*LEO ONLY* Abandoned Vehicle

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
There's been an SVT Lightning sitting on public property for the last two weeks abandoned, the right rear wheel has literally snapped off of the axle, and the plates are removed.

I'm wondering if any LEO's could run the VIN for me to see if it's stolen, (if not, I can call the local PD), and I was wondering what the process for claiming an abandoned vehicle was (that's left on public property). Now I know it varies from state to state, but I was just curious as to if anyone knows the VA law.

Edit: Actually, I guess it's technically private property--it's in a little shopping center.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
There's been an SVT Lightning sitting on public property for the last two weeks abandoned, the right rear wheel has literally snapped off of the axle, and the plates are removed.

I'm wondering if any LEO's could run the VIN for me to see if it's stolen, (if not, I can call the local PD), and I was wondering what the process for claiming an abandoned vehicle was (that's left on public property). Now I know it varies from state to state, but I was just curious as to if anyone knows the VA law.

Edit: Actually, I guess it's technically private property--it's in a little shopping center.

What you consider "abandoned" might not meet the legal definition of being abandoned. You need to ask yourself why would someone who owns a Lightning leave it somewhere and give up all legal title to it. It is not likely. There are a couple of scenarios that are more likely. For instance, it was stolen and left there. It broke down and the owner is waiting for part or money, etc. However, if the owner dropped it there and took his plates and said goodbye, it is probable there is still a lien on it and therefore lender property.

You can call the police and report it, they are unlikely to run the vin and give you owner information.

Also, if it is on private property they have the right to retain anything abandoned on their property.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
I don't know what the cops do in Jo Momma's town, but in California, we don't tow from private property, even if it's open to public access like a parking lot. That's a civil matter and the owner of the property has to have it removed. If the parking lot is posted with the proper vehicle code or local statutes, the property owner can have the truck towed away. The tow company then sends a certified letter to the last registered address informing the registered owner and/or legal owner of the tow and cost to get the truck back. Next, the tow company places a lien on the truck. If no one responds to the notice of tow and storage, the tow company can sell the truck to get back any monies lost for tow and storage. Because there is money to be made, (i.e. fees and penalties) your state's department of motor vehicles isn't going to declare that truck abandoned. Same thing with boats in case someone is wondering.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
That's why I asked. I've heard people getting ownership of abandoned vehicles before, but I didn't know what the whole deal with it is. And as far as it being technically abandoned, by the laws on the VA DMV website, it is.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
That's why I asked. I've heard people getting ownership of abandoned vehicles before, but I didn't know what the whole deal with it is. And as far as it being technically abandoned, by the laws on the VA DMV website, it is.

You are confusing the term. "Abandoned" is a specific legal term when applied to property. It indicates that the owner has relinquished all property rights and the first person to take possession is the new owner. For instance, when you place your old TV at the curb for trash pick-up in most jurisdictions it is abandoned. The DMV's label of "abandoned" is not a legal determination of ownership but is a a determination of possession at that time. It allows for towing, etc, but does not allow for new ownership.

drews01cobra

I fly really low....
Established Member
You are confusing the term. "Abandoned" is a specific legal term when applied to property. It indicates that the owner has relinquished all property rights and the first person to take possession is the new owner. For instance, when you place your old TV at the curb for trash pick-up in most jurisdictions it is abandoned. The DMV's label of "abandoned" is not a legal determination of ownership but is a a determination of possession at that time. It allows for towing, etc, but does not allow for new ownership.

+1 - If you think that by your local law, the vehicle is technically abandoned, then do what you want. After you're sitting in the back of a police car for possession of a stolen vehicle, then you'll understand that the term abandoned does not mean what you want it to mean.

Sorry, we're trying to give you sound advice and keep you out of trouble, but you want all of us to agree with you so you can go over there and get that truck. You're not going to be able to stand in front of the judge and use the "LEO's on SVTP told me I could" defense. Not trying to be a smart a$$, we are always here to help you out, but you got to believe us when we tell you that you can't do that.

These guys have been cops for a long time and I've never seen an error in there opinions or advice.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
Whoa whoa whoa guys, all I was asking was the legalities of abandoned vehicles. I never said anything about going to pick it up. All I asked is what the rules of claiming something was, and I didn't know asking to run a VIN was illegal. Why don't you just arrest me for asking questions?

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
So you'd throw someone in jail for asking a question about a possible abandoned vehicle?

No, but asking an officer to improperly use the NCIC (running the VIN) is a completely different issue...

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
No, but asking an officer to improperly use the NCIC (running the VIN) is a completely different issue...
Now that makes sense. So what would be the right avenue to find something like that out? Legally..

Users who are viewing this thread