LEO Question about CCW and intent.

Sublimize23

Established Member
My friend and I are having a debate. He is really insistent on getting a handgun and carrying. He just turned 21 and is definitely at least buying a 9mm pistol to take range shooting and for self defense. He wondered if he could get one of those flashlights that attach to the end of the barrel, but he said he heard that if the light is on someone and the gun is pointed at them, that demonstrates intent to kill/attempted murder. Is there any truth to this?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
If the gun is pointed at someone, regardless of the light, they are brandishing a firearm and better be licensed and have cause to do so. But that will not yield a presumptive charge.

txyaloo

Established Member
Not to mention you should never point a firearm (loaded or not) at anything you don't intend to shoot. Firearms Safety 101...

If you're aiming a loaded firearm at someone, you have more to worry about than a light attached under the barrel.

Sublimize23

Established Member
Yeah that is what I thought. I'm not sure on the small details of a carrying permit since I have no need or interest in doing so. What can be some possible consequences if, hypothetically, a life threatening situation arose, the firearm was drawn, and aimed at the offender. If no shots are taken, what could happen? Also, we've all heard the stories about the people who got sued for shooting a trespasser on their own property for personal injury. Whether there's truth to those stories, I don't know. Thanks for enlightening me on this guys! I am still attempting to talk him out of a concealed permit.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
this is how I got burnt my first time charging a young guy with concealed weapon, a learning experience for me.

i pulled the guy over for wreckless driving, when i approached the vehicle and asked for DL, i noticed the butt of the handgun extending out of the passenger side door pocket.
long story short, i charged him with conceled carry.

4 months later when it went to court, i took the stand and his attorney asked me, "officer, when you approached my clients vehicle, at what point did you notice the concealed weapon?" i thought this was gonna be easy..." i said with an arrogant attitude..." As i apporached the vehicle, i noticed the weapon protruding from the...." then I thought...OH SHIT! i just owned myself....few minutes later, after a gavel smack, "charges dismissed" uttered by the judge.

lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread