LEO's only please

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions for you.

A close friend of mine recently (and illegaly) was racing another car on the road, when I guess the two racing vehicles flew past an "undercover" police officer. By undercover I mean there was no markings of any kind, etc. But here's the thing: it had no lights of any kind on it. As my friend tells the story, this F150 eventually caught up to the two but they were on a single lane road. Now, apparently the police officer (?) in question flashed a badge through his windshield and was telling my friend (who as in the back, he lost heh) to pull over. Now, he swears on his life there were no visible lights or anything like that, simply some random guy holding a badge in his windshield. Eventually the both cars made a left and the road opens into a two lane road, and the f150 got parrallel to my friend and was (supposedly) a complete dick and to make a long story short said (paraphrased) "I got your tag # your ticket is coming in the mail" and took off after the other car.

My questions are as follows. (1) Should my friend have even stopped ? I personally am torn, I mean anyone can make a fake badge to flash at people, and with no lights i woulda told the guy to f off...or at least thats what police themselves have told me? (2) Is there a chance this guy wasn't a traffic cop but actually was a LEO in another form, and if so (3) wouldn't he have to get the subjects in question to sign any ticket that may coming to them? I can see a simple defense of "i let my friend drive my car..." ? Isn't that why you have your offenders sign the ticket?

My theory is he was a police officer and was trying to scare the guys to keep them from racing again, but hey I could be wrong. By the way it's been like three or four weeks and he says he hasn't received a ticket or anything in the mail yet.

Sorry if this is kind of confusing, it's hard to retell a story and make it flow good.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
SVTCobra96 said:
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions for you.

A close friend of mine recently (and illegaly) was racing another car on the road, when I guess the two racing vehicles flew past an "undercover" police officer. By undercover I mean there was no markings of any kind, etc. But here's the thing: it had no lights of any kind on it. As my friend tells the story, this F150 eventually caught up to the two but they were on a single lane road. Now, apparently the police officer (?) in question flashed a badge through his windshield and was telling my friend (who as in the back, he lost heh) to pull over. Now, he swears on his life there were no visible lights or anything like that, simply some random guy holding a badge in his windshield. Eventually the both cars made a left and the road opens into a two lane road, and the f150 got parrallel to my friend and was (supposedly) a complete dick and to make a long story short said (paraphrased) "I got your tag # your ticket is coming in the mail" and took off after the other car.

Okay.

My questions are as follows. (1) Should my friend have even stopped ? I personally am torn, I mean anyone can make a fake badge to flash at people, and with no lights i woulda told the guy to f off...or at least thats what police themselves have told me?

No he should not have stopped as the vehicle wasnt marked and the person wasnt in uniform. If he was concerned it was a police officer he could have put his flashers on and went to a public place while calling 9-1-1 on his cell phone. Additionally the badge doesnt mean shit without the corresponding credentials that identify the L.E.O. and his agency.

(2) Is there a chance this guy wasn't a traffic cop but actually was a LEO in another form, and if so (3) wouldn't he have to get the subjects in question to sign any ticket that may coming to them? I can see a simple defense of "i let my friend drive my car..." ? Isn't that why you have your offenders sign the ticket?

There are quite a few possibilities: He could have been a patrol officer going home. A detective in his POV. FDLE. Etc. The tickets doesnt necessarily need to be signed. If he uses the "I let my friend drive the car" defense, then he is compelled to cooperate in the investigation and not obstruct justice by giving forth his "friends" name. Plus if the officer saw your friend driving, which apparently he did, the officer will testify that he was the driver.

My theory is he was a police officer and was trying to scare the guys to keep them from racing again, but hey I could be wrong. By the way it's been like three or four weeks and he says he hasn't received a ticket or anything in the mail yet.

The L.E.O. was probably off duty and saw it and then realized later it wasnt going to worth his own time to follow up on it. Had your friend pulled over, I am sure he would have called for a marked unit to come and issue tickets right then and there.

Sorry if this is kind of confusing, it's hard to retell a story and make it flow good.

Okay.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
The L.E.O. was probably off duty and saw it and then realized later it wasnt going to worth his own time to follow up on it. Had your friend pulled over, I am sure he would have called for a marked unit to come and issue tickets right then and there

So do you think he needs to get ready to bend over, or did my friend luck out? I just think that if he was going to receive a citation it would have been done there, it can't be easy at all to prove the way events occured. Especially because there are afew possibilities he could receive as a citation (speeding, racing, etc). I guess racing would be the easiest to prove, but speeding i think it's pretty clear he didn't get any of the speeds on radar and he didn't pace them etc, so....

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
He could write him for numerous things from speeding(visual estimate), reckless driving, drag racing, etc. Like I said if the officer was going to do anything with he would most likely of done it while still fresh in his mind. So that would have been within 3-4 days or a week if he was off. Your friend should have had a ticket in his hand if one was going to be issued.

NinetySixSVT

PacoTaco Defeater
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
He could write him for numerous things from speeding(visual estimate), reckless driving, drag racing, etc. Like I said if the officer was going to do anything with he would most likely of done it while still fresh in his mind. So that would have been within 3-4 days or a week if he was off. Your friend should have had a ticket in his hand if one was going to be issued.

Thanks for the responses; that's what I figured.

Users who are viewing this thread