Lets Talk LCD TV's

jrscobra

blank
Established Member
I'm in the market for an LCD for my bedroom.

I've got a Sony 60" in the living room. Its great. but Im wondering if anyone has access to a consumer reports that featured TV's and how they rated in the 32-42" size.

I want 1080p, 120hz and thats about all I know. I'm admitting to knowing very little about them, and thought I'd ask you all.

Thanks for any input.

J.R.

falke401

Established Member
I picked up a 47 inch LG 1080p 120hz lcd for $1K and am happy with it. I cant remember the exact model.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
My mom gets consumer reports, and I have a hard time believing most of the ratings in there, especially when it comes to cars.

After recently looking at LCD tv's, I'd go with a Sony. The V5100 series is probably your best bet.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
I have had Panasonic's for several years and never had any issues with them at all. I have a 60" LCD, a 60" Plasma and a 42" LCD.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
you should consider going with plasma. the picture quality is much better than LCD, they are cheaper, and it will have 600HZ refresh as opposed to the 120HZ of the LCD...

THE_STIG

Established Member
I don't know much about TVs other than size and how good the picture/sound is but I was at Best Buy yesterday because I too am looking for a tv, I found a Dynex 32" HDTV flat screen for $305. It was an open box model but to save $70 I think I am going to grab it. Comes with a warranty and everything, might want to look into open box models if you are on a budget.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
I have a Westinghouse 42" LCD, the picture is really good when watching ESPN, sports or PS3, the picture quality in 1080p is phenomenal, as is the 720. If i was to buy another tv which i will within a year or two, i would wait ang get an LED tv, ive seen comparisons and they blow plasma out of the water, but since its a new product there will be bugs. Its a shame it took plasmas this long to get efficient and reliable, its a good product, but LED is the future.

amxguy1970

Established Member
I would skip LCD and go with a plasma...

Not for a room with alot of light you don't.

you should consider going with plasma. the picture quality is much better than LCD, they are cheaper, and it will have 600HZ refresh as opposed to the 120HZ of the LCD...

I agree the picture is better, but cheaper? I have been shopping 40-42's LCD and everything I see shows the LCD as being cheaper.

Yes, please people who do know this stuff discuss. What are the top brands for LCD? I am in the same boat as the OP (want to spend right around 1K) and want it to last since it will be my new living room TV. 1080P 120HZ and after that I have no idea what else I need. Plan to get a PS3 when I move in and that is it.

Tyler

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
The big deal about plasma was that the blacks were good, LCD is just as good now. Plasmas are cheaper but you can't beat a LCD. I have a Hitachi 42" plasma which was supposed to be one of the leaders in plasma at the time. Didn't even have a PC connection to it and video wasn't nearly as good. Thier EXTREMELY heavy due to all the gases and put out a ton of heat, you could heat a small room with those things. Concerning 240hz vs 600hz, this can't possibly be a main point! Who gives a shit! 120hz is fine and I'm pretty sure there isn't a whole lot of stuff at there that can utilize super high refresh rates or would you ever need it. Not only would 600hz cost you a arm in a leg but it's not necessary! Top LCD brand is Samsung by far! I personally use Sharp as it's a great middle LCD, great picture a lot of the functions of high end TV's without the price.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I have a Sony 52" LCD Bravia W4100 I think was the full part number. Last years model before the changed to the newest. 120hz, 1080P. Big change from the big honking 27" I had. I did a bunch of reasearch and it works for me.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
The big deal about plasma was that the blacks were good, LCD is just as good now. Plasmas are cheaper but you can't beat a LCD. I have a Hitachi 42" plasma which was supposed to be one of the leaders in plasma at the time. Didn't even have a PC connection to it and video wasn't nearly as good. Thier EXTREMELY heavy due to all the gases and put out a ton of heat, you could heat a small room with those things. Concerning 240hz vs 600hz, this can't possibly be a main point! Who gives a shit! 120hz is fine and I'm pretty sure there isn't a whole lot of stuff at there that can utilize super high refresh rates or would you ever need it. Not only would 600hz cost you a arm in a leg but it's not necessary! Top LCD brand is Samsung by far! I personally use Sharp as it's a great middle LCD, great picture a lot of the functions of high end TV's without the price.

LCD's are nowhere near Plasma black levels first of all and I don't know when you bought your Hitachi or when they were the best plasma's but it certainly wasn't in this decade. Concerning the whole 120hz, 240hz, 600hz....I suggest you head over to avsforum.com and read up! Screens are divided into parts and they add up the refresh rates for each part and thats how they get these high numbers. Plasmas will always be the smoothest picture, there's no getting around it! That's just the nature of the way their made...unless u want DLP or tube tb lol. Plasma's don't have the stupid "IR" or as most people call it "burn-in" anymore and if it did happen there are many features to remove it quickly. Not only are you getting the best black levels, your getting accurate whites, accurate color, smooth motion, ...i could go on for awhile. AND never ever let someone at Best Buy try to educate you...I work there and I'm saying that!!:lol: There all stupid and think they know everything but 99% don't. If you want any more help or need to talk about TV's....lemme know and head over to AVS Forum

Welcome!:dancenana:

Last edited:

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
LCD's are nowhere near Plasma black levels first of all and I don't know when you bought your Hitachi or when they were the best plasma's but it certainly wasn't in this decade. Concerning the whole 120hz, 240hz, 600hz....I suggest you head over to avsforum.com and read up! Screens are divided into parts and they add up the refresh rates for each part and thats how they get these high numbers. Plasmas will always be the smoothest picture, there's no getting around it! That's just the nature of the way their made...unless u want DLP or tube tb lol. Plasma's don't have the stupid "IR" or as most people call it "burn-in" anymore and if it did happen there are many features to remove it quickly. Not only are you getting the best black levels, your getting accurate whites, accurate color, smooth motion, ...i could go on for awhile. AND never ever let someone at Best Buy try to educate you...I work there and I'm saying that!!:lol: There all stupid and think they know everything but 99% don't. If you want any more help or need to talk about TV's....lemme know and head over to AVS Forum

Welcome!:dancenana:

so much anger, lol. I know how refresh rates work but you have to understand how retarted it is for 600hz! It's not necessary since plasma are nearly instantaneous and all it's just 10 subfields running at 60hz thus 600hz! Either way the arguement for motion blur on a plasma is non existent since the plasma technolgoy doesn't suffer from it at even 60hz so their 600hz is a marketing gimic for suckers/best buy workers! If plasmas are so great why did they take a huge dump in price and were on the back burner a few months after LCD came out and still are? A 50" Samsung with the great 600hz for $1500! LOL, man for something sooooo great it's pretty cheap! How about the decline in manufacturers of plasma over the yrs? Want some more reading material just google LCD vs Plasma. It's different for everyone, they are both good but the viewing angle of plasma is limited and it has a lot of glare not to mention their more energy efficient. I do belong to AVSforum but that doesn't replace real research and the comprehension of the technology.

Last edited:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Let's Talk Search Feature :thumbsup:

There are so many threads regarding LCD vs. Plasma etc. etc. on here. Seek and ye shall find!!!

JasonSnake

Established Member
the one feature I do not like about most LCD's (from personal experience, not sure if Plasmas do it too) is the dynamic contrast. To me, it has to be the most annoying thing when watching dark movies, or movies that have to do with space (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) because the whole picture automatically dims on the LCD. For example, for the LCD screen to get that "deep black" look, it has to dim the picture and then the stars in the background sort of disappear. I guess this is LCD's way of emulating "deep blacks".

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
the one feature I do not like about most LCD's (from personal experience, not sure if Plasmas do it too) is the dynamic contrast. To me, it has to be the most annoying thing when watching dark movies, or movies that have to do with space (Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) because the whole picture automatically dims on the LCD. For example, for the LCD screen to get that "deep black" look, it has to dim the picture and then the stars in the background sort of disappear. I guess this is LCD's way of emulating "deep blacks".

The absolute WORST is the 'Motion Enhancer' garbage they slap on all these new LCDs. It looks TURRIBLE.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

you can probably turn that off.......

i had a 32" LCD i was using as a monitor and it did that, and i was able to turn it off. It was annoying in FPS going from light to dark areas.

MrSwa

Established Member
From the research I did about 1 1/2 yrs ago, for a 32" lcd, unless your sitting closer than the diagonal distance (32") then you won't notice a difference in 720 or 1080. As far as refresh rates, I couldn't tell any difference in my 60hz vs the brand spanking new (at the time) 120hz. Maybe this technology has improved, but for this size I wouldn't worry about it. If you're looking bigger than 32", then we can really start up some debate.

I bought an lcd for the viewing angle and the brightness. I turned off the dynamic changing crap and love it. Are there tvs that "look" better, sure. But I'm really happy with what mine does and it fit my budget. Just remember that new technology is really cool, really expensive, and probably only provides small improvements over what's out there. Try and decide what is important to you before you look at led/lcd/plasma etc.

BTW, I have a 42" Philips that does 1080 at good ol' 60hz. Having said all that, I think LED tvs are the sex. Prob buy one in about 2 years after the technology gets cheaper.

JasonSnake

Established Member
you can probably turn that off.......

i had a 32" LCD i was using as a monitor and it did that, and i was able to turn it off. It was annoying in FPS going from light to dark areas.

I actually had to search allover the net for the manufacturer on-screen setup utility code instead of the user menu to turn off the Dynamic BS. This was for my Samsun 46" I had a couple years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread