Let's talk brakes

Black Sex

Established Member
I'm so sick of the way my stock brakes dust so I'm definitely changing the pads plus a little added stopping power would be nice. I'm looking at doing the Hawk HPS unless someone can refer a better pad at a similar cost. I would like to put a slotted/drilled rotor on but holy smokes are they expensive. Rotors aren't necessary since my car just turned 14k miles but they would be a nice addition.
My car is mostly spirited driving with some drag racing and occasional autocross.
Would I see more benefits from doing just front pads & rotors or front and rear pads and keeping the stock rotors?
If I do front rotors I will have mismatched rotors for a while unless someone can point me in the direction of good affordable rotors.
What would you do?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Hawk HPS pads have been great for me, even on light open track days.

Been using the Ford rotors, then switched to DBA slotted, now mismatched with a factory 2013 rotor in the front and DBA rear.. for now.

Van@RevanRacing

Lowest Dust and good for all around street and drag and road course is the Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake pad. Less dust than any other Hawk Brake pad.

Van

Black Sex

Established Member
I had some Hawk pads on one of my other Cobras and IIRC they were HPS and the dust levels were acceptable IMO. I'm willing to have a little dust in exchange for better stopping performance. Anything has to have less dust than the factory pads.
Do you think there would be more benefit in having good F & R pads with stock rotors or good front pads and rotors with stock rears?

89Saleen215

Established Member
I ran the Hawk ceramics and they don't stop as well as the HPS's. If the dust is acceptable then go HPS. The 2 noticeable mods are the pads and a set of stainless braided lines. The J & M set is a quality set if you want a close to OEM drop in. The stock rotors are easy to find and inexpensive too AND you don't have to worry about stress cracks, etc like you do with the drilled ones. Oh, and you can actually turn them unlike some of the "big name" brands where you have to throw them out once they are warped.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I really want to install the FRP Brake Duct Kit. Been checking into that. You said let's talk brakes :idea: so I thought I'd throw it out there too.

enormous

Established Member

Black Sex

Established Member

Black Sex

Established Member
IDK, but I work at a GM dealership and they get paid 1.4 hrs to do front pads and rotors. :lol: :shrug:

Imatk

Established Member
I run ceramic pads now, but I too notice the car doesn't stop as well.

I've debated going back to my other pads which would dust pretty bad. Say after a week of daily driving the wheel would be pretty dirty. Not black or anything, but dirty as hell.

The ceramics don't even look like they need to be cleaned after a week.

But... don't stop as well, so I guess it depends on what is most important to you.

Nsssane1

Established Member
With the Tps rotors and the C-max pads mine definitely stops better, and low brake dust. And a lady pulled right out in front of me going 65, they work.lol

Users who are viewing this thread