Less clunk with 14mm bolts(pics)

wlg101190

Established Member
How the hell do you guys break the original nut loose, or did you loosen the bolt head? What size wrench / ratchet, etc.? Thanks! Also, are the washers necessary?

hotcobra03

Established Member
nut/bolt

from what i was taught...always tighten the nut to the bolt..hold bolt head tight,,,,,and yes to washer if not like stock bolts that have it built in to the nut or bolt,,,it not it will dig into the bracket and most likely loosen on you

so than i would say loosen the nut first,,,if its too tight you can use a double wrench

thats the box end of another wrench hooked on the open end of the wrench your using,,,,but use caution wrenches do snap.

look at the bolt choices..the one with the longer shoulder is the best,,but might cost more,,

ive done alot of frame shorten and lenghtening on tractor trailers with up to 3 frame rails thick...we prefer steel lock nuts over elastic,,not saying thiers anything wrong with elastic nut,,:beer:

03SBGT

Established Member
Guys 14mm is still too small. The correct size to use is 9/16". Been running them for 6 years in many different IRS cars. I have a complete write up on it in the suspension section.

Thanks for the all the good info in your other post on this page, did not want to quote it, due to its size.

Could you please post a link to your thread in the suspension section. I did some searching for it with no luck. I tried a couple of diff search parameters but could not find. Thanks.

I would like to be able to reference it, when I end up replacing my very likely 12mm front IRS bolts.

Edit- Nevermind, found it.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/331799-12mm-vs-14mm-vs-9-16-a.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread