LEO's ONLY

98svtconvert

Established Member
just curious if Virginia law requires you to put the front plate on the bumper or if i could put it in my windshield. thanks for the help in advance.

Justin

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
I am pretty sure the states that require a front license plate have a statute that mandates it actually be on the bumper. Same as the rear bumper.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
You can google it. The motor vehicle code is online. I don't rember were exactly it is, but if I remember right there is a statute that says it has to go on the front of the vehicle and then specificies how, but it wasn't specific on to the front bumper.

EDIT TO ADD:

Virginia Code § 46.2-715 - Display of license plates
License plates assigned to a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, tractor truck, trailer, or semitrailer, or to persons licensed as motor vehicle dealers or transporters of unladen vehicles, shall be attached to the front and the rear of the vehicle. The license plate assigned to a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. The license plate assigned to a tractor truck shall be attached to the front of the vehicle. The license plates issued to licensed motor vehicle dealers and to persons licensed as transporters of unladen vehicles shall consist of one plate for each set issued and shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle to which it is assigned.

(Code 1950, � 46-101; 1954, c. 210; 1958, c. 541, � 46.1-106; 1972, c. 609; 1974, c. 150; 1989, c. 727.)

Last edited:

98svtconvert

Established Member
thanks a lot guys. guess i will figure out a way to attach it to the front bumper without drilling holes. stay safe and enjoy your weekend.

Justin

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
As a Va State Trooper, I can tell you for sure that VA law does require the tag or tag bracket to be securley affixed to the front bumper with a minimum of two bolts or screws. I know this blows big time, but you can find brackets that will allow you to "securely" fasten the bracket without putting holes in your bumper. REMEMBER kids....securely fastened to the bumper doesn't necessarily mean the bracket has to be fastened behind the tag to the front of the bumper. LMAO!

silver03svt

Established Member
Me too....i got one of the brackets that mounts under the bumper and folds upward out in front to display the plate. By VA law, it meets the requirements of being mounted tot he bumper. Now I dont have to write myself a traffic ticket! WOOHOO!

silver03svt

Established Member
*removed by moderator - please take your conversation to PM*

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Once again, the OP has clearly marked this thread as LEOs Only. That means he only wants responses from site verified LEOs.

Users who are viewing this thread