Letting go of the Boss?

Wile E. Coyote

Established Member
Hypothetical question here. If the option came up to trade my boss for a 2011 GT500 what are the pros and cons? I'm in the ball park of 700 hp with my VMP setup.

All inputs are appreciated.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Gt500

Pros:
Will hold value longer
More displacement
Beefier transmission

Cons:
Heavier
Older tech in the engine (does not have Ti Vct)
Gt500 specific items have a "shelby tax"

Both engines have the potential to make a lot of power.
The downside to the boss is the trans, as soon as you swap in that RXT clutch the trans will be on borrowed time at that power level.

I'm assuming your a street/strip guy by your sig. If it where me I would stick with the boss and do a trans swap if the 2011 is the only year gt500 you can trade for. Now if it was a 2013/2014 gt500....

*edit* I see you're now stateside, welcome back.

What are your specific goals?

Last edited:

Wile E. Coyote

Established Member
I'd like a good 800 hp street car. I like the prestige of having a GT500. I guess my real question is what is the better platform for it. Will I still need a transmission swap in the GT500.

_Snake_

Established Member
Prestige of owning a GT500 vs. a Boss at 12psi? I guess it's all about perspective, cause I'm not seeing it.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Imo I bought my Boss over the 13/14 GT500... Yes it's a power house, but it feels big to me. I hated the feel of it. It was fast in a straight line though. So I wouldn't go there... I'm having trouble letting go of my Boss for the GT350 I have on order....

Wile E. Coyote

Established Member
Gt500

Pros:
Will hold value longer
More displacement
Beefier transmission

Cons:
Heavier
Older tech in the engine (does not have Ti Vct)
Gt500 specific items have a "shelby tax"

Both engines have the potential to make a lot of power.
The downside to the boss is the trans, as soon as you swap in that RXT clutch the trans will be on borrowed time at that power level.

I'm assuming your a street/strip guy by your sig. If it where me I would stick with the boss and do a trans swap if the 2011 is the only year gt500 you can trade for. Now if it was a 2013/2014 gt500....

*edit* I see you're now stateside, welcome back.

What are your specific goals?

Which Trans swap? Temec magnum xl? Or is there something better?

12raceredboss

I would keep your Boss - you see GT-500's all over the place. The only GT-500 I'd consider trading for is the 13/14. Just my opinion though...some people can't live without that snake emblem. If you're interested in value, I don't think a 2011 GT-500 is going to hold any better than your 13 Boss.

dlaude

Established Member
Hypothetical question here. If the option came up to trade my boss for a 2011 GT500 what are the pros and cons? I'm in the ball park of 700 hp with my VMP setup.

All inputs are appreciated.

I'm currently in the market for a '12/'13 Boss or a '10-'12 GT500 and am leaning towards the Boss for a few reasons (handling of Boss, stock vs stock straight line acceleration is pretty similar). The pros and cons are spelled out nicely already, and I agree with them.

Personally, if it were me, I'd stick with your car because you're already above the power level of a GT500 and I believe the engines are capable of holding similar power, AND you've got one of the best colors Ford has ever produced, in my opinion, of course.

That being said, if you go to sell, PM me. Unless the car is in Japan, not sure I can foot that shipping bill haha.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you're at 700hp in your Boss, I'd keep it.

EDIT: If you do sell, pm me.

Krohn

Established Member
You'd probably be happy with a 13-14 GT500, NOT an 11-12. You're already supercharged with a better suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread