LEOS.. What would you do?

DC97Cobra

Established Member
A few nights ago I was driving down a four lane highway just cruising aimlessly. Speed limit on the road was 45mph. I was floating between 45 and 50mph. I pull up to a stop light and a Mustang GT pulls up next to me. Light turned green and we drive off normally. Stopped at another light and the same thing.

We drive a ways down this road and get to an area that has barrier on each side. There is an officer right behind me and has been there for quite a while. His radar was not on or in a passive mode (I'm running a radar detector) but guessing that he was at least pacing me if he was monitoring speed. I'm guessing that the GT didn't notice that the officer was behind me and decides that he wants to play. He lines up next to me, looks over at me and guns the GT a couple times. This happens a few times and i just stay steady at my speed until he leaves me alone.

after a few miles, we get to the next light. I stay in my lane(right lane) and the GT moves into the left turn lane. The officer then goes to the left lane right behind the GT. The officer looks over at me and I look back, smile and wave. The turn left and I keep going straight.

K.. Here's is my question and curiosity as to what you would do if the situation was changed slightly...

Lets say you are the officer behind me watching all of this going on. Instead of me just staying steady, I egg the GT on by downshifting from 5th to 3rd and honking three times. I however stay steady in my speed of 45-50mph and assume that the GT jumps thinking that I am going to race. What would your thoughts be and how would you react?

Reason why I'm asking is because I thought about doing this that night but instead stayed steady in speed. Curiousity got the best of me as well.

mkb116

Established Member
That would be incredibly stupid. Your putting yourself in risk of getting a ticket. Also, had he crashed and hurt himself or someone else... Say hello to felony charges!

Additionally, why would you try and sell someone out like that to the po-po, unless they deserved it? From what it sounds like, this guy wasn't doing anything you wouldn't do had the police not been behind you. Thats a real dick thing to do.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
That would be incredibly stupid. Your putting yourself in risk of getting a ticket. Also, had he crashed and hurt himself or someone else... Say hello to felony charges!

Additionally, why would you try and sell someone out like that to the po-po, unless they deserved it? From what it sounds like, this guy wasn't doing anything you wouldn't do had the police not been behind you. Thats a real dick thing to do.

Your right, I would have been a dick if I did do that but I didn't. The thought did run across my mind though and curiosity has me as to how a leo would react.

I personally don't think I would get a ticket for shifting into a different gear and honking my horn if I did not respond by speeding up or doing anything else that would be reckless. If the GT owner took off and wrecked, that is all on him for acting stupid and assuming that I was going to race. Would it be any different if I did that in, lets say, a Toyota Yaris?

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
My suggestion would be for you to conduct a few experiments on your own. Just repeat the scenario, substituting your previous actions with your hypothetical situation. Let us know how it works out.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread