lets talk 317 strokers

4camwonder

Established Member
im going to post this here as well to see if i can get some help from SVTP...

so lets talk 317 strokers...

I've been looking at several sbf 302 based kits, and every time i come back to the 317... largest problem for me is there isn't a lot of info on these kits, as far as tips for building, power, etc...

as of now the engine would get a vic jr. intake with a demon carb, 190 heads with 64cc chambers, trying to stay around the 10:1 compression mark, and still be somewhat street-able.

so i want to know if anyone here has experiance with these kits.

please refrain from the "just do a 331 or 347", its not in the cards. this engine is "cheap" and is only going to get me by till december; when my complete gr-40 suspension gets here, so i can put my coyote crate engine in the car this winter...

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
A 317 stroker uses a 3.1 stroke. You can buy a 3.1 stroke crank from companies like Eagle. Or you can have the stock crank offset ground to 3.1 stroke.

You can build one with various rod lengths. You can go to a 289 rod (its a 5.1xx long rod compared to a 302 rod which is 5.090inch) OR use a 5.400 inch rod.

You will have to get a custom piston. Im not sure which off the shelf piston will work with this combo. Contact CHP or Probe for piston info as they used to sell the 317 stroker kits.
Used to be popular back in the day before the 3.25 and 3.400 stroke cranks came out. Some people still use this setup, but of course the 332 and 347s are more widely used.

Last edited:

4camwonder

Established Member
A 317 stroker uses a 3.1 stroke. You can buy a 3.1 stroke crank from companies like Eagle. Or you can have the stock crank offset ground to 3.1 stroke.

You can build one with various rod lengths. You can go to a 289 rod (its a 5.1xx long rod compared to a 302 rod which is 5.090inch) OR use a 5.400 inch rod.

You will have to get a custom piston. Im not sure which off the shelf piston will work with this combo. Contact CHP or Probe for piston info as they used to sell the 317 stroker kits.
Used to be popular back in the day before the 3.25 and 3.400 stroke cranks came out. Some people still use this setup, but of course the 332 and 347s are more widely used.

you can use off the self 408 pistons, with the 5.400 rod combo, they just have to have a pin height of 1.230

right now i have a 3.100 4340 eagle crank, cat 4 bolt main caps, block girdle, with 5.400 forged rods, and 75% of the top end... the only itme i really have to purchase are the pistons, cam and rockers...

more or less i was hoping someone here has built one of these, as there isnt alot of info out there.

Users who are viewing this thread