Level 5's, Delrins, AEM Wideband, Canton Tank, PA Alt all Installed Review Inside!

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
Picked up the car today around 2ish. First thing I noticed was that the rear wheels studs are like freddy crugar studs comparted to the stock ones. I should have pictures up by tomorrow or so, monday at the latest.

The drive home...

I had all the rear IRS bushings replaced with Delrin ones from MM. And the first thing I noticed when driving was the speedbump coming out of the DPR parking lot. I felt that the car didn't "bounce" as much when I went over the bump. Could of been in my head, but hey its the first thing I noticed.

Next thing I happen to notice was the onramp from mission gorge to 8 east. I thought because of the other suspension work I had done (strut tower, springs, subframes, roll cage) that I had little to no body roll....boy was I wrong. You could totally tell that I once upon a time did, but now the car seemed to firmly plant itself on the road.

Came out of that turn and what does everybody due when they merge....I gunned it, and I learned what many many people have been saying on message boards across the country...tailpipe sniffers for a/f are crap.
You hear that they can be off from .5 of a point all the way to a full point if not maintained properly. As I review my previous dyno sheet with the a/f printout I notice it starts off at the low 11's, and eventually hits 12.0 at 6k rpms. (this is with tailpipe) Now on my run from the onramp, I watched the wideband...it never hit 11's. Started off from 10.3 and eventually hit 10.9 almost near redline.

So I came home and took some fuel out to lean it out a bit, but never got a chance to run it on the freeway to find out.

Level 5's...don't know anything yet till I go to the track, but I'm pretty sure they will hold up. However, I do need an allignment now, and I believe these are the culprit.

PA Alternator- Seems to be working fine, no dimming of the headlights when I hit the window switches like with the stock one. Thumbs up on this so far...

Canton Tank- I was really suprised by this, when I pulled it out of the box I wasn't too thrilled with the quality...seemed a little, well cheap. However sitting next to the PFAB and in front of the blower...it really setoff the engine bay. Now it looks complete...minus a KB or Whipple of course. Haha, yah right.

The only negatives I found was that I was told the bushings will cause extra road noise to be more audible and boy were they right. You can hear a lot more...not terrible, just noticable. And then the freddy crugar wheel studs. You'll have to see the pics to understand...

Cliff Notes- Everything installed, noticed a difference in bushings...found out I was actually running rich with the wideband compared to what the sniffer was telling me. Love the look of engine bay with canton tank...need an allignment.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
interesting. Glad you like the mods. I need to upgrade stuff on my IRS over the winter. Hopefully it wont be too bad to do on my own.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
I wanna know more about the Level 5's! Get to the track and do some 7000 rpm sidestepping launches and see how they hold up! LOL

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
Kevin the Clean 1 said:
96BlackSnake,

I cant wait to see some picts. I am thinking of putting in those bushings too. ;-)

Pics should be up later today, monday at the latest :beer:

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
I'm doing the Delrin uppers/lowers on my car right now... I have the whole subframe apart in my basement working on it as I have time. I will say thusfar it's not been a fun job but I hope it will be worth it. This is the very LAST thing I have to do to the IRS in my car... I've got everything else practically and damn has it been expensive :-D

I will say I'm glad the whole IRS is out of the car to do this as it would be a royal PITA to straighten the mounting tabs with it in the car ;-)

Shannon

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
In no specific order...

103190.jpg

103194.jpg

103195.jpg

103196.jpg

103197.jpg

103198.jpg

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
103199.jpg

103200.jpg

103201.jpg

103202.jpg

103203.jpg

103204.jpg

I'm waiting to recieve the front control arm bushings and the swaybar endlink pictures...will post those as soon as I can.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Was that your car there last Friday? and are you still running Shawn's tune? Just curious because I thought he used the bungs for tuning...

96BlackSnake

I Am The Chosen One
Established Member
03yllwguy said:
Was that your car there last Friday? and are you still running Shawn's tune? Just curious because I thought he used the bungs for tuning...

PM check mang :thumbsup:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
96BlackSnake said:
there on socal stangs, but I'll post them here too since I haven't seen you visit there in quite sometime...
Thanks for posting... yeah unfortunately I haven't been there for a while. That will change in 5 minutes... haha

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
90% of the road noise is from the alumnium diff bushings.

That sucks to hear that. I was thinking of doing this to get rid of some of the driveline/ drivetrain vibrations... I guess I will have to go with the other MM diff bushings. Some people say they will melt, is this true? I want to make my IRS as solid as a solid axle but I want to maintain that good NVH and great ride quality of the IRS...:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread