Let me see your nitrous setups!!!!

h4cHi

Established Member
Chris over at BBR is setting me up with a plate kit for my 5.0 and before I do my install I wanted some collective input on how others have theirs set up. I've seen a few with those who have their bottles inside the cabin with a seat delete and would like some creative input before I dive into this project. Thanks in advance

5lho

Established Member
Chris over at BBR is setting me up with a plate kit for my 5.0 and before I do my install I wanted some collective input on how others have theirs set up. I've seen a few with those who have their bottles inside the cabin with a seat delete and would like some creative input before I dive into this project. Thanks in advance

Mine's completely stealth. Mounted sideways in the back of the spare tire opening, under the floor. I've done sideways mounts before with nitrous and encountered no issues. I've done cabin mounts too but, make sure you run a blowdown tube if you do that. If you go cabin, a vertical mount is best, if possible. The sideways in the well is was the only way to get the bottle close to tuckable under the floor. As for the rest, nothing to show, every wire and line is covered in split loom and the plate is invisible under the engine cover.

I'm setting 100, as that should blow through the cage limit at my local track but not so bad that I'll get booted. I did 11.9 on my last Mustang on just a tune and slicks so, I expect this setup will do low 11s easy. 10s would likely draw fire from the officials but, hey, I'll make them work for it if they want to find something.

h4cHi

Established Member
I'm really looking for those creative in cabin setups like with subs on each side of the bottle on a seat delete i saw a few the other night on here but I can't seem to find them :\ now as far as the blowdown tube what exactly do you mean where do I need to run that to?

5lho

Established Member
I'm really looking for those creative in cabin setups like with subs on each side of the bottle on a seat delete i saw a few the other night on here but I can't seem to find them :\ now as far as the blowdown tube what exactly do you mean where do I need to run that to?

The blowdown tube attaches to the bottle where the burst disc is and if the bottle vents to atmo it will direct narcotic nitrous outside the vehicle. Somthinto keep in mind is this isn't Street Outlaws. If you have a bottle in the cabin, you'll fail tech at a lot of sanctioned tracks because the rules state, you must have a firewall between the bottle and the driver.

BBR offers email tunes. Honestly, I'd go with a custom dyno tune on any shot bigger than 100. Nitrous is dead easy to tune for so, I don't really see an issue with an email tune at that shot level or below. Anyone who can point me to issues with BBR at 100 or less and I'm all ears; I can't find any.

cjd223

Established Member
You nitrous guys had better stock up. It will be going the way of freon 12 and 22. The EPA has it in their sights. BTW don't get caught in MS with nitrous on the street. You will go to jail.

h4cHi

Established Member
The blowdown tube attaches to the bottle where the burst disc is and if the bottle vents to atmo it will direct narcotic nitrous outside the vehicle. Somthinto keep in mind is this isn't Street Outlaws. If you have a bottle in the cabin, you'll fail tech at a lot of sanctioned tracks because the rules state, you must have a firewall between the bottle and the driver.

BBR offers email tunes. Honestly, I'd go with a custom dyno tune on any shot bigger than 100. Nitrous is dead easy to tune for so, I don't really see an issue with an email tune at that shot level or below. Anyone who can point me to issues with BBR at 100 or less and I'm all ears; I can't find any.

I had no idea I just saw some really nice setups that were done in cabin and looked really sharp thanks for the heads up

h4cHi

Established Member
If it's that easy to tune for what's the issue with a 150 opposed to a 100? I'm not trying to be combative I know nothing about this just trying to gain some knowledge

5lho

Established Member
If it's that easy to tune for what's the issue with a 150 opposed to a 100? I'm not trying to be combative I know nothing about this just trying to gain some knowledge

It's relatively easy because it's only WOT tuning. the higher the shot the more important the cylinder distribution is. Plates are better than nozzles but, 150 is a fairly high shot that needs supporting changes like cold plugs and maybe a boost a pump to be safe. It needs a good tune specific to the car, the gas available and environmental conditions as well. Nitrous strains rotating assemblies quite hard, don't forget that. They don't call it torque in a bottle for nothing. Remember this isn't an 87 MGT with maybe 190 to the tire factory on an engine that has enough basic strength to support easily double that power on the stock rotating assembly. This engine is fairly highly tuned from the factory and thus the margin for error is a lot narrower.

h4cHi

Established Member
It's relatively easy because it's only WOT tuning. the higher the shot the more important the cylinder distribution is. Plates are better than nozzles but, 150 is a fairly high shot that needs supporting changes like cold plugs and maybe a boost a pump to be safe. It needs a good tune specific to the car, the gas available and environmental conditions as well. Nitrous strains rotating assemblies quite hard, don't forget that. They don't call it torque in a bottle for nothing. Remember this isn't an 87 MGT with maybe 190 to the tire factory on an engine that has enough basic strength to support easily double that power on the stock rotating assembly. This engine is fairly highly tuned from the factory and thus the margin for error is a lot narrower.
Yeah I have the plugs ordered and every safety feature except for a window switch I'm an m6 so idk how it's all gonna work out this is a whole new playground for me

5lho

Established Member
Yeah I have the plugs ordered and every safety feature except for a window switch I'm an m6 so idk how it's all gonna work out this is a whole new playground for me

Nitrous is great on high compression motors, as long as you are careful. With an MT, you definitely want all the safety stuff. A missed shift, rev limiter hit can be disastrous. I'm on auto so, less of a concern.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
A friend of mine has been running a 125 shot for about a year maybe longer with timing at 18*, WOT AFR set at .79, on pump 93, and colder plugs. Probably had close to 10 bottles through it so far with no issues to date.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
You nitrous guys had better stock up. It will be going the way of freon 12 and 22. The EPA has it in their sights. BTW don't get caught in MS with nitrous on the street. You will go to jail.

I'm betting you left out a lot of details pertaining to getting caught with Nitrous on the street... Otherwise how else does one transport it???

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
nothing to see here 20150418_210916[1].jpg Had 100 shot jets before the blower and made 565whp for a year. Then a 50 shot with the blower on stock motor 700whp sprayed a few times.
Just put a new motor

5lho

Established Member
Perhaps nobody can , but why would you set the bar so low for your tuner?

I asked for 100. 100's great for me. Economical on nitrous use, way more than enough to get me thrown off the track for no cage, if they get tense. I have a tendency to be one of those guys who gets more than expected out of a particular combination so, I don't need to throw 150+, with all the attendant other hassles, to get good times. At least that's what my experience tells me.

Nitrous is legal where I am on the road but, I'm not buying it for that anyway. I just want a little jump at the dragstrip. I put my last 5.0 in the 11s on a tune and tire so, I definitely want to match that with my current car n/a, then spray.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread