Let's keep this civilized. Is PS3 catching up to Xbox?

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
I was never really a Sony console fan. I didn't own a PS1 and only owned a PS2 briefly. I was always an xbox whore. Had the original since launch and the 360 since launch.

That said, I'm strongly considering buying a PS3. Until this point I found them very inferior but I think Sony is finally making a strong push. While they've lost a lot of exclusives, they still have some good titles (see: Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, Resistance, Socom, Killzone, MAG)

The Blu Ray is nice for my already cluttered entertainment center and it seems Sony has fixed a lot of their reliability issues whereas 360 has only gotten worse. My launch console lasted me 3 years and I've been through 5 more since then and their problems per 100 consoles is astronomical.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war. I still game on my 360 regularly and I don't have any serious complaints with it but after being on the Microsoft bandwagon for so long I think a PS3 would be a nice change of pace.

Am I delusional or is Sony finally getting their shit together?

(Again, PLEASE no spam bs. Let's keep this civil. If you make an argument, please support it with logic/reason/fact and NOT subjective brand-whore banter)

Last edited:

earl lee

Established Member
They've been outselling the 360 since it became $300. They reduce the stupid number of sku's they had down to 2, though they really only need one since you can upgrade the hd of the ps3.

Number wise, they are only trailing the 360 by about 5 million units worldwide. Rumor has it if they keep outselling the 360 m$ will do another price cut.

Oh and I own both, but after my 360 rrod, I stopped playing it once it game back from m$. I have issues with poorly built tech.

FordMustangLove

Lame-o
Established Member
Fanboys are a funny bunch, on either camp. Although they play the same games (your exclusive titles are nice but it doesn't warrant the fanboy fagness that comes from it) and to this day NOT one reputable mag or blog could prove which looks better they still talk shit..

-pc gamer community

Last edited:

Branigan77

Established Member
Everyone will always defend what console they have despite the facts sometimes. I guess it's a way of defending your initial decision and money spent. I think they are both good consoles, but the PS3 just looked like it had more potential. That and the blu-ray is what sold me to get it. I've been on board both companies since almost day 1. PS1, PS2, PS3, XBOX, XBOX360.

I think the initial selling price is the only reason microsoft got ahead. Now, everyone defends what they got like there is some sort of line drawn in the sand. :nonono:

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
I am in the same boat. I have played the 360 since it came out and have about 30 games for it. I sent the original one i had back 3 times then it was out of warranty. Went out bought an elite. I have sent the elite back 5 times ( Its gone now ) I got a PS3 for christmas from the woman. The only thing i don't like about the PS3 is the online play how it kicks you around finding hosts. I would be fine paying for the online like i do for live if it was better.

Branigan77

Established Member
The only thing i don't like about the PS3 is the online play how it kicks you around finding hosts. I would be fine paying for the online like i do for live if it was better.

I thought that had more to do with the game manufacturer...I.E. - Infinity Ward uses host servers for MW2, and MAG has Sony dedicated servers.

nitemarestang

Bush Wookie
Established Member
I have both, prity much only play the 360. Prob cause the online is better and i like the controller more. PS3 i use more for blu-ray and the few games that are exclusive to it. But i don't see them catching up till around the time the next systems starting making a showing. But time will tell. Besides prob a lot more people merely get it for the blu-ray player. :shrug:

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
The question you are asking is a paradox in itself, lol, since you are assuming that in fact the ps3 IS 'behind' the xbox. Also, what are you referring to when you say 'behind'?

But based on your own wording I'd say you already answered your own question.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
PS3 has the Blu-Ray edge, plus a decent line-up of games, and it's a reliable system.

They also don't have a 50% failure rate like a certain other console. People don't seem to care about that though. Forza 3 is the shit! :rockon:

ModularFan

Established Member
I own, all the system's actually, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox and 360. I have the first gen PS3, its awesome, haven't played it that much since my brother has it up at school. 360 is fun as well, My Live subscription just ended this month actually, don't know if Ill renew due to the fact I am in school. My new laptop is a bad enough distraction as it is.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I own both and until recently preferred the X360 to the PS3. However my x360 just shit the bed, so I have a copy of Mass Effect 2 sitting on the coffee table un-played! I am debating trying to repair the RROD myself, or just head over to gamestop and pickup an arcade version/refurb, slap in my old drive. In the interim I have been playing my PS3 a lot and I am liking it more. I primarily used it for Blu-Ray, well until the X360 RROD..

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i have had both. 360 was a good system. got tired of fixing it. plus it cant do 1/4 of what a PS3 can do...i am still learning new things multimedia wise...

hell just a few months ago, i didnt know you could connect your ps3 to your laptop wirelessly. i can watch movies, vids and play music, look at pics through the ps3 from my laptop while it is upstairs in the bedroom. it is a multimedia center piece that compliments a good entertainment center.

xbox exclusive games is not a good reason to say its better.

another thing ill add is, i work directly with a division of microsoft that manufactures, produces and replicates xbox games and consoles...hearing them not give a **** and talk **** about their own products is a big turn off. they are fully aware of the xbox issues and why they dont permenantly just fix the issues is a mystery. in the testing room, they are always having to switch out a console it seems because of the RROD.

i hate working for a company that i dont believe in. but, they are paying my bills so..

Last edited:

Branigan77

Established Member
I've also got an original PS3 (not the slim) and haven't had any problems yet.

XBOX release date: Nov 06 - As of Jan 2010, 39 million units sold

PS3 release date: Nov 07 - As of Dec 31 2009, 33.5 million units sold

Not too bad considering PS3 has been substantially more expensive for majority of it's life. (Not including the PS3 is 1 year behind in sales)

The only game I have a problem with online is COD:MW2. It lags, but it's the only game I have had problems on the PSN.

moot09

Established Member
I have a 360 and my brother has a ps3. Both are good systems, but the blue-ray on the ps3 is a big plus. 360 seems to have more decent games coming out than the ps3.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
the xbox fan boys like to point out about how many units are sold...but stop and think why? if sony owners had to buy 2 or even 3 within several years of each other like xbox owners, that number would be much much higher. consider the average xbox fanboy and how many times you hear " i am on my 2nd or 3rd " console "

it doesnt favor your argument to brag about how many units are sold. it makes you look like an idiot. microsoft loves you.

im sure if a mod on your car kept breaking down, you wouldnt keep buying it.

Jroc

Established Member
I have a PS3 and I love it to death. I also was given a Wii for Christmas and its pretty fun, but I enjoy the PS3 much more. Its a much more capable machine, and its funner to play on solo than the Wii is.(the Wii is fun to play with other people)

Even though I love my PS3 I wouldn't mind getting a 360 to have also.(infact I would really like one) They seem to have a very nice game selection. Personally I'm not really into online gaming because it seems alot of people on it like to act stupid, and/or start talking shit over their walky talky ear piece things. I don't like all that. I also don't like online gaming when I'm trying to learn how to play a game because then your messing up alot. Still I downloaded the demo to the upcoming "Battlefield: Bad Company 2" and it was very fun even though I was getting my ass kicked. lol

Users who are viewing this thread