LEO question on Tickets

06x6spdGTO

Established Member
Hello, i had a question about law enforcement. i was waiting to pull out onto a main 4 lane road(5 lanes with the turning lane in the center) i was using the center lane almost like a merging lane as there was a silver 2000 bonneville in the left lane (closest to the turning lane) as im trying to get over the bonni next to me hammers on it and wont let me get by so i roll into the trottle probly just shift into 3rd. and merge over. i look in my mirror this bonni is right on my tail. so i pull in the right lane and he gets even closer. (were talking 2 maybe 3feet between cars) then he whips it into the next lane pulls up next to me and starts flashing this badge around. so i roll the window down and he yells "your getting a ticket tonight ****er" so i yell back for what? he says wreckless Driving, then i say ok Sorry. i turn my blicker on to pull off the main road. i pull of and he just keeps right on going. doesnt even turn at the street i do. so without him writting me a ticket can he just show up at my door and write me a citation. or the next time he see me driving just pull me over and write a ticket due to a grudge?

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I seriously doubt that was a police officer. It was some idiot with some type of tin. Probably a security guard badge. I would bet your chances of receiving that ticket is 2%, especially since reckless is a criminal misdemeanor.

Additionally, dont circumvent the obscenity filter.

06x6spdGTO

Established Member
so if he was a LEO and i was driving around later tonight can he just pull me over and write me a ticket for Wreckless or have another officer do it? i know using the turning lane for a merger lane was wrong but there were maybe 4 cars on this street coming out of town and i was going into town.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
If he was an LEO, yes he could write you a ticket. Like Adam said, I would doubt he would do that. Don't forget officers have two years to file if need be, but don't look for that either.

FordSVTFan

Established Member
so if he was a LEO and i was driving around later tonight can he just pull me over and write me a ticket for Wreckless or have another officer do it? i know using the turning lane for a merger lane was wrong but there were maybe 4 cars on this street coming out of town and i was going into town.

He could write you for RECKLESS at any time up to two years after the event.

FiXXXer024

E13 SVT
Established Member
There's always an option to mail you a ticket (my personal favorite). I like to do that when people fail to immediately pull to the right and stop and I'm on the way to an emergency call (i.e. the violator can't be stopped).

06x6spdGTO

Established Member
how does this work if he isnt even on duty? wouldnt it be my word against his? and if he did couldnt i just fight it by saying i wasnt even driving and that my "friend" borrowed the car earlier that day?

Last edited:

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
Once the oath is taken we are leo,s 24/7.Maybe not active when we are off,but he/she still has the right to enforce the laws and oridinances of his jurisdiction.Going by what you described,he wasnt leo,just a wanna be with a happy meal badge

FordSVTFan

Established Member
how does this work if he isnt even on duty? wouldnt it be my word against his? and if he did couldnt i just fight it by saying i wasnt even driving and that my "friend" borrowed the car earlier that day?

In almost every jurisdiction in this country L.E.O.s are 24/7. They may not be on shift, but they can still enforce the law as they were sworn to do.

Of course you could lie in court. I wouldnt recommend that. The next question from the judge would be "who is your friend and where can he be reached?"

FiXXXer024

E13 SVT
Established Member

Any officer can activate himself at any time, off-duty or on-duty in plain clothes, it just takes the knowledge that he's a police officer (voicing it or showing his badge) to do it. You can say your friend was driving when you take it to court... he can just say "no your honor, that was the man I saw driving". The judge/clerk magistrate might not be too happy with you lying though :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread