Leveling the Rake on Boss 302 Suspension. Any chance this will fix my wheel hop?

Does it look better or worse?

• Better

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

phoenix64

Established Member
My GT has Boss 302 springs and shocks, but has always suffered from wheel hop in the wet or snow.
After replacing the upper(roush) and lower control arms(BMR, and Ford Racing), I still have wheel hop. So as a last ditch effort, I bought some BMR lowering springs just for the rear of the car.
Not sure about the ride/handling as of yet, it's noticeably stiffer.
Here is what it now looks like compared to a stock Boss 302. IMG_9278.JPG IMG_9283.JPG IMG_9258.JPG IMG_9270.JPG

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Wheel hop is caused by incorrect toe occuring during hard acceleration. You have to keep the toe correct. Normally, control arms are swapped for something with diff bushings or hemi joints. It also helps to be sure the control arms are pushing the car forward level with the frame. Of they're pointing up or down, it's also gonna be a problem.

phoenix64

Established Member
Wheel hop is caused by incorrect toe occuring during hard acceleration. You have to keep the toe correct. Normally, control arms are swapped for something with diff bushings or hemi joints. It also helps to be sure the control arms are pushing the car forward level with the frame. Of they're pointing up or down, it's also gonna be a problem.
I've never heard that before, isn't toe fixed in a live axle setup?
It's not due to hard acceleration, the car has never done it in the dry. The lower the grip the worse it is. It's bad in the wet, and the worst in the snow.

I've also driven a 2012 v6 in the wet and snow, and it has never wheel hopped on me, not even a hint of it. It's an automatic though.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Wheel hop can also happen while powering out of a corner at slow speed. When car is in a low gear and torque multiplication is high, it has the same affect as a harsh hole-shot. The toe changes under hard acceleration due to the bushing crushing and stretching.

Last edited:

paulyboy928

Established Member
My wheel hop was 85% gone when I installed the BMR uca. After I installed their lowering springs and lca relos, it's about 98% gone. I very rarely even notice the slightest bit. So to answer your question, lowering my car along with the lca relos definitely helped the wheel hop.

azazell64

Established Member
I agree with the above stated comment. I am running all BMR in the rear and it has zero wheel hop. BMR adjustable upper (be sure to set your pinion angle). BMR lowers with adjustable panhard bar (again adjusted correctly). I've even had my Ford mechanic (which is also a buddy of mine) comment about how extremely well the car behaves. I'm running the Ford Racing Boss 302 lowering springs but I'm thinking they should likely have a similar spring rate to the ones that you're running. I noticed when installing the panhard bar and the rest of the suspension parts that from factory they are quite a bit out. Hopefully this helps you, if you need any more info from me, feel free to send me a message.

phoenix64

Established Member
My wheel hop was 85% gone when I installed the BMR uca. After I installed their lowering springs and lca relos, it's about 98% gone. I very rarely even notice the slightest bit. So to answer your question, lowering my car along with the lca relos definitely helped the wheel hop.

So after a week of driving the car with the BMR springs, I would say it's about 85-90% gone. Of all the Mods, the springs made the biggest difference for me. Maybe I'll try the lower control arm relocation brackets next.
I'll update how the car does in the snow with it's new snow tires.

Users who are viewing this thread