"lemon Law"

sprchrgmstng

Established Member
:fm: Well, this is my first time using this forum and I hope you fellow Cobra drivers can help me understand or what to do. I bought my 03 Cobra Convertible last year, March 03. I only have 24,000 miles on it and i am not satisfied with my car. The Ford dealer here in California has replaced the PCM because my car was shuting off for no reason. Then the clutch has been replaced twice already. Right now my car has been at the dealer for like 1 month because its getting a new transmission & cylinder heads 6 & 8. Why is this happening. I have not modified my car at all. Can I use the "Lemon Law"? Please help!!!!!!! What I know once you work on the engine the car is not the same right? :fm:

redz_02

Established Member
to use the lemon law you need to have the same problem repetitively. For ware parts such as a clutch, they are not considered. We need more details on the clutch and so on.

sprchrgmstng

Established Member
Well about the clutch...Ford replaced the clutch beacause the found that the throw out bearing was damaged both times. On the cylinder heads Ford found low compression on 6 & 8 and about the transmission second gear was always grinding.

StreetSnake

Established Member
I wouldnt be to concerned about the engine never being right after they crack it open. Had the cylinder head replaced on mine and its never skipped a beat.

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
If you were able to lemon it you would not get all of your money back. I had a 96 Z28 with 18K miles on it by time they were ready to buy it back and they offered something - usage. I still was able to walk away from it but didn't get all my money back.

lethal

Established Member
Actually, with all that work, you are getting a new engine and tranny on a car you have gotten 24K miles out of.

Let them repair it and see how you like it.

May be worlds better then it originally was.

John

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Check the terms of your states Lemon Law. They do differ. In Indiana if the car is out of service for more than 30 days you may have a case. I had several issues. Many recurring and one stretch of time where my car was out for 35 days.

I had filled out the arbitration paperwork, (not lemon law) and was going to take Ford to this for resolution. They offered me an exchange, new Redfire for my MG. This was beneficial for both, I got a new car and the MG one was not officially a lemon. My car had 7k miles on it. Your mileage may be your tough point to argue.

See how it is after you get it back. If you proceed they will usually use 100000 miles as the life of a vehicle. So expect to get maybe 3/4's of your purchase price MAX

twocobras

Established Member
Check your state laws as stated above. In NC if your car is in for the same fix more than 3 times in a 12 month period of time or if it's in the shop for more than 20 business days in a 12 month period you are eligible. It's pretty cut and dry and if you qualify Ford has no choice but to work with you. I had a 2003 Mach 1 that had transmission problems that qualified me for lemon law. Ford offered me a new Mach 1 or a buyout and I opted for the buyout so I could get a Cobra. My only gripe is the fact it took 5 months for the whole process to get done. In the end it's worth it.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
I may be wrong...but I believe that the Lemon Law only applies to the original owner. If you think about it, you can understand the reasoning behind that. However, if you can get a history of the warranty work done on the car, you may be able to make a case for yourself if it's still suffering the same maladies.

Honestly...I think you're screwed. Besides, even if they did agree, you have a lot of miles to be deducted. That's what most people don't understand. Mileage is deducted from the price.

Let them try and fix it. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a problem pop up on my car with the cylinder heads so I could get a set of the updated heads!

cochran

Established Member
If you just want to get rid of the car, you can give it to me and all your problems will be solved.

raiders03

Banned
Originally posted by sprchrgmstng
:fm: Well, this is my first time using this forum and I hope you fellow Cobra drivers can help me understand or what to do. I bought my 03 Cobra Convertible last year, March 03. I only have 24,000 miles on it and i am not satisfied with my car. The Ford dealer here in California has replaced the PCM because my car was shuting off for no reason. Then the clutch has been replaced twice already. Right now my car has been at the dealer for like 1 month because its getting a new transmission & cylinder heads 6 & 8. Why is this happening. I have not modified my car at all. Can I use the "Lemon Law"? Please help!!!!!!! What I know once you work on the engine the car is not the same right? :fm:

I used the Lemon Law on my 01 Cobra. I had a cylinder head replaced. Then they put in a new motor and I had another problem with the cylinder heads. They then gave me a new 03 Cobra straight across the table. If you have the same problem twice, you can use the Lemon Law. Which dealer did you get your car from?

Chris C

Established Member
I'll Chime in on this... I just turned my car in for the lemon law 2 weeks about thursday....

I had 4 trannys in my car that always grinded 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 shifts, (like the clutch wasnt disengaging all the way). you can also lemon it if its in the shop for more than 30 days.

You will not get back ALL of your money but you will get back ALOT. i put 34,xxx miles on the car in 2 years, they ONLY took back 1,400 for mileage. should you opt for the buy back, you WILL get back your Down payment, every single monthly payment plus interest, and any money put in the car with FOMOCO on it... lo jack and things of that nature you lost money on. Its definately worth a try.. talk to some lawyers, they will be able to advise you best. Heres a # for the one i used. 858-485-9332. they did a really good job and was really fast everything took about 1 1/2 months. and they only charged me 5% of what i was getting. which came out to $935ish.

If you have any questions just PM me. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread