Legit ticket or local scam?

av8tr

Established Member
A few months ago I was in a 4 car caravan taking my son and one of his friends to their new home - college. My wife needed a pit stop so we pulled off and told the others we would catch up. Of course in the process of catching up I got a little bit over the limit - 94 in a 70 according to the officer but I'm not real sure the Honda Pilot would even do that with the back loaded down with stuff but that's not the point of this thread. He was polite as was I. He informed me that he COULD write me up as a "super speeder" but was going to let me off the hook and only write me for 80. He went on to explain that this would not go on my record in my home state and the fine was reasonable. I was guilty and I was caught. I got to thinking though that this seemed fishy. Speeding tickets in my state go on your record (points are a different story but again, another thread). Is this normal? BTW this was in Georgia.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
A few months ago I was in a 4 car caravan taking my son and one of his friends to their new home - college. My wife needed a pit stop so we pulled off and told the others we would catch up. Of course in the process of catching up I got a little bit over the limit - 94 in a 70 according to the officer but I'm not real sure the Honda Pilot would even do that with the back loaded down with stuff but that's not the point of this thread. He was polite as was I. He informed me that he COULD write me up as a "super speeder" but was going to let me off the hook and only write me for 80. He went on to explain that this would not go on my record in my home state and the fine was reasonable. I was guilty and I was caught. I got to thinking though that this seemed fishy. Speeding tickets in my state go on your record (points are a different story but again, another thread). Is this normal? BTW this was in Georgia.

Each state will handle out-of-state issued violations differently. You need to contact the agency responsible for issuing driver's licenses and ask them whether or not that ticket will show up on your record and how, if any, points would be assessed.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
Sharing of violations is covered by the Drivers Licence Compact administered by the AAMVA http://www.aamva.org/drivers-license-compacts/. Georgia is not a member so the violation should not show on your Alabama license.

Insurance is another matter which depends on the diligence of you insurance carrier. The good news is the insurance carriers rarely pick up out of state violations.

Last edited:

av8tr

Established Member
Great news, thanks Cobra ESQ. At my age even a speeding ticket won't affect my insurance rates too much.

A little background on why this had my suspicions aroused. About 20 years ago I was pulled over in a town known for being a speed trap. I knew better but got popped for 70 in a 65 - no arguments, guilty as charged. Well, several weeks later while cleaning out the car I noticed that I had forgotten to pay the ticket. I called the local State Police office to find out what I needed to do since I was sure there was a warrant issued. When I gave them the citation number it was not in their system and no warrants. When they were informed where I received the citation they told me it was my lucky day and to be sure and watch the news later that evening. The lone officer for the city and the mayor were busted earlier that morning for issuing citations that were never logged into the (?) uniform citation ticketing system (?). Those 2 were pocketing the fines. I can't recall how much prison time they received...

greenscobie86

Established Member
Wow... Quite a story there lol. Crooked cops...

Seriously though, good thing you got it "dismissed" so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread