Lesson for Little Brother, Mad Props to all LEO's

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
Kinda long bare with me here, but taught a valuable lesson to my little brother who is 20.

Ok I came off an exit ramp yesterday at about 70 mph, checked traffic as I was coming off and it was clear. Went from far right lane, all the way over to far left with signal on. Dark out was 8pm. About half mile down this unmarked gets right on my @$$ so close I can't see his front lights. I pull over, get registration and license ready, hands on wheel. I told bro later why I had both hands on wheel, to basically show the officer I had no "evil" intentions.

Officer asked if he knew why I was pulled over. I said, "I think speeding." I asked how fast, he said, "Why don't you tell me." I said, " I looked down when lights came on and I was doing 66." Well that is not why I pulled you over. CRAP, guilty by admission, but ok. He said, "You can't change lanes radically like that without checking mirrors, and you were following too close to car in front of you. Did you see how close I was to you? You were about that close to the car in front of you." I didn't think I was but I just nodded, and said yes-sir.

He took license and registration back to vehicle to run me through system. My little brother pipes up, "Man what an @$$hole." I said, "No he's just doing his job, chill out." He said, "I would have been a dickhead to him." I reply, "No you don't and watch why." At this point I was hoping all my yes-sirs and no-sirs had paid off, and me being respectful, cuz I wanted to prove a point. I knew I hadn't been pulled over for anything in like 2 years.

Officer comes back. Well sir, I am only going to give you a verbal warning, but I could have given you about $450 dollars in tickets. I scream in my head, "Oh thank god". Please watch your speed, check mirrors, and give people a little more room when behind them(ie. speeding, reckless driving, erratic lane changing). I thanked him and was on my way.

I looked over at bro and said, "THAT is why you be respectful and let them do their job. If I had been a "dickhead" I would have gotten those tickets." Needless to say he has a whole new light on the subject and you LEO's will have another mindful driver out there. :thumbsup:

Mad props to all of you doing your job, I know it's rough out there and I do my best as well to do the best I can at being courteous. But it was a bonus to teach little brother something too, and the cop was cool about it. Thank you.

Mike

Lawman85

Banned
Awesome post.... I'm glad your brother got to see the difference between respectful and "d!ckhead".

Let me ask a question of you Wildpony 2 without trying to sound like an ass or start a war. What if you had gotten the citations after being courteous and respectful, would your attitude have changed? This isn't something I'm trying to bash anyone on but it is just a "thinking" question.

RunninRed

I'm Your Huckleberry
Established Member
I know the question was not directed towards me...but I have NEVER gotten out of anything I've ever been pulled over for. No matter how nice and respectful I was to the officer. That being said I hold no ill will, and I understand they are just doing their job. My point is it's never helped me by being nice and respectful. Who knows though, maybe next time.

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
Yes, it then would have been a lesson to watch what you are doing more carefully, Lane changing, speed etc. And a lesson to the pocketbook, lol.

Lawman85

Banned
Cool. I have just seen too many people say "Oh this cop was cool cause he left me off of a ticket and this cop was an ass because he gave me a ticket". Some people just don't realize that we are just doing our jobs, whether we write the citation or not, and it isn't anything personal against them. There are days I have taken people to jail and really felt bad for them, but, I still had to do the job I swore to do.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
but sometimes you arent gonna get out of a ticket no matter how nice you were. i mean if a cop gets you doing like 80+ in like a 65 zone more than likely its not something he can over look and will ticket you anyway. if its something small like maybe 70 or a little over maybe he'd overlook it.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
TurdFerguson said:
but sometimes you arent gonna get out of a ticket no matter how nice you were. i mean if a cop gets you doing like 80+ in like a 65 zone more than likely its not something he can over look and will ticket you anyway. if its something small like maybe 70 or a little over maybe he'd overlook it.
My response exactly. Good answer :D

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
I wouldn't hold a grudge against an officer merely for writing a ticket. If he had a bad attitude (and I have met some with very bad attitudes!) then I would hold a grudge.

black01mustang

a new z06 will be mine
Established Member
I always try to be nice and courteous. The other day I got my first ticket and I was nice but still got it. I guess what I am trying to say is that I only got mad at myself not the cop it's not his fault I was speeding

Wildpony_2

Oh Really......
Established Member
Yeah, it could have swung anyway really, I was just trying to prove a point about my bro's "attitude" towards police officers, and in this instance it worked out. Apparently he already had a negative perception about LEO's, and I was trying to make a point about it. There was more talking we had done about the situation that I didn't want to bore you all to death with. Obviously I was in the wrong for speeding etc. and we talked about that and more. Just simple fact, chill out don't get lippy with them, and be respectful, you'd be surprised how much civility can take you.

cobracory

Established Member
Good job in teaching your bro.

I was pulled over last September - on the way back from, my one and only time at, the dragstrip - for not having a front license plate.

I kept my hands on the steering wheel until the Officer came to my window, when he asked for my paperwork, I told him I was opening the centre console for my wallet etc... I was really polite - this was my first time ever being pulled over - and nervous like crazy, my palms were sweating too. :)

I gave him the paperwork and he told me why he pulled me over.
When he said he pulled me over for no front plate, I even used the story I would use if I got pulled over - new front bumper and no brackets in stock to mount it. The ironic thing is, I always have the plate in the sunvisor - but since I came back from the track, I took it off and lost the elastics that held it in place. The Officer even caught me in my lie. :nono:
He had my registration and noticed it said August 2003 (when I got the personalized plate), and he saw the plate on the floor and asked to see it. Brand new squeaky clean plate - he says "come on, this plate has never been on the front of your car". I couldn't lie any more.

So said he'll be back in a few after checking me out etc... he had already asked if I had troubles in the past and I said this was my first time being pulled over for anything. Needless to say, after the longest two minutes in my life, he came back and gave me a verbal warning and told me to get it mounted cuz next time he will ticket me.

I still believe if I was anything but polite, he would have given me a ticket - but he said cuz it was my first time he was giving me a warning.

Users who are viewing this thread