LEOs - Need Info on State to State databases on tickets (long read)

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
I apologize in advance for the long read - I'll try to keep it straight:sleeping:

My father in law (FIL) was down in FL visiting and house hunting 2 years ago. On his way home to NC, he got nailed doing 92 in a 70 on I-95 in SC by the local LEOs (not Hwy Patrol). They had him - dead to rights - kind of hard to miss a black 750Li moving at that speed:burn:. He got a local SC attorney to ensure he didn't end up in jail, etc. due to the high degree over over the posted limit.

The local atty did her thing - the fine was paid (unsure if points were assessed, but supposedly, the infraction was reduced, but not sure by how much - I need to find that out from my FIL) and everyone should go on with life.

Shortly after the ticket, my FIL moved to FL. He actually resolved the ticket after he moved down here (glacial due process:beer:). Net message - he no longer lives in NC, but FL and has for just shy of 2 years.

Last week, he gets a letter from the state of NC saying they are going to suspend his license for 6 months because he was ticketed for in excess of 80 mph. The letter went on to state that they will issue a bench warrant, if they do not hear from him by XX date.

His initial reaction was "do nothing" since he is no longer licensed in NC (he gave that license to the FL DMV when he moved here), but I'm inclined to think that it is best to get everything fixed, so it doesn't bite him in the butt at a later date.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Derek

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Tell your father to contact the Attorney ASAP.

SC and FL are both members of the Drivers License Interstate Compact. His license will be suspended in SC and thus transfer to FL.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Tell your father to contact the Attorney ASAP.

SC and FL are both members of the Drivers License Interstate Compact. His license will be suspended in SC and thus transfer to FL.

IF I am correct on this, NC suspends the O/L of its' residences' if they get a ticket for more than 15 over issued anywhere in the US.

OP, first thing I would do is tell NC that your FIL is no longer licensed or a resident of NC, and has moved to another state. Then, contaact FL, and see if the conviction will affect his O/L there even though it was long before he moved to FL.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
At first look, I would agree with the above info. Contact the SC lawyer and get a copy of the case disposition. In some jurisdictions these records are available, as public records, online. If NC automatically suspends on out of state infractions to that degree then it should warrant some concern because of the DL Compact. However, if he turned his DL into FL they should have returned it to NC. But, NC can retroactively suspend his DL back to date of infraction, thus prior to him obtaining a FL DL which might place his FL DL in jeopardy. He definitely needs to respond to NC and state that they do not have personal jurisdiction over him and that they must cease their action, that is unless he still owns property in NC.

D-Rock

I got my swim trunks...
Established Member
Thanks for the advice and input. I have a good, local atty friend who said she can help him with contacting NC DMV tomorrow (closed today for MLK).

On a side note, apparently NC (the bible belt:bowdown:) has a weird law. It is called "prayer for judgment" and for your first traffic offense, if you request a hearing and request a prayer for judgment, they pretty much drop everything - the equivalent of a perpetual continuance. You can only use it once over 5 years and don't screw up in between.

Thanks again for the assistance:beer:.

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
You can use a prayer for judgement once every 3 years. It's also not the equivalent of dropping. It requires you not getting a ticket for 3 years after conviction to keep it off your driving record.

Users who are viewing this thread