Legal definition of drag racing?

SinisterSHO

Machine of Hate
Established Member
Got a drag racing ticket Saturday night. This was on the interstate, though. What exactly is the legal definition of drag racing? Two cars speeding together?

Also got a speeding ticket, but the cop never clocked us. Both of us had radar detectors, and neither went off. Would this help me any in court, or will it just be his word against mine? Last time I got a speeding ticket, I believe the officer listed what method he used to get my speed, this newest one doesn't have that listed anywhere.

Tickets were issued by an Illinois state officer.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Typically drag racing is two cars in a contest of speed, regardless of whether they exceed the speed limit. But each state has specifics in their statutes to define it.

As for the officer not "clocking" you, I assume you are making reference to the fact that he didnt use radar because your detector didnt go off? He could have paced you or used VASCAR.

I would recommend going to court and seeing if you can arrange to plead to a lesser charge and pay the fine.

Good Luck

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
I know for PA the Drag Racing law can be interpreted a few different ways. When I went to court for my racing ticket, I was prepared to defend my side of the story based on my interpretation of the Drag Racing portion of the vehicle code. I pled to a no points violation for missing a traffic signal, but still, your interpretation and the judges interpretation would be two different things.

03gtski

not to hi jack but a street racing ticket is pretty serious isnt it? some states have pretty stiff penalties dont they?

PSI87

Banned
In Florida a "Racing on Highway" charge is very broad. You can be by yourself even. Two of my friends were just caught doing 87 & 84 in a 50. One was behind the other. Neither of them got any radar either. Its considered racing against the clock. I'm no LEO, but I think if you get caught doing 30+ over (maybe less) it can be considered racing. I'm sure theres other variations of it also. And of coarse, if you actually are racing someone, at any speed, your guilty.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
346.94(2)
(2) Racing. No operator of a motor vehicle shall participate in any race or speed or endurance contest upon any highway.

State of Wisconsin

94EMStang

Pride, Integrity & Guts
Established Member
In Indiana it is called a Speed Contest: which states that a person may not engage in a motor vehicle speed contest on a highway or street. It is a Class B Misdemeanor in which you can serve up to 180 days in jail, face a maximum fine of $1000.00 and risk losing your drivers license for up to a year.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
94EMStang said:
In Indiana it is called a Speed Contest: which states that a person may not engage in a motor vehicle speed contest on a highway or street. It is a Class B Misdemeanor in which you can serve up to 180 days in jail, face a maximum fine of $1000.00 and risk losing your drivers license for up to a year.
Same punishment as in Florida. Your car is also impounded for 10 days.

Floof

McDoof
Established Member
Man those laws are lenient compared to CA. Mandatory 60 days in Jail, Car impounded then crushed, lose DL for 1-2 years, and lots of fines, IIRC. I just know it's BAD. Which is why I don't street race =)

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
The actual penalty for street racing in CA (generally) changed as of 2006. The old penalty upon conviction was no less than 24 hours or no more than 90 days in jail and vehicle impounded for 30 days and lein sold if not picked up.

The new penalty increases the minimum to no less than 30 days or no more than 6 months, impound time stays the same.

With that said, many cities have enacted their own ordinances that build in extra penalties as they try and cope with the increasing number of illegal street races.

jshen

Established Member
Many states are enacting "Fast & Furious" laws. As stated above, you don't have to be exceeding the speed limit to be charged and convicted of racing. In GA, having a working/connected nitrous system is illegal in and of itself...

By the way, you can be extradicted from Canada..

Last edited:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
Everyone is drag racing according to the above definitions. Everyone is in a speed contest, trying to outdistance each other; most often from stoplights, but also when passing on the highway. It seems like a vague definition to me. I think the definition of street/drag racing should be reworded. :shrug:

Last edited:

SinisterSHO

Machine of Hate
Established Member
FWIW. I wasn't exactly 'street racing' A group of us had just gone to the Chicago Auto Show. We were going from my friends house to a bar about 25 minutes away. Two guys, in matching cars, open highway, well you can guess the rest.

jshen

Established Member
Steeda30....See OCGA 40-6-186

Steeda30 said:
Everyone is drag racing according to the above definitions. Everyone is in a speed contest, trying to outdistance each other; most often from stoplights, but also when passing on the highway. It seems like a vague definition to me. I think the definition of street/drag racing should be reworded. :shrug:

(1) "Drag race" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerated speeds in a competitive attempt to outdistance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course from the same point to the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.
(2) "Racing" means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance, or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.
(b) No person shall drive any vehicle on a highway in this state in any race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition of speed, contest of speed, or test or exhibition of speed.

Very specific in GA and no speed is mentioned..Also a participant is anyone who "aids, abets, counsels, procures another"...If you are cheering on your friend, "boosting it up", ...may be convicted too.

Last edited:

AllVenom

Established Member
They just need to create autobahns here in the US...

J/K. Take it to the track, you can go as fast as you want there!

94CobraPace

Established Member
I agree with Steeda, that "everyone is drag racing according to the above definitions". Lots of power to the officer. Then trying to prove you are innocent instead of them trying to prove your guilt! Should be innocent untill proven guilty not the other way around?

Users who are viewing this thread