Leo's Career questions.

JohnnyRocket4v

Established Member
So I'll try not to write a book here. Been doing a lot of thinking here latly about leaving my career which is a great career, very high paying with good benifits to become a LEO. I always wanted to join the military and be a front line guy or special forces, just wanted to be in the action, but never was able to due to taking care of family. I'm 27 years old super motivated with whatever I do, great physical condition and I guess you could say I like adreanelin. I grew up working hard on a farm and started working on elevators when I turned 18. I love my job but I feel I could do more with my life. I'd really like to be able to help people and protect them. I would really like to work in narcotics just because I have seen so many people close to me effected by drug related issues. I feel I could make a difference and be an asset to a team. Honestly I really want to make a difference. I live in Maryland so I would be looking in the area. My questions are: what is needed to join? How difficult would it be for me to get hired? Would I be able to get into a narcotics position? Do you feel it is a good decision to leave my career.? Any kind of school or training that would get me hired in a position that sees a lot of action? Thanks your help and advice

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
First off, you need to make sure that being an LEO is something that your heart really wants, not your brain. Then, you need to come to terms with the fact that you want to help people and protect people that they will call you names, blame everything on you, say you are a racist, and generally hate you JUST for wearing the badge. If you can come to grips with that and NOT let it bother you, then I say go for it. Most academies only require a high school diploma. Some of the better departments require a college degree OR military service. Most places will require you to work a routine patrol duty before getting into a specialty unit like narcotics.

I have been an LEO for going on 16 years, and I really couldn't see myself doing anything else for a career.

Dominican_7

Established Member
First off, you need to make sure that being an LEO is something that your heart really wants, not your brain. Then, you need to come to terms with the fact that you want to help people and protect people that they will call you names, blame everything on you, say you are a racist, and generally hate you JUST for wearing the badge. If you can come to grips with that and NOT let it bother you, then I say go for it. Most academies only require a high school diploma. Some of the better departments require a college degree OR military service. Most places will require you to work a routine patrol duty before getting into a specialty unit like narcotics.

I have been an LEO for going on 16 years, and I really couldn't see myself doing anything else for a career.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

JohnnyRocket4v

Established Member
I would say that my heart would definitely be in it. That's why I would leave the career that I'm in.. Would finically be tough but at the end of the day knowing I made a difference would make it worth it

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member

Very well said brother! I agree totally. 14 years in patrol and still can't imagine my life going any other direction.

98stangerSVT

Established Member
Very well said brother! I agree totally. 14 years in patrol and still can't imagine my life going any other direction.

I agree with all of the above. I went through the academy at 27 and it was the best decision I've ever made. I'm in the St. Louis area and times are tough for LEO's across the country. However, to me the job is extremely fulfilling, and in no other career (other than military) can you have that many strangers to call brother/sister. In this career, the good definitely outweighs the bad.

In Missouri, a lot of departments are starting to require at least an Associates Degree in order to be eligible for hire.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I believe the elevator guys are some of the highest paid in trades? If I were you I would save up enough vacation time to take off for academy training. I had a friend with a similar situation. Guy always wanted to a cop and would have probably been a great one but he was in sales, he has true talent. He went into the academy for a city police force and dropped out fairly quickly. As it turned out it wasn't what he thought it would be and he was put off by some of the people that were in the program with him.

SINISTRR

Established Member
Don't think that an entire shift will be an adrenaline rush....because it's not. You will have moments of it but the vast majority of the time is report writing and administrative duties, and answering calls for silliest little things.

I love being a cop....love helping people and hopefully making a difference in people's lives. Yes there are people that hate us because of the badge. That's part of the job.

It can be a very rewarding career. You will have opportunities within the organization, as well as on-going training and learning . You will be surrounded by A+++++ personalities. There will be officers that will always have your back and there will be some that may stab you in the back on their way to the top.

If you really want a career in law enforcement, you need to know WHY you want it. Saying you're in it for the adrenaline, and the excitement, well those are the wrong reasons.

Good luck!! It really is an awesome career!!

Rings

Established Member
All very good points. Something an old wise detective told me was "first things first, this job is 90% paperwork. Also there is a chance youll have to shoot someone, it may be small but its there. Are YOU able to cope with shooting another/taking a life? Bc If youre not, do NOT waste your time"
While Im only 3 years young in it, I haven't had to draw my weapon...and I hope I NEVER have too, but I WILL go home every night no matter what!

Listen to the old guys, they are VERY wise! Think before you leap.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Been in law enforcement since 1991. I never had aspirations of being an officer before that (long story, but it involves the military and an ex-wife). I plan on retiring in 5 years.

Pros:
  • Helping the good people
  • Arresting the bad people
  • Adrenaline rush
  • Keeps me in shape
  • Not an office job

Cons:
  • Can be long periods of dead-time (especially on the graveyard shift)
  • Paperwork
  • Having some shitbag hit the streets before the report is finished
  • Having to arrest someone in front of their small children
  • Losing a good case
  • Responding to fatal traffic accidents (especially those involving children)

Not inclusive, by the way.

Also, if you become management (I am the D/C of a small federal department), that brings in a whole bunch more headaches. I now have a desk job and spend way too much time babysitting (feels like).

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
Not going to rehash all of what the others said above...all true. I would add that you seem very ambitious and that can be a good thing, but it can also lead to disappointment. You stated that you would like to get into narcotics work. Entry into a specialized unit really depends on the size of the agency you are going to be employed with. I have been with my agency for 16 years and I can tell you that all the type A personalities want to be in narcotics and it is a super small unit. Nothing happens overnight. You will have to put your time in pushing a car in patrol and trust me, most of what we do is not glamorous. I think a lot of younger guys think they are going to come out of the academy and poof, they will get their dream assignment. It's not going to happen that way...especially in a smaller agency. If you really want Narcotics than I would recommend a large city department where promotions and transfers are more plentiful, but the downside is that generally the city cops make less than their counterparts in the suburbs (at least this is true in my area). So at 27 and fresh out of the academy and being all full of piss and vinegar, narcotics sounds great...after 10 years with a family and a mortgage I can tell you that you will probably want to be in the unit that allows you to make a good living and have a lot of time off with the family.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
You're going to have to go in knowing that you'll never be a rich man (money wise) being a police officer.

I've been an officer for 5 years now and have seen a little bit now. The job is tougher and different in many ways than what I expected. You go in wanting to "help people" and take bad guys to jail, and that's good, but you also end up dealing with stuff you never hear or really think about. There is so much that can be said, but in reality it's just better if you go on ride-alongs to have an officer just talk to you in person to get a better perspective of what the job entails. Hopefully you would get to ride with an officer that keeps it real with you.

As for a Narco officer, make sure you do your homework on the agency you are looking to get hired by. Over here, due to budget cuts, we no longer have a specific Narco unit. It's a lot of work building cases, experience, controlled buys, and CI's, and it's never ending.

Users who are viewing this thread