Let's Talk Vinyl Privacy Fences

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
My wife and I will be moving to Evansville Wisconsin in a couple months. We will be closing on our new home on Jan. 31. The house we are closing on does not have a fenced in yard, so being we have two Great Danes, we will have to have a fence installed.

I figure a privacy fence is probably best to try and keep the dogs barking to a minimum because they will not be able to see all the activity on the other side of the fence. I had the realtor check to make sure a privacy fence was allowed and I am also going to talk to the city building inspector on Tuesday for confirmation.

From what I have been researching, a 6'-0" vinyl privacy fence appears to be the best solution since there is very little maintenance once it is erected.

Is there any better alternatives to a vinyl privacy fence?
Is there better grades of vinyl fencing I need to ask for?
Are the construction methods for vinyl privacy fences pretty standard (post spacings, setting post depth/concrete, etc.) or do I need to specifically ask for anything?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I want to do this right the first time.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Have the fence installed about 4 inches above ground level, makes it much easier for weed whacking and mowing.

If the fence goes right to the ground, the bottom will always look like shit after you mow and trim.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
If your dogs dont dig , that would be fine .
If they dig , tou would be better off with a chain link fence , burried a foot , then back filled .
You can install vinyle slats of many colors , to make a privacy fence .

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure you can replace individual slats vs having to buy a whole panel if one gets broken. When I got mine places like lowes you’d have to buy. Whole damned panel.

Also if you have any kind of slope make sure the installer will level it all out. Again all lowes would do is “step” it so there would be obvious height changes panel to panel

jshen

Established Member
No offense but I already feel sorry for your neighbors. My sister has two Danes next door to her and they bark, dig and are a pain in ass. Luckly they are friendly, but not to other animals...

A well made privacy fence can last over 30 years, mine is pressure treated and does fine in the south. Vinyl sounds good if the underlying wood is sturdy...otherwise dogs can claw through.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Pressure treated picket fence is the way to go. A shiny white plastic fence just looks so...fake. They fade, warp, and crack too.
Not much maintenance with an unpainted 6' wooden picket fence. It'll be a good 4+ years before you would need to do anything like replace a picket or 2, unless you live in Tornado alley.

Booky

Established Member
Pressure treated picket fence is the way to go. A shiny white plastic fence just looks so...fake. They fade, warp, and crack too.
Not much maintenance with an unpainted 6' wooden picket fence. It'll be a good 4+ years before you would need to do anything like replace a picket or 2, unless you live in Tornado alley.

We cannot use a picket fence due to the dogs.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
No offense but I already feel sorry for your neighbors. My sister has two Danes next door to her and they bark, dig and are a pain in ass. Luckly they are friendly, but not to other animals...

A well made privacy fence can last over 30 years, mine is pressure treated and does fine in the south. Vinyl sounds good if the underlying wood is sturdy...otherwise dogs can claw through.
Time to shock collar those bitches.

Sent from my hairy pimpled buttocks using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Booky

Established Member

No offense taken.

It is no different than my wife and I (no kids) having to tolerate neighbor kids running around screaming and yelling while they are playing outside.

Or the the neighbor with the high school kids who's friends show up at all hours and park along the street, sometimes in front of our house. Revving their cars as they come and go.

Or the neighbor down the street who loves to ride his Harley that is so loud you have to wait until he gets past the house to continue your conversation with the neighbor.

Or the guy who has an obnoxiously loud truck with long tube headers and Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler, starting his truck every morning at 5:30 am so he can get to work by 6:00 am. Oh wait......... that's me. ;)

jshen

Established Member
So true!! It gets kinda cool in Wisconsin...How do you handle the dogs? My sister lives on a mountain overlooking Charleston WV and it gets kinda cool there...She says her neighbors have blanket/coats for dogs when they're out.

As to fence..chain link up 4 feet or so in front of wood privacy fence. The chain link will keep them from getting to wood fence.

My neighbor had an Airedale and Cujo literally ate holes in the fence trying to get to whatever. I told them it was my fence the dogs were destroying and they did nothing...So I set up the "HotSpark" electric fence for keeping Bulls . I wired it along my back fence line..After a couple days...I just unplugged the wire. Dogs would not go near that fence..

Booky

Established Member
No problems with damaging the fence or digging with our Danes. They are just too lazy. lol
They actually prefer to be in the house. They mostly go out to do their business and maybe play a little. They are not out for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.
We do have coats for them when it gets real cold (below freezing):

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My great Dane is quiet as a mouse when we aren't home. Neighbors tell us all the time they can't believe how quiet she is during the day. Everyone knows when we get home though lol.

limepro

Established Member
I live in Miami, no one has vinyl fences, we have a wood fence. I am in Tampa right now and everyone has a vinyl fence, they look like they belong on a doll house.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
We considered composite fencing when we fenced in our yard. Since it was going to be $12k for composite, we went with woven wire for our Boxers. We have just over an acre fenced in.
Composite fencing makes/shows just how horrible the vinyl fencing really is up close.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I live in Miami, no one has vinyl fences, we have a wood fence. I am in Tampa right now and everyone has a vinyl fence, they look like they belong on a doll house.
Mold and lawn mower stains really the white vinyl look bad. We went metal as wood is not allowed. Justified by wood attracting termites and though wood can be treated they are not guaranteed. The HOA can go the extra mile to make the community look uniform. It is the nature of HOAs. It is a love hate I have for this HOA, mostly good people but run by the Northeast gang of retired union guys.

Sent from my hairy pimpled buttocks using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Booky

Established Member
We considered composite fencing when we fenced in our yard. Since it was going to be $12k for composite, we went with woven wire for our Boxers. We have just over an acre fenced in.
Composite fencing makes/shows just how horrible the vinyl fencing really is up close.

I guess I never thought about Composite fence so thank you for bringing that up. I did some looking and the Composite does look much better than vinyl.

Other than the cost, which does not seem to be much more than vinyl, is there any advantages vinyl has over Composite privacy fences?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
If composite fencing is anything like decking it is guaranteed against fading or staining for 25 years. We just redid out deck in composite after having done the porch in it 12 years ago. The front porch still looks as good as new.

RRMBrembo

Established Member
We just moved from a house with a privacy fence to a house with a fence our dog can see through. Granted we have a boxer, but he barks far less since he can see through the fence than with the privacy fence. Every noise that he couldn't see he'd bark at. Maybe GDanes are different.

Users who are viewing this thread