Let's Read A Good Book ...

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Back in the '60s, I bought a new Motor Manual, to get specs, and instructions on repairing the components on my '57 Pontiac Chieftan. It helped me tremendously, because I had absolutely no experience on autos.

Well, in about 2002 / 2003, I bought a Haynes Repair Manual at Auto Clone, for about $23 or so. I had just bought a '95 Cobra, and new absolutely nothing about it, and it's components. I knew that I couldn't afford to take it to the shop or to a dealer everytime something went wrong. Even changing the plugs and wires, it gave me the recommended plug, the gap, and the cylinder numbers / distributor tower numbers, for locating the new wires.

I don't think I had come across SVT Performance yet, so the manual was all I had to go by. But,with the help of this Forum and the manual, everything started looking so much easier ...

Many of the posts here, are covered in detail, with photos. Troubleshooting, computer codes (what they mean, and suggestions on how to cure them), wiring schematics, general specs, torques, servicing, and much more.

I'll admit that on a couple of jobs, the instructions were not perfectly clear, and I had to re-read many paragraphs. Some of the jobs I did, and I admit that they are not all that complicated (but having a few tips, specs, and torques did really help), were replacing the rear springs, rear sway bar, all rotors & pads, radiator, hoses & belt, upper air plenum & valve covers, console, radio, CD, instrument cluster & bezel, seats, etc.

The manual cannot be replaced by second guessing, taking chances, or saying, "I'll just try it like this, and see what happens."

Most owners spend hundreds of dollars buying tires, wheels, gages, spoilers, hoods, "Cobra" bumpers ... well, you know what I mean, and then they don't spend the small amount of money for a repair manual - I just don't get it.

I'm searching "Craigslist" right now, for the repair manual. I let mine go (as with all cars I've had in the last 10 years) with the Cobra, when I sold it.

JMO, but let's read a good book ... it's very entertaining, enjoyable, and rewarding. Could mean the difference of some big dollars!

Either way, I'm still going to read all of the Threads and Replies, as I always have. Once in a great while, I may have something to add, from my experiences.

:beer: :pepper: :pepper::-D :read::-D :pepper: :pepper: :beer: :beer:

BTW, I'm not against asking for help! The worst question I can think of, is the one that isn't asked!

I asked for a lot of help and advice during my three years or so of ownership, but the manual is a great weapon to have when the Cobra starts getting sick ...

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
The only one I have recently used is the Haynes Repair Manual. I recommend it, naturally ...

Toasty

Established Member
Dano said:
Back in the '60s, I bought a new Motor Manual, to get specs, and instructions on repairing the components on my '57 Pontiac Chieftan. It helped me tremendously, because I had absolutely no experience on autos.

Well, in about 2002 / 2003, I bought a Haynes Repair Manual at Auto Clone, for about $23 or so. I had just bought a '95 Cobra, and new absolutely nothing about it, and it's components. I knew that I couldn't afford to take it to the shop or to a dealer everytime something went wrong. Even changing the plugs and wires, it gave me the recommended plug, the gap, and the cylinder numbers / distributor tower numbers, for locating the new wires.

I don't think I had come across SVT Performance yet, so the manual was all I had to go by. But,with the help of this Forum and the manual, everything started looking so much easier ...

Many of the posts here, are covered in detail, with photos. Troubleshooting, computer codes (what they mean, and suggestions on how to cure them), wiring schematics, general specs, torques, servicing, and much more.

I'll admit that on a couple of jobs, the instructions were not perfectly clear, and I had to re-read many paragraphs. Some of the jobs I did, and I admit that they are not all that complicated (but having a few tips, specs, and torques did really help), were replacing the rear springs, rear sway bar, all rotors & pads, radiator, hoses & belt, upper air plenum & valve covers, console, radio, CD, instrument cluster & bezel, seats, etc.

The manual cannot be replaced by second guessing, taking chances, or saying, "I'll just try it like this, and see what happens."

Most owners spend hundreds of dollars buying tires, wheels, gages, spoilers, hoods, "Cobra" bumpers ... well, you know what I mean, and then they don't spend the small amount of money for a repair manual - I just don't get it.

I'm searching "Craigslist" right now, for the repair manual. I let mine go (as with all cars I've had in the last 10 years) with the Cobra, when I sold it.

JMO, but let's read a good book ... it's very entertaining, enjoyable, and rewarding. Could mean the difference of some big dollars!

Either way, I'm still going to read all of the Threads and Replies, as I always have. Once in a great while, I may have something to add, from my experiences.

:beer: :pepper: :pepper::-D :read::-D :pepper: :pepper: :beer: :beer:

BTW, I'm not against asking for help! The worst question I can think of, is the one that isn't asked!

I asked for a lot of help and advice during my three years or so of ownership, but the manual is a great weapon to have when the Cobra starts getting sick ...

Amen to that. I was recently called 'shit toast' (dont ask me what that means) by a poster in another thread because I suggested that the OP buy a book and read up on spring rates and why they change when u cut them. I was accused of not knowing anything about cobra's other than what I had read in books. Funny. I recently ordered a few books off amazon on rebuilding 4.6L engines as I am planning a rebuild soon. Even if I dont do the assembly myself, being knowledgeable about subject puts me in a good position to a) guide my machine shop/installer to do 'tried and true' methods, and b) be in a position to sniff out bullshit.

Why is it the words of wisdom come from 'old' (38 here) guys like us Dano? ;-)

Last edited:

Toasty

Established Member
JohnsMyName said:
Been wanting to buy one. What is the best manuel to get (price, clearity, ect...) ?

I usually have a Haynes and a Chiltons around. Dano mentioned it in the OP, but sometimes the picutres and details arent clear in one book. I've found that sometimes it takes combining the instructions, details and pictures from two books make more sense.

Toasty

Established Member
Dano said:

BTW, buy the books and put em in the 'head' (aka bathroom). Whenever you go to take a dump, give the books a 5-10 minute read, you'd be amazed at how much info you can glean about your car this way. Taking a load off one end allows you to put info in the other I guess. lol.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I was recently called 'shit toast' by a poster in another thread because I suggested that the OP buy a book and read up on spring rates and why they change when u cut them. I was accused of not knowing anything about cobra's other than what I had read in books.

Chris, that really is a stupid thing to say about someone else. It really shows one's ignorance. After all, technical knowledge is damn near as good as practical skill. I don't think you'd see anything like that in here, not that severe anyway. LOL:-D

BTW, I do a lot of reading in the B/R:read: . It used to be computer and program manuals, then switched to Haynes, after Win XP came into being ... and we all know that MS doesn't give out manuals any longer.

Users who are viewing this thread