Lethal O/R X-pipe Installed (Vids inside)

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
I installed my Lethal O/R X-pipe and John Lund Custom tune from Lethal Performance this morning. Here are a couple of vids, was a little wind noise going on but you get the idea. This combo is supposed to pick you up about 65RWHP over stock. X-pipe install is pretty strait foreward, I did it on ramps in my garage by myself in around 2 hours, breaking for lunch and chasis cleaning. If I had a lift it would have been 45 minutes tops. Sound is very agressive under throttle but at idle and while cruising can be almost as docile as stock. If you are a fan of the raspy sound go for this, you will love it. I may add a set of Stingers to the mix later, as I want a little more noise at idle. I had the O/R X and Stinger combo on my Terminator and loved it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEy0KzzPX_s"]YouTube- Lethal O/R X-pipe 2010 Shelby GT500[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxqeGTb7mM"]YouTube- Lethal OR X-pipe Fly By.wmv[/ame]

Last edited:

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Sounds nice, stock mufflers still correct?

Yep stock mufflers, I was sceptical about running with the stock catback and a O/R X, but Jared convinced me. I had a O/R Basaini on my stock Bullitt mufflers back in 01 and it sounded like crap. I think the key to getting a decent sound with a X-pipe is maximum amount of flow. And the 10 stock mufflers seem to flow pretty well.

GatorSnake

Bite First Bark Later
Established Member
Sounds really good!

I also have a set that I will be installing as soon as I get the O2 wideband bung welded in.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Do you need a tune to run this?

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member

You could technically run the O/R pipe with no tune, but there is one significant problem, removing your cats will send a fault to your ECU, and you will get a CEL light, not good on a brand new car. The way to go is the custom tune with the X-pipe, for one the custom tune alone will give you around 50RWHP and the tune will shut off the rear o2 sensors completely, then the additon of the x-pipe gives you another 14 or so more HP. Call Jared at Lethal and he will explain it all to you.

Not a bad first round of mods, these cars respond awesome to mods, thats a understatement.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

If you have a tune on the car already for an intake or pulley you most likely don't need another tune for the offroad pipe as most tuners turn off the rear 02's and the COT's (Catalytic Overtemp Protection)feature on all of their tunes. If you have a performance tune and are unsure if those 2 features are turned off in the tune just give your tuner a call and ask them. If they say that both features are off then you can run the pipe with no other changes needed to the tune. If the features are not already turned off then you'll need them to do so in order to fully benefit from going cattless and keep from throwing check engine codes. The Catalytic Overtemp Protection feature is what the stock tune does to protect the cats from overheating. It basically richens up the A/F by throwing fuel in which cools the cats. Since you're not going to be running cats anymore with the offroad pipe you want that feature turned off. If not you won't get the full benefit of the offroad pipe as the tune will richen up in the high RPM range as the car still thinks it has cats to protect.

Hope that helps.

Jared

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
If you have a tune on the car already for an intake or pulley you most likely don't need another tune for the offroad pipe as most tuners turn off the rear 02's and the COT's (Catalytic Overtemp Protection)feature on all of their tunes. If you have a performance tune and are unsure if those 2 features are turned off in the tune just give your tuner a call and ask them. If they say that both features are off then you can run the pipe with no other changes needed to the tune. If the features are not already turned off then you'll need them to do so in order to fully benefit from going cattless and keep from throwing check engine codes. The Catalytic Overtemp Protection feature is what the stock tune does to protect the cats from overheating. It basically richens up the A/F by throwing fuel in which cools the cats. Since you're not going to be running cats anymore with the offroad pipe you want that feature turned off. If not you won't get the full benefit of the offroad pipe as the tune will richen up in the high RPM range as the car still thinks it has cats to protect.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Re: The Catalytic Overtemp Protection

Wow-I learn something new everyday!:beer:

Bravo gt 500

TVS POWERED
Established Member

Hope that helps.

Jared

Do you know if the frpp Pro-Cal tune has the O2's turned off? Or will I need a new tune with the O/R X & Pro-Cal
Thanks

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
15-2K drone?

LOL, maybe a little, (not bad at all) but to be honest, my car stays at the other end of the Tach in normal driving, I have a bad, bad habit of taching that baby out, I like to here that mod motor rev:banana:

I hear ya, Its hard not to get on the Shelby and hear her rev!

But I was really refering to a long road trip settin in 6th cruisin. (ill proably wont notice cause Ill have my Lynyrd Skynyrd crankin)

Thanks for posting as you helped me make my decision on which way to go,
Axle Backs or Just Mid Pipe or both.

BTW Did u like the JLT cause of the Carbon Fiber? over the C&L? CAI

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
I hear ya, Its hard not to get on the Shelby and hear her rev!

But I was really refering to a long road trip settin in 6th cruisin. (ill proably wont notice cause Ill have my Lynyrd Skynyrd crankin)

Thanks for posting as you helped me make my decision on which way to go,
Axle Backs or Just Mid Pipe or both.

BTW Did u like the JLT cause of the Carbon Fiber? over the C&L? CAI

I probably will never have the GT500 on a trip or anything to be honest, but I did take it out last night on the higway to check about any drone issues, and it is actually not bad at all, cruising along at 60mph in 6th gear you can hardly hear the car, even gassing it in 6th like that I expected some serious drone and chugging, but nothing bad at all.
About the CAI, I only wanted to replace the resonator tube and it was either JLT's piece or the FRPP, and the Carbon is way trick and looks classy.

I think I have pretty much decided to add some Borla Stinger Axlebacks to the equation down the line though. I really believe you need a tru straig though muffler for a X-pipe to sound the best.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I think I have pretty much decided to add some Borla Stinger Axlebacks to the equation down the line though. I really believe you need a tru straig though muffler for a X-pipe to sound the best.[/QUOTE said:
Stingers will make it much louder. I had KR's on mine when I switched to the off-road x and it was pretty obnoxious. I switched back to the stockers.

Users who are viewing this thread