LEO's needed. Got a Ticket.

cSoVbTr0a1

Established Member
I just got a ticket tonight, but before I explain everything heres a few things to know about my situation prior to reading.

I have had 2 speeding tickets and another moving violation (not signaling) in the past 3 years. I have been put on probation by my insurance because of this, and have been on it for about 5 months. I have not had a ticket from April 26 2007 until tonight, but the insurance just recently put me on a 12 month probation period.

So heres what happen tonight, and I will try my hardest to not be biased in my telling. I have been studying for a test all day, and it was getting late, I go on a run to get some food. Driving home, as I turned off a busy main street into my neighborhood, a Police Officer is coming up on me quick with his lights on. He pulls me over, claiming he clocked me at 55 mph using Laser in a 35. I have a Valentine One radar that picks up Laser. He describes where he was sitting clocking people which was perpendicular to the flow of traffic he claimed he was clocking. I know for a fact I was traveling at 35, due to the fact I can not risk getting a ticket. My question is, I thought it was not possible to clock a speed being perpendicular to what you would be clocking? Second, I have reason to believe he in fact did not clock me, because the Valentine did not go off.

I tried being as respectful as I could to the officer, I didn't challenge his judgement or honesty. I just let him know I was a little baffled as to why I was getting ticketed because I knew I was in 3rd gear and the exact speed I was traveling.

Now I am going to be kicked off my insurance due to me getting a ticket while on probation with my insurance. Is there anything that could help my situation? Can I actually set a court date and discuss the matter with a judge? Is there anything I can do, since I have reason to believe I was just targeted? I have heard stories of people setting court dates, and the Officer not showing up, then the ticket being dropped. Is that in fact what happens in that scenario? If not, does anyone have any experience with what the best route is for me to take in attempting to get my ticket dropped? Or am I just flat out doomed?

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I just got a ticket tonight, but before I explain everything heres a few things to know about my situation prior to reading.

I have had 2 speeding tickets and another moving violation (not signaling) in the past 3 years. I have been put on probation by my insurance because of this, and have been on it for about 5 months. I have not had a ticket from April 26 2007 until tonight, but the insurance just recently put me on a 12 month probation period.

So heres what happen tonight, and I will try my hardest to not be biased in my telling. I have been studying for a test all day, and it was getting late, I go on a run to get some food. Driving home, as I turned off a busy main street into my neighborhood, a Police Officer is coming up on me quick with his lights on. He pulls me over, claiming he clocked me at 55 mph using Laser in a 35. I have a Valentine One radar that picks up Laser. He describes where he was sitting clocking people which was perpendicular to the flow of traffic he claimed he was clocking. I know for a fact I was traveling at 35, due to the fact I can not risk getting a ticket. My question is, I thought it was not possible to clock a speed being perpendicular to what you would be clocking? Second, I have reason to believe he in fact did not clock me, because the Valentine did not go off.

I tried being as respectful as I could to the officer, I didn't challenge his judgement or honesty. I just let him know I was a little baffled as to why I was getting ticketed because I knew I was in 3rd gear and the exact speed I was traveling.

Now I am going to be kicked off my insurance due to me getting a ticket while on probation with my insurance. Is there anything that could help my situation? Can I actually set a court date and discuss the matter with a judge? Is there anything I can do, since I have reason to believe I was just targeted? I have heard stories of people setting court dates, and the Officer not showing up, then the ticket being dropped. Is that in fact what happens in that scenario? If not, does anyone have any experience with what the best route is for me to take in attempting to get my ticket dropped? Or am I just flat out doomed?

You can plead not guilty. The ticket is an allegation that you can agree with and plead guilty, or not agree with and plead not guilty. If you plead not guilty and go to court, you need a defense and evidence. Telling the judge that your Valentine One didnt alert is not a good defense.

If the officer doesn't show, it is up to the judge to either dismiss or reschedule or he can hear the case and adjudicate. Also, officers who write tickets are very likely to show up, as that is their job and their bosses dont appreciate them not following up.

Lastly, what "reason do you have to believe you were targeted?" Regardless, if you were "targeted" and were shot with laser, you are done, unless you can prove the laser was not accurate.

mav_tu

Established Member
My question is, I thought it was not possible to clock a speed being perpendicular to what you would be clocking?

With stationary handheld laser (and radar) the patrol vehicle's direction does not matter. With laser, patrol vehicle needs to be stopped and have a clear line of sight to the target vehicle. He could have been facing any direction and it still "clock" you...

ZChaos0026

Established Member
Also a laser beam is much more narrow than a radar, so there is a slim possiblity that he hit you and your detector did not pick it up. If i remember right, at a 1000 feet the beam is only 3 feet wide

Users who are viewing this thread