Lets get coated !

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I was really on the fence about which direction to go with heat management on the car since I'm doing twin turbo. So I settled on having all the goodies ceramic coated. Came out good and would recommend the same treatment for others looking to keep the heat down in the engine bay. I may still run turbo blankets but haven't quite decided yet.

image.jpg

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
I sure hope you didn't have the inside of those turbine housing coated? Especially where the turbine wheel contour is critically close to the inside contour of the turbine housing.

If so, it could compromise the turbine wheel to turbine housing clearances. IE: Turbine wheel could come into contact with the housing at speed = destruction / out of balance condition. 100k rpm spinning turbine wheel hitting cast iron turbine housing. If that happens, PTE will not warrant the turbos. Especially knowing you coated the turbine housings and not them.
I know, I worked for them for 8 years as a Territory Sales Representative.

Make triple sure after you bolt the turbine housings back on, to check for any rubbing or touching down by pulling the wheel closer to the housing while rotating the assembly. Don't just slap them back together and install the kit, fire it up and go bonkers with the loud pedal. :nonono:

All rotating assemblies have side to side lateral movement when in operation. Both journal bearing and ceramic dual ball bearing chras. These clearances are critical to maintaining a long & trouble free life of the rotating assembly.

Basic picture used to illustrate the spots mentioned above. It does not represent your actual PTE v-band/v-band style turbine housings used on your turbos.
03TurbochargerCutaway.jpg

Just looking out for you.

Patrick

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
^ Yea I sent all my stuff minus the housing to swaintech for the white lightning coating. Im going to run blankets for the housings. But I like your coating op. Ill be painting mines black once I get them back.

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I sure hope you didn't have the inside of those turbine housing coated? Especially where the turbine wheel contour is critically close to the inside contour of the turbine housing.

If so, it could compromise the turbine wheel to turbine housing clearances. IE: Turbine wheel could come into contact with the housing at speed = destruction / out of balance condition. 100k rpm spinning turbine wheel hitting cast iron turbine housing. If that happens, PTE will not warrant the turbos. Especially knowing you coated the turbine housings and not them.
I know, I worked for them for 8 years as a Territory Sales Representative.

Make triple sure after you bolt the turbine housings back on, to check for any rubbing or touching down by pulling the wheel closer to the housing while rotating the assembly. Don't just slap them back together and install the kit, fire it up and go bonkers with the loud pedal. :nonono:

All rotating assemblies have side to side lateral movement when in operation. Both journal bearing and ceramic dual ball bearing chras. These clearances are critical to maintaining a long & trouble free life of the rotating assembly.

Basic picture used to illustrate the spots mentioned above. It does not represent your actual PTE v-band/v-band style turbine housings used on your turbos.

Just looking out for you.

Patrick

Patrick,

Thanks but I made absolutely sure that he did not coat the inside at all. Due to the reasons you've mentioned. But I did want the housings coated for added heat protection.

Josh

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF MANY SECRETS
Established Member
Good deal.

Oh I completely understand about coatings with heat control and rust prevention. Not to mention curb appeal.
Absolutely a must do with turbos.

Definitely keep us posted with pics and updates.
It's looking good so far.
:rockon:

kingnut

Established Member
Ceramic coating > braided wrapping. Better "show car" curb appeal. I wonder how it compares in performance for under hood temps?

My guess is header wrap would keep temps down better. But I would like to see some independent tests done.

D.T.R

Established Member
I will be getting mine coated as well. I did it on my honda, and the under-hood temps improved.

Users who are viewing this thread