

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Can't wait to see you make the electronic Bilstein's work. You may be the one that finally opens the floodgates. Good luck!

federico down in mexicali is currently working on it for his 08.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I finally got my wheels mounted after they got refinished. The first shop didn't wanted to touch them (scared of scratching them, so I found a Ford dealer that is also doing Aston Martin and Lamborghini and they came back just fine). I replaced the rear tires with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (got a very good price on both - $380 for the pair) and wow what a difference compared to the GY. Now I rub down the fronts and replace them asap. I think they came out a little bit darker then they were before refinishing. I attached the before and after. Hard to say, but I think they are.

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

after.jpg

I am not sure if I just too concerned, but I think they are darker. What is your take?

LEXiiON

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Slowly getting the missing parts in. This week I got the brake booster, the slave cylinder and the clutch is ordered (should be here next week). The only other two parts missing are the light harness and the body harness (oh and the dampers for the electronic suspension, but I can add them any time).

So I guess, a couple more weeks and I will be ready to ground the car and get started with the swap.

Btw, a friend took me for a ride last weekend in his 2014GT500 and I am impressed. The power is just insane (ok, he has some mods, like the mono tb, smaller pulley, CF JLT intake etc) but i really fell in love with the bilsteins. Just WOW! The normal ride is nice and soft, the sport mode is firm but not harsh... I guess i need to move the bilsteins up in priority :D

LEXiiON

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Good...GOD...man! Why the hell didn't you just go buy a real Shelby?? You must be sitting on a fat bank account for all that work and parts to even remotely be feasible or sensible. And are you going to try to pass it off as the real deal when you go to sell it?

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Good...GOD...man! Why the hell didn't you just go buy a real Shelby?? You must be sitting on a fat bank account for all that work and parts to even remotely be feasible or sensible. And are you going to try to pass it off as the real deal when you go to sell it?

I was at the point to buy one. But then, things happened differently. BTW, in the end I actually spend less... All about parts hunting and getting the best deal. And to your last question, no I am not going to sell it. And if I ever would, the VIN will tell the truth anyways. So no need to worry.

LEXiiON

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Alright... Parts are rolling in. Tomorrow I will get the harnesses needed, Saturday my Bilsteins...
All other stuff is already here. Well except the starter bolts, they are on national back order. Well I hope mine fit.
The targeted start date for this build is this Friday. I will get the A/C evacuated in the morning and then tear down. Everything (well almost) has to go out. This is hopefully completed by Sunday, so that I can tow the car to a lift next week to swap the drivetrain. I hope to do that next Thursday. Then button everything up to be done on the 20th.
I will take lots of pictures and post them with my progress.
Stay tuned:D
LEXiiON

Users who are viewing this thread