LEOs, what is your department policy on illegal immigrants?

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
3,281
Location
~
A local county Sheriff has been blasting the Feds on immigration. He says they are basically hanging local law enforcement out to dry when it comes to illegal immigrants...because the Feds refuse to enforce existing immigration laws. He said if his department arrests a bunch of illegals and turns them over to ICE (Immigration and customs Enforcement), they are just released back out onto the street.

So if you pull over a carload of illegal immigrants today, what happens to them? :shrug:
 
Last edited:

jshen

Well-Known Member
Established Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2003
Messages
3,685
Location
GA
Pretty much the same here. ICE doesn't care unless the illegal commits a felony, then they get involved. Thank you Mr. Bush for inundating us with illegals...and I'm republican too!
 

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
2,036
Location
Texas Hill Country
Top_Fuel said:
A local county Sherriff has been blasting the Feds on immigration. He says they are basically hanging local law enforcement out to dry when it comes to illegal immigrants...because the Feds refuse to enforce existing immigration laws. He said if his department arrests a bunch of illegals and turns them over to ICE (Immigration and customs Enforcement), they are just released back out onto the street.

So if you pull over a carload of illegal immigrants today, what happens to them? :shrug:
I'd say that is a pretty good assumption through out the US. It is really a big joke and the immigrants know it is. Look at Dallas, Texas with all the births. The hospitals can't even pay there bills so they are turning to the local tax payers to pay up or else.
We State Police cannot enforce Federal Law, so all we do is look the other way. Our hands are tied. If I offended any one I apologize, but I tell it like it is.
 
Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
3,281
Location
~
Iceman II said:
We State Police cannot enforce Federal Law...
I think this guy said the same thing...but I thought I was hearing him wrong. That sounds insane! :dw:

Here's an article about him. This guy is very unpopular in the hispanic community...but he has the overwhelming support of the community :thumbsup:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5478989
 

kcast

LEO
Established Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
367
Location
MB, SC
jshen said:
Pretty much the same here. ICE doesn't care unless the illegal commits a felony, then they get involved. Thank you Mr. Bush for inundating us with illegals...and I'm republican too!
pretty much the same here, unless they've commited a felony then they could care less
 

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2001
Messages
27,759
Location
West Florida
kcast said:
pretty much the same here, unless they've commited a felony then they could care less

Not care less, just following the rules we are stuck with!! An illegal that is just present in the county and is not a felon or a convicted criminal does NOT belong to ICE!!!

Someone present in the country WOI (without inspection) is the concern of the United States Border Partol.
 

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
3,281
Location
~
FordSVTFan said:
An illegal that is just present in the county and is not a felon or a convicted criminal does NOT belong to ICE!!!
Uhhh...why is the organization called IMMIGRATION and Customs ENFORCEMENT?
Exactly what immigration enforcement duty does ICE perform? :shrug:

If someone violated immigration laws getting here, but they aren't a felon...then they're only a criminal in the eyes of the Border Patrol? :dw:


About ICE:

Created in March 2003, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the largest investigative branch of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The agency was created after 9/11, by combining the law enforcement arms of the former Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and the former U.S. Customs Service, to more effectively enforce our immigration and customs laws and to protect the United States against terrorist attacks. ICE does this by targeting illegal immigrants: the people, money and materials that support terrorism and other criminal activities. ICE is a key component of the DHS “layered defense” approach to protecting the nation.

Source: http://www.ice.gov/about/index.htm


Not trying to bust your chops Adam...I'm just trying to understand how the system works so I can rake my elected officials over the frigging coals!!! :cuss:
 

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
2,246
Location
Undisclosed
Unless they do something illeagle, we smack them on the wrist real hard.

And if they do, we put them in jail so they can then bond out and disappear like a fart in the wind. You have no idea how many warrants our area has out for Ileagles on OWI arrests.
 

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2001
Messages
27,759
Location
West Florida
Top_Fuel said:
Uhhh...why is the organization called IMMIGRATION and Customs ENFORCEMENT?
Exactly what immigration enforcement duty does ICE perform? :shrug:

If someone violated immigration laws getting here, but they aren't a felon...then they're only a criminal in the eyes of the Border Patrol? :dw:

Not trying to bust your chops Adam...I'm just trying to understand how the system works so I can rake my elected officials over the frigging coals!!! :cuss:

Immigration enforcement in relation to felonies and matters of criminal immigration such as human smuggling and matters requiring immigration issue investigation.

ICE acronym is a misnomer. When the terrorists entered the country and the former INS got the bulk of the blame, two new L.E. agencies were created out of five prev. L.E. agencies. Uniformed Customs and Uniformed Immigration, prev inspectors now officer became Customs and Border Protection. Immigration agents and Customs Agents become Immigration and Customs Enforcement. And Border Patrol became Customs and Border Protection-Border Patrol, uniformed.

Since the blame particularly fell on the uniformed INS, they lost their name in the new agency. The agents retained it in ICE but the new agency got new duties and some of their old duties were tranferred to B.P. including rounding up of illegals in the country w/o inspection.

The ICE badges say I.C.E. instead of Immigration and Customs Enforcement because when the name finally changes to its proper designation, they wont have to pay for new badges. Because Investigations and Criminal Enforcement is still ICE.
 

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
3,281
Location
~
FordSVTFan said:
Immigration enforcement in relation to felonies and matters of criminal immigration such as human smuggling and matters requiring immigration issue investigation.

ICE acronym is a misnomer. When the terrorists entered the country and the former INS got the bulk of the blame, two new L.E. agencies were created out of five prev. L.E. agencies. Uniformed Customs and Uniformed Immigration, prev inspectors now officer became Customs and Border Protection. Immigration agents and Customs Agents become Immigration and Customs Enforcement. And Border Patrol became Customs and Border Protection-Border Patrol, uniformed.

