Letting pressure out of your tires?

90Mustang

Established Member
I have a 86 Gt with 255's on back and i'm taking her to the track for the first time friday. I've heard of letting out a little bit of pressure for a better launch and i was wondering how much to let out?

blwn2kgt

Established Member
90Mustang said:
i think its suppose to be 44psi regular. I just don't wanna let to much out.

well you never really said what kind of tires?? Drag radials are meant to run anywhere from 12 to 20 psi! just make sure you pump them back up before leaving the track this is critical! If they are street tires I dont think you gain too much by letting air out unless your running them at the max which is 44psi. I dont know too many people who do that the ride would be hard as hell at 44psi. You should be able to run 25 to 30 psi safely though on street radials!

90Mustang

Established Member
my bad. they are street radials. i tried them at the track at about 25psi and it was better then 44psi. I still spun alot in 1st. I guess i need to get some stickies!

blwn2kgt

Established Member
yeah i woulda went 25psi too but the fact is you have to be a really good driver with a lot of practice to get a decent launch with street tires i tried it for the first time in street radials in my GT and could only manage a 13.78 at like 108MPH I shoulda been in the 12's I could not get the friggin car outta the hole! Get some DR's man you'll love em for sure!

lone sailor

Established Member
On street tires you will hook better at the track as previously stated with lower tire pressure, I'm thinking 35 psi is the max any tire manufacturer will recommend on passenger car tires. However I wouldn't go less than 15psi myself. Any less than that and you run t a lot higher risk of busting the bead. What mods do you currently have on the 86'?

90Mustang

Established Member
It has a 89 5.0 motor with these mods:
Ported and polished E7 heads
E-303 camshaft
GT-40 upper and lower intake manifolds
MAC 70MM throttle body and EGR spacer.
75MM Pro-M mass air meter.
8" K&N cone air filter.
Dual electric fans.
MAC underdrive pullys.
BBK adjustable clutch cable and aluminum quadrant.
BBK lower control arms.
BBK equal length headers.
Bassini X-Pipe with High flow cats.
Magnaflow superturbo muffflers.
Ford Motorsport 3.73 Gears.
Pro 5.0 Shifter
200 AMP alternator

I couldn't launch/rev her past 2000 cause she would just spin in first.

Last edited:

lone sailor

Established Member
That looks like a descent setup you have there. I'd say you should be in the mid to lower 13's. I have a similar setup and am currently running between 13.4 and 13.8 depending on weather and traction. With street tires I am the same way, I generally lauch around 1600 and I can get more aggressive with the clutch and throttle that way. With e/t streets I can get it up closer to 2000 rpm and get descent launches.

Last edited:

digdugdaddy

Tainty Suprise
Established Member
That's a 12sec. car with good driving and tires all day long. Practice, practice, practice is the only way you are going to run better. I had a similar setup on a 83' Capri with stock heads and cam and ran 13.0x's@108-110 all day long on street tires. I could not break a 12 to save my life though.

blwn2kgt

Established Member
JVENOM said:
i drop mines too 20 psi...but it didn't help me. I think i just got hard tires(kuhmos).

yeah i had khumos i dont really like em kinda cheap though so i bought em once never again

Users who are viewing this thread