LEO Question.

wallie40

Established Member
Hey guys, I have this strange thing that happened to me.

So here is my story, my dad was storing my car for me. He and i have had a fall out and now we no longer talk. I tried contacting him about my car and got no response. Today I find out that he registered the car in Idaho. I am the legal owner on the title in Ca.

Can he be arrested for what he did? If he did do something illegal, like forge my name on the title, can i press charges?

Its been a trying morning.

Thanks!

-Paul

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
not sure about CA but in Texas you would have to send a "10 day demand letter" stating you want the car back and if he doesn't you would be filing charges. If you are the owner and only one on the title and he doesn't give the car back you can report the car as stolen after the demand letter. Sorry to hear about you and your dad, hope you can work this out without having to go the legal route

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
hire an atty. its a civil issue, unless you can prove he forged your sig. couple things to consider are abandonment issues. the atty will be able to tell you the exact laws pertaining to the particular states.

how long did you leave it? was it in writing? did you owe him money? did he have or did he place a lien on it?

all things to consider. hire an atty and let him fight it. your dad wont be able to intimidate or push around an atty.

jshen

Established Member
I agree with above poster in that this may be just a civil matter. Abandonment is an issue and he may have applied for a title- using abandoned, debt, lien..or a number of reasons to lawfully apply for a title in his name. Therefore you may not have forgery at all or a theft by conversion. Now to get an attorney, figure $150.00 per hour and up. I don't know the value of your car but I think a call is in order to your FATHER and try to work things out first.

wallie40

Established Member
I wish it was a abandonment but he acted as me to get a replacement title and signed my name on the title. Hand Writing examplars(SP) have been taken of all parties.

Thanks for the input guys.

-Paul

horspla2000

Established Member
Damn shame this happens this way, BUT.... if you had it stored, you had every right to assume it was still stored as it had been in the past. As time went on (after the falling out) you were under the impression it was stored, but your dad may have had a different idea. He may have applied for title as an abandoned unbeknownst to you. I suggest a good heart to heart to work this out! Best of luck

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I agree with above poster in that this may be just a civil matter. Abandonment is an issue and he may have applied for a title- using abandoned, debt, lien..or a number of reasons to lawfully apply for a title in his name. Therefore you may not have forgery at all or a theft by conversion. Now to get an attorney, figure $150.00 per hour and up. I don't know the value of your car but I think a call is in order to your FATHER and try to work things out first.
$150 sounds awful cheap. My parents got quotes ranging from $250-400/hour, I think they're paying $300, which is probably 400+ in reality, considering everything is rounded up.

CWCobra

Established Member
Call Pop and make up; apologize if you have to. My dad and I patched things up before he died, and it was the best thing I ever did. Hope you fare as well.

A car is just a car; you only have one dad.

Users who are viewing this thread