Since the blame particularly fell on the uniformed INS, they lost their name in the new agency. The agents retained it in ICE but the new agency got new duties and some of their old duties were tranferred to B.P. including rounding up of illegals in the country w/o inspection.

The ICE badges say I.C.E. instead of Immigration and Customs Enforcement because when the name finally changes to its proper designation, they wont have to pay for new badges. Because Investigations and Criminal Enforcement is still ICE.
Thanks for that reply...I wish it cleared things up...but the more you explain immigration law enforcement, the more insane the system sounds. :(

The bottom line of all this is that nobody except a few Border Patrol agents has any authority (or interest) in tracking down and deporting illegal immigrants. Is that a fair assessment?
 

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2005
Messages
1,024
Location
Tonk-e-town, MD
The system is a mess. My last couple weeks on the street I locked up a guy on a murder warrant (illegal).... when it comes time for the trial.... poof! then a year later I get a call that he was back and had been locked up again.... time for trial and poof.... gone. INS kept deporting him.... 30-60 days later he would get back across the border.

I found out they were taking him to the border crossing setting him loose.

A mess!
 

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2001
Messages
27,759
Location
West Florida
Top_Fuel said:
Thanks for that reply...I wish it cleared things up...but the more you explain immigration law enforcement, the more insane the system sounds. :(

The bottom line of all this is that nobody except a few Border Patrol agents has any authority (or interest) in tracking down and deporting illegal immigrants. Is that a fair assessment?

No, that is not a fair assessment. If an illegal is in this country as a non criminal alien, and they are here WOI they are under the purview of B.P. If they are here as a criminal illegal or commit some other crime while here, they are under the purview of ICE. But there are exceptions in each case. CBP will also go after illegal aliens if it is during one of their operations or if they encounter them during their tour. But statute and regulation require that some be detained while the vast majority of others, that are non criminals, are give an order to appear before a Fed. Magistrate or they can self deport. If they fail to appear the next time they are a criminal illegal.

There is no simply and easier way to put this out there without going into specifics and giving an immigration lesson. Which I am not inclined to do.
 

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
3,281
Location
~
FordSVTFan said:
...If an illegal is in this country as a non criminal alien...
You know...there's the disconnect right there. In the eyes of Joe SixPack, anyone in this country illegally IS a criminal.
"Non-criminal illegal" = :dw:

According to some stats I looked up, there are only 11,000 B.P. agents in the entire country right now...which breaks down to about 220 per state...or maybe a handful in each county...especially here in the midwest. I think we have more dog catchers in my county than B.P. agents. :(

There is no simply and easier way to put this out there without going into specifics and giving an immigration lesson. Which I am not inclined to do.
I do appreciate the info you've posted. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, it's like pouring gasoline onto smoldering coals. :lol1:

I'm sure if you spelled out all the regulations and the different agencies responsible, I'd just want to go bang my head against the wall after reading it anyway. ;-)
 

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2003
Messages
3,281
Location
~
OK...one final question and I'll let the thread die...Is the statement below accurate?

Only federal agents with ICE, the Border Patrol and other U.S. Department of Homeland Security officials are legally empowered to determine who is a citizen and who is in the country legally.
 

SSCOBRA03

Active Member
Established Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2002
Messages
843
Location
Kingsville, Texas
Roush S3 said:
The system is a mess. My last couple weeks on the street I locked up a guy on a murder warrant (illegal).... when it comes time for the trial.... poof! then a year later I get a call that he was back and had been locked up again.... time for trial and poof.... gone. INS kept deporting him.... 30-60 days later he would get back across the border.

I found out they were taking him to the border crossing setting him loose.

A mess!

All illegals apprehended by the Border Patrol have their fingerprints run through the FBI via IAFIS. If there is an active warrant on the illegal, they are turned over to the appropriate agency for extradition with a detainer. The detainer prevents the the illegal from being bonded out or released by the local/state agency.

Exceptions to this are warrants for minor offences where the agency that issued the warrant refuses to foot the bill to extradite the subject.
In certain cases like this, they are taken to the Port of Entry and released, depending on the charges stated on the warrant.
 

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2001
Messages
27,759
Location
West Florida
Top_Fuel said:
OK...one final question and I'll let the thread die...Is the statement below accurate?

DHS holds the database that has the information used to determine the true legal status of someone. With that, I am sure there is a CFR that states that. But that doesnt mean that any agency cant call one of the DHS agencies and receive that information.

I am in total agreement that a person here illegally is a criminal illegal, but that is not how the policy is interpreted at this time.
 

mvcrash

New Member
Established Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2005
Messages
194
Location
Northern NJ
My Bosses have empathically told us we can no longer keep them in the trunk of the car. As a result of this order, all bumper stickers on uniform cars reading "illegal alien in trunk" were removed.
I replaced my bumper sticker with "Shit Happens." I was asked to remove this one directly by the Chief, although he did smirk and laugh.

Never loose your sense of humor or "The Job" will kill you quicker than any bad guy.
168
 

kcast

LEO
Established Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Messages
367
Location
MB, SC
mvcrash said:
My Bosses have empathically told us we can no longer keep them in the trunk of the car. As a result of this order, all bumper stickers on uniform cars reading "illegal alien in trunk" were removed.
I replaced my bumper sticker with "Shit Happens." I was asked to remove this one directly by the Chief, although he did smirk and laugh.

Never loose your sense of humor or "The Job" will kill you quicker than any bad guy.
168

lol thats good, we'd be fired if we did some sh$* like that....
 

Users who are viewing this thread



Top