LEOs, I need an opinion...

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
To make a very long story short I'll cut to the chase.

I went to a White Sox game with 8 friends last night, We took public transportation so we could all have a good time and not worry about driving and parking. We all had a little bit to drink, I think I had 4 or 5 beers.

We took the "L" from the south side of the city to get us closer to the main train station so that we could make our way back to the suburbs. While walking from the "L" to the train station someone pulled up a small plant from a planterbox thingy along the sidewalk.... Yea I know, its stupid. I apparently tugged on one but did not remove it, According to Chicago PD. Two cops saw it happen and wanted to throw the whole group in the slammer. I told them I was partially responsible, and the other girl who did pull one or more of them up was responsible.

I was polite and told them I personally did not do any damage to them and that we would place them where they came from. They told me "Shut the F**k up, your drunk." I was unable to explain anything to them, They cuffed us both, And threw us in a patty-wagon. No one read me my rights, I was not allowed a phone call and they treated me like complete garbage at the station. They would not tell me other friends where they were taking us or when we would be released. They yelled at me a bunch at the station and threw me in a holding cell with 2 other guys, I wasn't allowed to ask any questions or say anything...yet the other two guys were able to talk with the officers freely.

Everyone at the station was black, I was the only white person in the place. I hate to sound stupid but I really feel I was treated the way I was because I am white.

Also, they cleaned out my wallet of all my cash (a hundred something bucks) and did not return it to me.

When I appear for court what should I do? I mean, no one read me my rights, I couldnt make a phone call, and they stole from me..!!

I need a LEO's opinion.

Thanks guys!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
From your story there was no need to read you the miranda warning as you dont describe being interrogated while in custody. As for your "phone call," did you ask to make a phone call? If so, what were you told? How long were you held, because if you were processed and released there would be no requirement to interrupt the process to permit you to call someone. Your friends were not involved in the situation and therefore had no standing to ask questions concerning your arrest/charges.

As for you being treated like crap, that is too bad, however you placed yourself in the situation.

When you are arrested and your property is taken a property log is created. There is almost always a column for listed money. What was listed on the property sheet. If you had the money and it wasnt returned to you, you should file a complaint with the PD.

As for court, the absence of miranda warnings and the phone call are non-factors in the crime charged and the money situation is a separate event that does not mitigate your charges.

I suggest getting an attorney.

LeddZepp8687

Yes, It's slow.
Established Member
Thanks for your input...

I was held from about 9:45pm until a little after 3am... They flat out ignored me when I asked to make a call, despite asking them three times politely.

As for belongings, they left me nine dollars and that is what they wrote on my bag of belongings, when I know I had more than that in there.

Ultimately, I did not cause any large amount of damage and I am terrified of what kind of sentencing they might administer, because I live in the suburbs I have a feeling they will come down harder on me.

I'm not a bad guy, we were all just riled up and one mistake was one too many in this case.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Thanks for your input...

I was held from about 9:45pm until a little after 3am... They flat out ignored me when I asked to make a call, despite asking them three times politely.

As for belongings, they left me nine dollars and that is what they wrote on my bag of belongings, when I know I had more than that in there.

Ultimately, I did not cause any large amount of damage and I am terrified of what kind of sentencing they might administer, because I live in the suburbs I have a feeling they will come down harder on me.

I'm not a bad guy, we were all just riled up and one mistake was one too many in this case.

You were held less than 6 hours, as such there is no requirement for them to allow you to make a phone call regardless of how polite you were.

Like I said before this is a criminal charge and you should get an attorney as a good local attorney may be able to get it reduced to a non-criminal charge.

There is no assumption you are a bad guy you just did a dumb thing and were caught.

Users who are viewing this thread