Lethal xpipe leaking

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Installed the xpipe and have a nasty sounding leak under load. Can't hear it under the car. Can't feel any joints leaking either. Dropped pipe down and ultra copper rtv sealed the flanges to manifolds, but no change. next step is to have my dad rev it while I'm under the car trying to isolate the leak. Any ideas?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My mind is rambling...

How long was the pipe installed on the car before it started leaking? Short of some sort of underbody impact, the tubing and/or the fasteners used at the head pipe/exhaust manifold don't normally relax. In other words, if the pipes were contoured correctly by Lethal's exhaust fabricator (via the swaged ball joint) and the four manifold studs were tightened properly, it shouldn't 'start' leaking there well after a successful installation.

Can't hear it inder the car but you can from above the fenderline?

Can you hear a 'popping' on decel after revving anywhere other than the tailpipe exit?

On edit...more rambling...the exhaust is only held up at two points. The manifolds themselves and at the mufflers. Ford eliminated the hangers at the transmission crossmember in ~'08. If the manifold nuts weren't tightened enough, I could see downward inertia (ie, a quick full compression cycle or cycles) of the system between those two attachment points effectively pulling down a small amount and allowing slight rotation at the manifold. If the Lethal pipe didn't have an adequate (or generous) flare, there could indeed be gases seeping out at that point...

Last edited:

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
It's leaked since I installed it last week. I thought it was because I had the middle pipe clamps tight before doing the manifold bolts. I loosened everything up, put rtv on the manifold flanges and tightend those up first. Still leaks. I can't hear under the car at idle, but when there is load on the engine I hear it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Since installation? Did you check the X-pipe flanges thoroughly for a consistent swage or radius prior to install? If the shipping company got "aggressive" with the packaging box...maybe you had a tweaked flange that doesn't seat perfectly on the ball of the manifold?

Double check the clamps at the end of the X-pipe and ensure that you have everything seated fully and split between the fore and aft sections of pipe.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
not sure on the lethal 2012 model xpipe, but my 2010 had 2 adaptors you had to drop into the flanges. You might not have those in? Did you buy it new from them or used?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Is this the pipe you are using??

LethalPics067.jpg

LethalPics075.jpg

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I actually had too ship back a Lethal off road X pipe because the passenger side flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold had a very slight imperfection from the factory that would not allow for a clean fit. Significant leak, sounded bad. Lethal was great about it and sent me a new one. Going to install this weekend.

Last edited:

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I put some ultra copper rtv on the tail ends of the x pipe where the slip collar clamps go. I was under the car with my dad plugging the tailpipes andi can detect any leakage. On the road I still hear a tinny/tingly sound, but I'm thinking that's just the sound of the pipe and not a leak.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I absolutely hate the design of the pipe. The way it's shipped in 2 pieces and adds an extra joint on the driver side. This was the cause of a leak for me. When i take the cats off again (had to go through emissions), i will be jigging it up, then welding the joint and cutting off the slip joint flanges.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
I hate to bring a dead thread back to life, but I was reading here and noticed that 2010Shelby said there were 2 adapters that came with the lethal pipe.

I have a 2009 and my kit came with those but i quickly cast them aside...

Were those necessary to my installation? I would have kept them if there was some sort of note telling me I needed them.

Thanks guys!

bull3441

Established Member
I junked mine after a few weeks. The manifold flanges are garbage and bend easily. My cats blew the first day I had it on the car. In my opinion the Stainless Works Xpipe is the best I've seen. The flanges are 3/8 thick, a real nice piece. Van sells them.

Last edited:

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I actually had too ship back a Lethal off road X pipe because the passenger side flange that bolts to the exhaust manifold had a very slight imperfection from the factory that would not allow for a clean fit. Significant leak, sounded bad. Lethal was great about it and sent me a new one. Going to install this weekend.

Any chance that you have a video of your exhaust setup? I am thinking of changing mine to o/r x and magnaflows. I had that on my 04 Cobra and loved it!

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Any chance that you have a video of your exhaust setup? I am thinking of changing mine to o/r x and magnaflows. I had that on my 04 Cobra and loved it!
I do not. I actually had to take it off to get emission inspected and have yet to re-install. To be honest, I think there are better sounding GT500 exhaust combos beside the Magnaflow/off road X setup. Sounds good at idle and lower RPM's, but not great with any acceleration IMO. I may eventually try an H pipe or a high flow catted setup.

Sorry to derail the thread.....

sedanman

Established Member
My lethal is on and works great, for the money it rocks. I like the sound with the stock mufflers but have been thinking of changing the mufflers for more sound.

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
I hate to bring a dead thread back to life, but I was reading here and noticed that 2010Shelby said there were 2 adapters that came with the lethal pipe.

I have a 2009 and my kit came with those but i quickly cast them aside...

Were those necessary to my installation? I would have kept them if there was some sort of note telling me I needed them.

Thanks guys!

Does anyone know if these adapters are supposed to be used on an 09?

Steve@BAS

Established Member
Last edited:

TurboPh1sh

Established Member
I know I needed them in my 2010, and in this how to for a 2007 he needed them, so I would say 99% positive you needed them.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-279/603208-lethal-performance-x-pipe.html

Edit : that how to only mentions the drivers side flange adapter to be placed in, but you do both sides.

Thanks For the info. Its weird that they include those.. why don't they just widen the mouths to begin with? Is there a reason to go with separate inserted pieces? are thes universal fit for the 05-10 GTs and the inserts make it work with GT500??

Users who are viewing this thread