LEO question

kook911

Established Member
Ok I all ways wanted to become a LEO. My question if I take the TCC police academy and get my TCLEOSE, would that help me get a job offer? Would that give me a better chance? I know that it will give me a step above over people that do not have the TCLEOSE. I just don’t want to waste time and money if it will not give a step above the rest of the competition or get the attention of police departments. The TCC academy is offer to the public and I would attend on my own time. I’m just trying to set myself apart and need some info if this is the right choice or not.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Being a certified LEO will be a plus but not as much of a plus as experience and education in critical skill areas, especially if you meet the minimum requirements.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Being a certified LEO will be a plus but not as much of a plus as experience and education in critical skill areas, especially if you meet the minimum requirements.

+1

OP, are you looking to get into big city, county, smaller municipality?

Most large cities will have their own academy that you must attend. Regardless of past training. Smaller agencies may require pre-certified applicants as a cost saving measure. It really just depends on the agency.

kook911

Established Member
+1

OP, are you looking to get into big city, county, smaller municipality?

Most large cities will have their own academy that you must attend. Regardless of past training. Smaller agencies may require pre-certified applicants as a cost saving measure. It really just depends on the agency.

Well I live in DFW. So there are plenty of cities to choose from. I have the college hours that they need but most of the cities say they all ready want you to be certified. So thats why I was asking. If i get the tcleose then would that help me to get in. When I read the requirements they do not ask for experience, just the tcleose.*

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
You just need to decide if you want to work for a big pd or a small pd or so. I went to work for a small pd and they require you to be tcleose certified. If you have the time, I would just go to school. I got lucky and was sponsored, so no out of pocket expense.
Then when I went to work for DPS I had to go through their academy. Back then it was six months of hell! I think it's down to four months now.

Users who are viewing this thread